Model Cars Magazine Forum

Getting My Fix, Store or E-bay ?

What is the preferred way of getting our fix. I live in a major metro area of 2 million plus people. But even still, buying models, I have to travel quite far to the "local" hobby store. Once there, it is rare to fine the old "cool" kit. I fine that e-bay lately has become my preferred method for getting what I want. Comments ????????

eBay, with it's worldwide reach, will always have more variety than any local store could possibly have. I have yet to purchase from eBay, I guess I am just different in that respect. I haven't seen anything on there that I had to have that would cause me to open an account and become a regular.

I find those older kits at hobby shows and swap meets in the area where I live. There are several within a 2 hour drive throughout the year and what I like best about them is that I can physically see what I am getting before plunking down my cash.

I have also found that trading with members here has allowed me to get rid of models for those that I missed out on in years past. Many members here are great traders and it is a way to add to your collection without spending big bucks on the bay!

As I thin out my collection, I am trying to concentrate on those models I am likely to build and have some real interest for me.

Edited by mikemodeler

For new kits I go to a hobby shop. For older kits I search ebay and try to find what I'm looking for. The shipping costs have been getting out of hand of late however.

I noticed that too as of late. I used to be great deal using e-bay. Now after shipping it can be twice as much

I use ebay, LHS, kit shows and model shows. Plus, it also helps being in a model car club. Some members usually bring in kits to sell or trade and you can always announce a request at the meeting and get some pretty cool deals going.

My LHS usually is used for the new stuff or supplies, the kit shows are a great place to buy in bulk and find the cool vintage stuff at a great price without shipping.

Chris, with the current shipping costs I find it cheaper to drive from here to Toronto to purchase there than to go e-Bay route Shipping has pretty much killed any e-Baying I do unless it's a rare kit or one oop I really want.

I use ebay, LHS, kit shows and model shows. Plus, it also helps being in a model car club. Some members usually bring in kits to sell or trade and you can always announce a request at the meeting and get some pretty cool deals going.

My LHS usually is used for the new stuff or supplies, the kit shows are a great place to buy in bulk and find the cool vintage stuff at a great price without shipping.

what is "LHS" please forgive me

I shop local first, Then if I am searching for an old release I search the internet.

There are the ebay stores with good prices all around & I do shop with them for Detail & Resin items.

Like everyone else Ebay shipping has become expensive. Some auctions charging at nearly the price of a kit if not more. Plain & simple, Those sellers I do NOT trade with. Just a way to make extra profits on the sale IMO .

Edited by Gramps2u

Chris,

Where in the Toronto area are you? There are model stores in the West end, Central and East end. If Panther is that far away, I am guessing you are in the East end. Check out Dailey Hobbies in Whitby, Wheels & Wings on the Danforth.

Danger

Chris,

Where in the Toronto area are you? There are model stores in the West end, Central and East end. If Panther is that far away, I am guessing you are in the East end. Check out Dailey Hobbies in Whitby, Wheels & Wings on the Danforth.

Danger

Thanks for the tips, I am central, but closer to east end. Next Day off, I might take a road trip!!!

Some auctions charging at nearly the price of a kit if not more. Plain & simple, Those sellers I do NOT trade with. Just a way to make extra profits on the sale IMO .

I know some sellers over inflate postage costs.

but just as an example. I just ck'd costs to ship a single model kit to Canada from Northern Ky , price was just under $17

Same box to Florida is $8

Same box to California is $10

Thanks for the tips, I am central, but closer to east end. Next Day off, I might take a road trip!!!

Alex Kung has a Hobby Shop directory for the Toronto area. He updates it frequently.

http://www.alexkung1.com/scale/shoppin/shoppin.htm

Sad to say the list has drastically reduced compared to when I was still living in Toronto in 2000.

Edited by fumi

Over the years, ie before shipping costs went ballistic, I would buy where ever I could find what I wanted. Besides shipping costs which are what drove me away from ebay the couple of online shops for old kits that I frequently checked on have closed leaving only LHS as a source of supplies. Fortunately in those "pre-ballistic days" I bought far more kits then I'll ever build so my few kit needs are easily taken care of by the LHS. The only stuff I order online for anymore is the aftermarket stuff. Despite this when I travel I should have a bumper sticker on the car that states, 'This Vehicle Stops For All Hobby Shops'.

Whichever is cheaper. Hobby Lobby or Michaels coupons are great and online is a good place to get kits if you can get free or bulk shipping if you buy a lot of stuff. Ebay sucks for shipping charges. What good is scoring a kit for $5 if it costs $12 to ship it?

I don't support the local Hobbytown anymore since the 'owner' jacked the prices sky high. He even marks up the magazines!! Of course if you really want to waste money there is always jptoys on ebay.

Back in 2003 when I started college, I only used Ebay. I did SO much turn around there, I paid for my semesters books. I was in Laramie, Wyoming and then trans back to IL, Macomb. Both towns are middle of nowhere and hours drive from big enough towns to even have a hobby shop. But Ebay went whacky in the mid '00s and I stopped, never bought a single thing from then again.

Now I get kits from LHS, online stores, swap meets (when I can make one) and now trading (via on here). I would rather trade with someone than go though all that Ebay garbage of selling, S/H, insurance, emails, bla bla bla.......