Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Irked You Today?

LokisTyro

12 minutes ago, Chuck Kourouklis said:

No disagreement from me there.  I resent that it happened.

Funny how someone is confused by my post. Guess we don’t have a 🤬

Repeats every new kit announcement. Just worsening each round. 
I don’t even care about a 57yo base trim boite de merde. I wanted to see the build. 

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, keyser said:

This board badly mistreated a very smart and supportive friend to the whole automotive world, not just modelers. Just pathetic, and Tim was just giving a preview of a kit he didn’t design or produce!

So shoot off your mouths and feet. 
And at this point accuracy is irrelevant. People owe an apology and thanks to the people that bring us news and previews. 

I love accuracy. But not at cost of humanity or civility. Might as well discuss politics, same approaches. Grow the blah up, and man up. 

Measure x2, cut once. Think x3 then shoot off mouth. And know target not messenger. 

Sad thing is we were being given a special preview of the kit.

Doubt any manufacturer viewing that train wreck will want to subject themselves to the nonsense that went on. 

End result is the minority ruining it for the rest of us.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bobthehobbyguy said:

Sad thing is we were being given a special preview of the kit.

Doubt any manufacturer viewing that train wreck will want to subject themselves to the nonsense that went on. 

End result is the minority ruining it for the rest of us.

It's a real shame Tim Boyd got dumped on for trying to be helpful to the forum, but it's hardly unusual behavior here.

It's also a real shame that people blame those who point out shortcomings in a kit as the bad guys, rather than those who actually have the responsibility for avoiding said shortcomings in the first place. It is their JOB, after all, for which they're PAID.

Personally, I rather like the "chopped" look of the little Nova gasser, and whatever the discrepancy between the model's dimensions and stock reality, it sure as hell won't stop me buying a couple. 

Confused yet?   B)

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
CLARITY and ACCURACY
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

traffic had it's head further up it's butt than normal this morning.  and it was blue sky's and sunny all day, temps in the mid 80's with low humidity.  then 3 o'clock rolled around and cooled down a maybe 5 degrees and the humidity climbed, and the doom and gloom set in.  then driving home traffic was still more clueless and ass dragging than normal, but they were also freaked out by spots of heavy wind, and lightning literally 5+ miles away.  see lighting, swerve a bit, and slow down.  it wasn't even raining yet (I’m astonished)!  now there's a thunder storm rolling through, got lots of lightning and thunder (not irked by that.  i like rain and lightning and thunder don't bother me)

this is some weird weather for Southern California.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

It's a real shame Tim Boyd got dumped on for trying to be helpful to the forum, but it's hardly unusual behavior here.

Confused yet?   B)

No it isn’t unusual. 
If anyone confused, sad for them  

Dr  Steve  comedy gold 

A3DA3113-FE10-47BF-BAFB-397C07CC442D.gif.45c83e9c60365933c54dbb24217d0f2d.gif

• Confused 1

On 10/3/2021 at 9:18 PM, bobthehobbyguy said:

Well a Bronx cheer to the minority that contributed to the chevy 2 gasser test shot review fiasco. I get some weren't happy with the body but there is also a lot good in this new kit. However most of us don't see the roof as an issue or don't necessary see a problem with the roof.

Too many times any flaws in a kit overshadow any of the positives.

For the majority it is a great kit. For those not happy no kit manufacturer is going to spend thousands of dollars to fix a problem to sell a few more kits when the majority is happy with the product. 

i agree and I see no problem. Glad to see a new model…

I always appreciate someone taking the time to review a model especially as detailed as this one was. I have decided to buy or not buy models based on the time spent informing me of what's in the box and in this case, building what's in the box.

On 10/5/2021 at 12:45 PM, Snake45 said:

For some weird reason, something my Mom used to say just popped into my head: 

"You keep pickin' at that scab and it's gonna get infected." 

:unsure:;)

No N o No. "It will never heal" 

• Thanks 1

i seemed to have lost my model building motivation lately. i built a few kits back to back and then i had an issue with one. i tried to rebuild it again and it didnt work out again because of bad fitment, and after that i couldnt get it going again.

i tried to build a new kit, that i know goes together well and got halfway through it and i put it back in the box. i just havent been able to do it. 

i even got as far as fully priming a kit of my very favorite rally car, and then looked at what was required for the paint, and the amount of taping needed for the different colors and put it back in the box. i want to build something, but once i pick up the kit and look at the pieces,  i just cant bring myself to work on it.

maybe i need to grab a snap kit or something

On 10/4/2021 at 7:55 AM, Ace-Garageguy said:

Add mine too.

It doesn't take "thousands of dollars to fix a problem to sell a few more kits when the majority is happy with the product".

All it takes is to get the measuring right BEFORE the tooling is cut.

It's called "professionalism", AKA "competence".

Actually Bill I was ignoring those who were disrespectful to Tim. They definitely should have known better. I have no time to waste on them. I'm open minded enough to not to have to ignore somebody simply because I don't agree with them. 

• Thanks 1

While I have been a model builder for many years on and off and right now in a deep slump due to health issues, I buy model car kits if they are something I'M interested in and it doesn't matter to me if the emblem on the body is 3/32" scale inches off or the windshield washer fluid bottle is set back too far, etc.  When I buy and build a kit I do it because I want to and because it would look great on MY shelf. When I display my built models at club meetings, NNL's, or contest other builders don't look at my builds with a micrometer, or other such tools. In fact to ME when a new kit is issued, the choice to buy the kit is VERY simple, either I want it or I don't. And no I rarely "fix" a kit to any degree. Last kit I fixed had two fluid bottles mounted on the top of the fender well and one needed to be removed, simple.

If a builder wants to rag about a kit and spends their modeling time writing to the manufacturer, or other builders, to me that's wasting time and I have plenty of other ways to waste my time instead of the context of plastic pieces in a model box.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, MrMiles said:

i seemed to have lost my model building motivation lately. i built a few kits back to back and then i had an issue with one. i tried to rebuild it again and it didnt work out again because of bad fitment, and after that i couldnt get it going again.

i tried to build a new kit, that i know goes together well and got halfway through it and i put it back in the box. i just havent been able to do it. 

i even got as far as fully priming a kit of my very favorite rally car, and then looked at what was required for the paint, and the amount of taping needed for the different colors and put it back in the box. i want to build something, but once i pick up the kit and look at the pieces,  i just cant bring myself to work on it.

maybe i need to grab a snap kit or something

I think it happens for many of us, been suffering a bit a slump myself. When I get into these slumps I think back on the times when I built models as a kid. In fact I'm finishing up a Weirdos flame out Freddy. Far from perfect. Some of the hand painting is a little rough but its been fun. Sometimes we gotta become that kid again.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, bobthehobbyguy said:

I think it happens for many of us, been suffering a bit a slump myself. When I get into these slumps I think back on the times when I built models as a kid. In fact I'm finishing up a Weirdos flame out Freddy. Far from perfect. Some of the hand painting is a little rough but its been fun. Sometimes we gotta become that kid again.

This is one reason I enjoy my glue bomb "rescue" projects so much. They're fast, fairly simple (in most cases), and I accept the fact going in that they're not gonna end up "perfect," so there's no stress. I also really enjoy projects where I can just polish the plastic and not have all the hassles of painting. And Silver Sharpies are my best modeling friend. 

It's a hobby. It's supposed to be FUN.  If you're not having FUN, you're not doing it right. B)

• Thanks 1

Welp, here's how I'm breaking my slump...

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Glue-bombed some together as a kid, and this is my first-ever serious attempt at a warbird.  New-tool Airfix is nice 'cause they tell you so on the box, it's reasonably up-to-the-minute in detail, and it's relatively inexpensive so you don't have to be depressed if it all goes pear-shaped.  YouTube is lousy with buildups all over the place.

This 1/48 Hurricane's been a right blast so far.  Introduced me to Mission Models, a stellar line of acrylic paints; finally pushed me to use the little Tamiya weathering kit too, which made its advantages for car use obvious.

Lotsa fun on the bench.  It's these discussions that have gotten onerous lately.

Thank God one really has nothing to do with the other.

• Like 2