Model Cars Magazine Forum

Meng 1/24th Ford F-350

I hope not. We'll get the least popular version with the least options and have to buy three kits to get the version we want. I had never heard of Meng models before today. Looking at their test shot and parts layout, I'm impressed. I keep coming back to this thread and pouring over all of those parts. Personally, I sure won't mind $40-$50 for this kit.

not to mention the grille and bumper being a one piece unit! but this new kit should look pretty sweet next to the monogram f250/350.

A big, but pleasant, surprise to me! Really looking forward to this kit. As I also build AFV´s I know Meng quite well. They produce wonderful kits with a high level of detail but engineered to make them easy to build. Moulding quality is very high and fit is excellent. Personally, I think Meng is like Tamiya but with more detail.

A big, but pleasant, surprise to me! Really looking forward to this kit. As I also build AFV´s I know Meng quite well. They produce wonderful kits with a high level of detail but engineered to make them easy to build. Moulding quality is very high and fit is excellent. Personally, I think Meng is like Tamiya but with more detail.

X2

I see an NHP commercial motor vehicle enforcement truck, an LVMPD SWAT truck, an SLMPD Mounted Patrol truck with horse trailer, LVFD Haz Mat Unit.......................

Oh Meng between this and the new Achzarit and Bradley you want all my money don't you?

G

I hope not. We'll get the least popular version with the least options and have to buy three kits to get the version we want. I had never heard of Meng models before today. Looking at their test shot and parts layout, I'm impressed. I keep coming back to this thread and pouring over all of those parts. Personally, I sure won't mind $40-$50 for this kit.

I kinda understand/sympathize with the sentiment here.

But based on Revell's new '70 'cuda kit and all the factory-correct options that single kit includes, I don't think one should assume that a newly-tooled Revell Ford pickup kit would cover only one version, and/or that it would be the least desirable version at that.

And while I have absolutely zero insider knowledge that would suggest such a project is under consideration, I would love to see Revell do a kit of the all-new, aluminum-bodied 2015 Ford F150.

If they did, wouldn't it be cool to do a "fight to the death" duel/comparo between that kit and this new Meng F350?

TIM

Looks great. If it was 1/25, I would already be sending Paypals to anybody named Meng! I have just been trying to purge my collection of 1/24 kits, but this would really look great with a Galaxie trailer and updated Monogram sprint car. Lots of light commercial and scratchbuilding opportunities with a 350 too. Lots of these are used for parking lot maintainance and snow removal up here with a plow and salting equipment. Lots of contractors use them for everything from electrical to plumbing. I see a nice welding truck here. I also could scratch a utility box for it. I'll have to see the price, and decide if an off scale kit is worth it to me, but I really like what I am seeing.

For those not familiar with Meng and what they do, here's a peek at their booth at Nuremburg. As I said before, they're easily the best of the Chinese companies and seem to me to be almost on a Japanese level of fit and precision. So far they haven't been plagued with the shape and dimensional errors most Chinese kits seem to have.

I must admit to having a bit of a soft spot for Meng, as I played a small role in landing them their first US distribution deal (well, I found out their e-mail address and gave it to my boss at the time, that's all I did, but in a way I was the person who first "discovered" Meng Models in the US)

http://www.themodellingnews.com/2014/01/meng-models-they-are-at-nuremburg-toy.html

Meng+Nuremburg+2014+F-350+24th+scale+%28

Edited by Brett Barrow

I've never heard of Meng until yesterday,but the quality of the tooling looks impressive!,i'm glad to see Meng stepping up and offering a kit the other companies aren't interested in doing,hopefully we will see more of this in the future.

IF that happened, Revell would certainly die a quick and almost painless death. Sorry, but Revell has been out of the pickup game for almost a decade and a half. When they were in the game, they were a mediocre team at best.

I'm not going to suggest that Revell would win, but the company/team you are describing has moved on considerably over that decade and a half. My guess is that you would find them to be a very formidable competitor. TB

Better sprue pics here:

http://www.primeportal.net/models/thomas_voigt8/meng/

And yeah, based on the ballpark figures from Meng, a $70 US MSRP is probably about right. But they haven't given a final price yet. Looks like April/May is the new target date, BTW. This kit is pretty far along.

Edited by Brett Barrow

I'm not going to suggest that Revell would win, but the company/team you are describing has moved on considerably over that decade and a half. My guess is that you would find them to be a very formidable competitor. TB

Revell US needs to up their game regarding accuracy, given the flawed recent new tool kits they've put out. Revell of Germany, though, I could see potentially producing something w/ this level of accuracy.

Edited by Rob Hall

Better sprue pics here:

http://www.primeportal.net/models/thomas_voigt8/meng/

And yeah, based on the ballpark figures from Meng, a $70 US MSRP is probably about right. But they haven't given a final price yet. Looks like April/May is the new target date, BTW. This kit is pretty far along.

Even better news, hopefully they also look into the possibility of a wrecker truck based on this kit, that's a hint Brett ;^)

Revell US needs to up their game regarding accuracy, given the flawed recent new tool kits they've put out. Revell of Germany, though, I could see potentially producing something w/ this level of accuracy.

Again, not my role here to defend Revell, but a number if people who've built their '57 Ford Custom or the '50 Olds Custom would suggest that those are among the best new-tooled kits on the market at the moment. Not to mention that they are selling for 1/2 to 1/3 the price of 1/24th scale newly tooled imported kits.

But it's nothing more than a theoretical argument at this point anyway, because Revell hasn't announced any new light duty truck subjects that I am aware of....TB