Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

A real Grail Kit just arrived, an original Monogram "Yellow Jacket" '30 Ford roadster from 1962. 

As far as I know, this is the only Monogram '30 Ford with a roadster body.  All others are either coupes or cabriolets, and all those came from the original "Six-Way" Monogram '30 Ford kit.

Even better, TWO of those hard-to-find bodies are in the box.  Along with a bunch of extra parts. Maybe enough for 2 complete builds.  As you can see, one is mostly built already. 

Thanks loads to ewetwo (David Gurga), who saw this kit at The Sales Shack and gave me a heads-up on it. And thanks to The Sales Shack for great service.  I only ordered the kit 3 days ago.  Their price was MUCH better than any Yellow Jacket kit on eBay.  This was my first order from The Sales Shack, but probably won't be the last.

yj_1-29-20.JPG

Edited by Mike999
goof

6 hours ago, Mike999 said:

A real Grail Kit just arrived, an original Monogram "Yellow Jacket" '30 Ford roadster from 1962. 

As far as I know, this is the only Monogram '30 Ford with a roadster body.  All others are either coupes or cabriolets, and all those came from the original "Six-Way" Monogram '30 Ford kit.

Even better, TWO of those hard-to-find bodies are in the box.  Along with a bunch of extra parts. Maybe enough for 2 complete builds.  As you can see, one is mostly built already. 

Thanks loads to ewetwo (David Gurga), who saw this kit at The Sales Shack and gave me a heads-up on it. And thanks to The Sales Shack for great service.  I only ordered the kit 3 days ago.  Their price was MUCH better than any Yellow Jacket kit on eBay.  This was my first order from The Sales Shack, but probably won't be the last.

yj_1-29-20.JPG

Congratulations Mike!  David is a good guy!

11 hours ago, slusher said:

Congratulations Mike!  David is a good guy!

Thanks, we have a lot of good people in here! 

For anybody who wants to improve a Yellow Jacket or any Monogram '30 Ford, here's a helpful build on the Drastic Plastics board.  The biggest problem with those kits is no rear wheel wells. The stock kit has wide-open spaces and you can see right thru the body.  Also, no lug nuts on the rear wheels.  This builder also does a very simple mod that drops the front axle a scale 3 inches, putting the nose down where it should be on a vintage  hot rod.

http://drasticplastics.proboards.com/thread/5751/monogram-yellow-jacket

On 1/29/2020 at 1:26 PM, Mike999 said:

How does this body differ from the coupe? It appears to be the same body, to me. It even has the molded roof locator pegs. I think it's a very cool kit, nonetheless. I love those old Monogram kits! I've built a ton of them! Nice pick-up!

1 hour ago, Straightliner59 said:

How does this body differ from the coupe? It appears to be the same body, to me. It even has the molded roof locator pegs. I think it's a very cool kit, nonetheless. I love those old Monogram kits! I've built a ton of them! Nice pick-up!

Thanks!  You're right, I just compared a Coupe body to the Yellow Jacket and they're identical. Just for fun I popped the Coupe roof onto the YJ body and it fit perfectly.  I saw the info about the unique roadster body in a couple of places, including the review I posted above.  The Internet was wrong!  How can this be? ?

Oh well, it does have the hot rod parts, those great decals and the box art, which I may display in the workshop.

On Jan. 6, an open Yellow Jacket kit on eBay got 9 bids and sold for $142.50. Glad I didn't chase that one!

On 1/30/2020 at 12:44 PM, kelson said:

These arrived today,wasn't impressed that HLJ took 5 1/2 weeks to deliver them:mellow:

Sounds like a long time, but let's see how it compares to how long it takes for you to build .... both of them. ?  I'm just amazed how much stuff we can get from around the world, such as Russia, that was interesting to see tracking to the border, then the wait for a few weeks.  I just got something from Taiwan.

I'm more excited about getting detail parts anymore, than kits.  Friends locally have been able to order at distributor prices and pass on to club members, so got wiring from different sources to compare, and of course Detail Master, and wanted to see how Kens carpet compares to Hiroboy that I've been using.  Who didn't know Tamiya makes lacquer paint?  cheyenne93 led me to the diamond plate sheets, was thinking of running boards on the Ferrari. ?

IMG_1469_Fotor.jpg

I got this off of eBay for what I thought was a very good price considering how cleanly it was built. The ramps are a little mismatched from what came with it new, but nothing to complain about.  Haven’t decided whether to leave the roof with the tilt or straighten it out, it is a stunt car after all. Might need to hunt up the other two cars and the hauler ( that might be hard to find). 

20F9F68A-6EA8-417E-B051-6DDEE314329D.jpeg

FBABC093-C864-4066-BEF3-8821EBEB79D9.jpeg

A3F59FE2-921C-4A46-A5C3-BCAAFC332440.jpeg

33 minutes ago, FredRPG said:

I got this off of eBay for what I thought was a very good price considering how cleanly it was built. The ramps are a little mismatched from what came with it new, but nothing to complain about.  Haven’t decided whether to leave the roof with the tilt or straighten it out, it is a stunt car after all. Might need to hunt up the other two cars and the hauler ( that might be hard to find). 

Good find!  The builder did a nice clean job on the ramps.

Not that I want to tempt you or anything...but there's an AMT #T447 ToT Transporter kit on eBay right now. $189.99 or best offer.

3 hours ago, FredRPG said:

20F9F68A-6EA8-417E-B051-6DDEE314329D.jpeg

FBABC093-C864-4066-BEF3-8821EBEB79D9.jpeg

A3F59FE2-921C-4A46-A5C3-BCAAFC332440.jpeg

These are the nicest set of ramps I have ever seen from these kits. I have a few glue bomb ramp pieces from ebay that look like all the rest I have ever found. 

19 minutes ago, ranma said:

No Photo, But I scored a AMT/ERTL 310 John Deere backhoe model that is open but sealed inside for $25.00!!!!!

That was a steal!  In Sept. 2019 I put one of those Backhoes on eBay, also open but sealed inside.  It sold for $63.00 + shipping.

The other half of the story: at a local flea market, I found a Backhoe kit for $10. It has some minor assembly and painting, but everything is there. I don't want to build 2 of those kits, so the partly-built one will work for me.  

• ranma changed the title to Bought two totes with model's in them at the US 127 Garage sales:: here's what was inside of them...