Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Irked You Today?

LokisTyro

Yes, I agree with that too...though I wasn't referring to the actual updating process disrupting work. I'll often shut down the machine as a t-storm is approaching, having been zapped by a line spike before. Waiting for a damm update to do its thing in that scenario can be a little annoying too.

HOWEVER...

The most recent update has fooled with the functionality of several NON-Microsoft programs...somehow...which only became apparent well AFTER the update, like DAYS after, when I tried to use the programs.

That thunderstorm thing here in Arizona with the monsoon storms can be a real hassle. Always shut down and unplug for them.

The only non-Microsoft program I use regularly is GIMP and haven't seen any problems with it yet. Maybe should open up Inkscape , Open Office and Pepakura (which W10 dislikes worse then Nikon cameras) and check them out also. Thanks for the heads-up.

Landed on my butt when I sat in a lawn chair that apparently had one back leg in a rabbit or gopher hole. Pretty well crippled right now, just about need a walker to get around the house. I haven't had back problems for several months, mostly due to losing some weight and doing targeted exercises. I'd forgotten how debilitating a bad back can really be.

Bugger. I have work to do...

Bill - Go get it checked out. I fell and landed on my butt many years ago. Ended up breaking two vertebrae and didn't know it for about 10 years. I could have prevented a lot of my current pain if I had just went to the doctor then. I used to be young, tough and stupid. Now I am old, broken down and stupid.

Bill - Go get it checked out. I fell and landed on my butt many years ago. Ended up breaking two vertebrae and didn't know it for about 10 years. I could have prevented a lot of my current pain if I had just went to the doctor then. I used to be young, tough and stupid. Now I am old, broken down and stupid.

Bill....you should go get checked out....no one should have to deal with what I do and the longer one puts it off the more damage can be done.

The TV show Big Brother. I watch it with my wife because she enjoys it. That what irks me, I love my wife but she is invested so much energy and feelings into these people I can't believe it. I could not care less who stays or gets evicted but she yells at the TV like it's a football game. It is on again tonight. Maybe I can go to the bathroom and fail to return and watch TV in the bedroom ?????? She watches some of the stuff I enjoy that she doesn't care for so I guess it's fair.

there is nothing wrong with you watching the bedroom tv. 

after 26 yrs, my wife and me still can not stand each others shows and she has a flatscreen in the bedroom to watch and i got one in the living room to watch. we have not watched any tv together in yrs. we do have an extensive dvd collection (yeah, yeah....) and sometimes we might watch a flick together, pretty tough though when i like "shoot em up" and she likes "heartfelt"...

My wife and I watch separate TV's also and it seems to work just fine for us.

OK, I have one here.   Maybe someone can relate.

I love watching this, my home is located near a day clinic in a quiet zoned area, so not much street action otherwise.  So I've had a lot of opportunities to watch this stuff. 

Parking procedures of women drivers.

Women drivers will without a doubt successfully use up 3 parking spaces for their own use while parallel parking.  Love it.  A parking place long enough to almost allow a semi truck to pull in without backing up, and a woman driver will park the car right smack dab in the middle.  She gets out and checks too if there's enough room (or whatever).

Recently as I took the garbage out, I had an opportunity to watch an action like this live, first hand.  She even backed up into a 3 car space!  Well, I just had to ask how come she needs 3 car spaces to park her car.

I get a F-U answer.  Love it.  She was an overly proportioned and not a model-type looking person, her clothes were not very neat either, her toenail polish had also seen better days, so I was easily able to relay my disdain.

I did laugh afterwards, but still I was irked.

The trouble is Women have problems with spatial awareness. They drive up your bumper on the highway, at least they do me. I never brake check as that would give them a red light warning. I usually let off the accelerator and let them see they are about to drive up my tailpipe. Does that deter them? Heck no! I've been pushed into intersections by women hitting my tire on my bike. Parking? Spots where a school bus could park in are barely enough for a Hyundai. This will be harsh this next bit.... When I lived in Baltimore there was a Filipino chick next door. She had a Hybrid something or other. I watched her on numerous occasions take as long as 10 minutes to put that thing in a space made for two sixties station wagons. That thing unnerved me the way it's electric motor took over and had that whirring sound as she TRIED to park it. So I got Asian and Woman in the same person on that one. The only good thing was she was a little loosey goosey and I plied her with wine a few times. But that's another story.....

In the KC Metro area, and Johnson County in particular, parking issues don't seem to be a gender problem so much as a total lack of depth perception and the ability to operate a motor vehicle in general.  There seems to be a disproportionate number of large SUV vehicles operated with only one person. They don't seem to parked so much as docked or abandoned. I have seen sub compacts that manage to get a tire in three adjoining parking spots.  And no mater where you park to get away from these idiots when you come back one of them has parked so close next to you it is imposable to get in your car. I hope a run away shopping cart rolls into each and every one of them.    

Sorry to hear that Bill. I hope you are better soon.

Bill sorry to hear you hurt your back. Take care of yourself.

Hope you get better soon really sucks hurting your back!!!

vince

Bill....you should go get checked out....no one should have to deal with what I do and the longer one puts it off the more damage can be done.

Thanks guys. I stayed off my feet for a few days, and got back to semi-normal. I've been working short days and walking as much as possible, and think I'll be 100% shortly. Last time I went to the doc for something relatively minor, they did permanent damage to me (which kinda changed my life...and not in a good way). I waited too long to sue, and now I avoid them unless blood is pouring out on the floor and I don't have the right size cork.   ;)

Agree, but at least I somehow managed to get mine to only update when I'm shutting down. The problem then is it doesn't let you know there is an update until you start to shut down, then you're stuck as you're trying to go to bed or head out the door for an appointment.

My company IT deploys stuff in the middle of the day without warning.  On Wednesday we have our bi-weekly technical session and 45 people logged into the Skype session (which means 60 people watching since some sites use a conference room for several people)  and Mr Microsoft comes across the screen.... "Deploying Itzofrazitz patch" and the screen goes blank knocking me out of the meeting.  Fortunately we use a phone line for the audio so we were still in communication.. but 60 people sitting doing nothing for 3 minutes!   

And another little thing, not totally unexpected but still mildly irksome...I bought a "manufacturer refurbished" Dell Win7 Pro laptop for a specific use...to tune the EFI in a project car I'm working on. Good price, good feedback for the seller, advertised as "reconditioned by our expert technicians to be in 100% as-new working condition, but with a few minor appearance imperfections from use". Fine. I didn't expect a new machine. What I GOT was missing the retainer screw that holds the disc drive in...which fell out on the floor, a mostly non-functional touch-pad, and an SD card slot that looks like it was attacked by a chimp with a hammer and screwdriver. It also seems to be missing the drivers that allow it to recognize a wi-fi OR hardwired network. I can't connect to the net with it to GET the drivers, and the SD slot looks to be iffy at best, so getting the drivers in that way is possibly problematic too. Apparently the "expert technicians" are being drawn from the same ability-pool as most of the "mechanics" whose work I correct on a daily basis now.

Can I fix it? Yeah, but I bought it to USE...not to become another rebuild project. Now...to see if they will honor the 30-day refund promise...

On a daily basis when reading the 'internets'

Basic literacy and correct use of terminology.

I'm not talking about knowing and using big words accurately, I'm not talking about typos or getting punctuation 100% correct.

I'm talking about things like 

there /their / they're 

Your / you're 

To / too

But my main one that really makes me wince is should of instead of HAVE!

On a daily basis when reading the 'internets'

Basic literacy and correct use of terminology.

I'm not talking about knowing and using big words accurately, I'm not talking about typos or getting punctuation 100% correct.

I'm talking about things like 

there /their / they're 

Your / you're 

To / too

Yeah, the good ol' US of A never really led the world in basic English literacy, but it seems to be getting worse daily. Maybe it's because so many uneducated fools have internet access, so we're just seeing MORE of how widespread the problem is, but...

I'm seeing these same mistakes more and more often made by "professional writers" and "journalists", and "tech" people who don't understand simple fractions, etc. How do you graduate high-school or get a degree with almost ZERO basic skills?

The wild part is that a LOT of them seem to be proud of their ignorance, and wear it as some kind of anti-nerd badge of honor.

Yeah, the good ol' US of A never really led the world in basic English literacy, but it seems to be getting worse daily. Maybe it's because so many uneducated fools have internet access, so we're just seeing MORE of how widespread the problem is, but...

I'm seeing these same mistakes more and more often made by "professional writers" and "journalists", and "tech" people who don't understand simple fractions, etc. How do you graduate high-school or get a degree with almost ZERO basic skills?

The wild part is that a LOT of them seem to be proud of their ignorance, and wear it as some kind of anti-nerd badge of honor.

be wary of those drones, they'll be the first ones to mob you and take your stuff when the apocalypse happens.

(now, if you build a maze around your property, that might hold them off for a while)

• 2 weeks later...

Well, it wasn't today, but I had a funeral on my list of things to do so just getting around to this. Found out officially on Friday.

The job I was supposed to start on Tuesday is going to be another two weeks at least. Paperwork/background check stuff not done on time. Not my fault, the company that does this stuff for the hiring company is known for delays. :angry: The hiring company apparently only starts new people every other week, so no chance of starting earlier.

Wish the agency had told me this upfront, now I am just hoping that the hiring manager doesn't dump me. I was really counting on starting this week.

Russ