Model Cars Magazine Forum

1901 De Dion Bouton

Harry P.

Although this is a 1/16 scale model and technically a "Big Boyz" subject, the model is actually so small that I thought I'd post it here instead. In case you want to see the process, the full detailed WIP can be found here.

This is the kit I started with... very simplified, much detail missing, only about 50 parts altogether:

box-cover_zps9ffb3fcd.jpg

I added poseable steering by rebuilding the front spindles and adding a steering linkage, I added a scratchbuilt top with brass rod top supports, added various details like the oil filler tube on the rear end, the fender brackets, replaced the molded plastic armrests on the passenger seat with real brass, etc., etc. Here you can see just how small this "big scale" model is:

finished1_zps77e91259.jpg

The biggest problem with this kit is the out-of-scale spokes. They're way too thick, but since this is such a small model, I didn't bother trying to scratchbuild wire wheels. If I find a source for better 1/16 scale wire wheels, I might replace these... but for now I'm going to live with it.

finished4_zpsefece4d6.jpg

finished2_zpsc609e18f.jpg

finished3_zps4b3402fd.jpg

That's terrific. Excellent work. Even with the spokes, it looks very authentic. That cannot be 1/16.

It is. The real car is tiny... about golf cart size. Here is a shot of my 1886 Benz Motorkutche ("motor coach") compared to the DeDion. Both models are 1/16 scale. The Benz was also a small car, but compared to the DeDion, it looks huge.

dedion-benz_zps0283c7a7.jpg