Model Cars Magazine Forum

if you won the lotto.....

tubbs

they say money changed everything........

I know what your thinking, and no, I am not looking for what you would buy, I am looking for how it would change things. for instance, I am not ashamed to say that the wife takes care of all our finances (that's why my runner has been sitting for years), anyways, we had a discussion last night about how we would have no worries if we won. now, I have been married for almost 28 years and I love my wife.... but, I had mentioned that if we won, how I would build a big ol barn and fill it with magazines, models and 1:1 cars, and her response was "why do you need all those, don't you have enough already?" really, I am sure it was more of an answer saying we will never win or wouldn't I want to travel, or something different, but it just was a little bit of a shock and if we had a few million, she may change her opinion. I do know someone who hit, they divorced about a year after (no kids involved) because they had totally different Ideas on what they wanted. it seems the money made them fall out of love. besides the material side, would anything change in your life, and would the material things change who you are and how your life is now.

Almost everyone who wins a huge amount of money sees their life change, usually for the worse. Having an endless supply of money allows you to make choices you couldn't make if you didn't have the money... choices you would never have even considered because it just wasn't possible. Suddenly you have all this cash and your previous sense of reality and common sense get blown away, and you tend to go a bit crazy and tend to make stupid decisions.

To tell the truth, I've got all the "stuff" I'll ever want. What I don't have is the time to work on all that stuff, and really enjoy it...even the hot, sweaty, dirty work. I REALLY want to build something to run at Bonneville before I die. And I'd like to have more time to travel.

That said, I always thought if I came into a lot of unearned money, I'd give half of it to something I believe in...like research into childhood cancer. And I'd like to build some demo projects to showcase just how energy-efficiently we can live without spending huge sums of money to do it, or being slaves to government-mandated energy and pollution programs that just don't work.

But being a greedy, self-serving human, I'd keep the rest and spend just a little more recklessly than I do now.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

If I won the lottery and money was no object... i'd pay off all my debt, get more, then pay it off too. Pay off all my parents debt, my sisters debt, and if my friends were nice enough, theirs too. Then do absolutely nothing because I hate work, and do what I wanna do every second of every day. Which is work on cars at my own pace. If I had enough money left over, I'd buy a giant building and pack it to the brim full of awesome tools and equipment, and even more cars, and just work on stuff. Maybe start my own junk yard and buy all sorts of stuff... yeah I'd be that guy. Maybe even start a gas monkey/counts customs sort of business with all of that and sit back and be the eccentric owner and hope that it supports itself while building my collection lol. I'd own soo much stuff that when I die they would rather just burn it all than sort thru it. I probably wouldnt go for a massive mansion, because thats just silly, but a nice house would be decent... I like old houses so who knows.

I like stuff... and hot rods. and I'd live my dream.

So yes, money would change things.

those are great answers, but just what would it do to your personal life, your kids going to school, neighbors, strangers, even businesses knocking on the door, your wife/girlfriend wants to travel and you don't, your wife/girlfriends friends or girlfriends what to travel with you. would you pack up and move to a bigger house, different state, try to stay anonymous? would you have a gambling problem in Vegas? I would imagine that it would get mighty old having people hit you up for cash every day, you would have so many friends, women at your door, temptation would be there 24/7.....

that's what I am talking about.. too hard to keep all that money under wraps. you may want to live quietly, but it seems almost impossible.

If I won millions in the lottery I would definitely try to keep it anonymous. I wouldn't even tell my kids, because I want them to live normal lives, not lives driven by money. Of course, they would all get a nice surprise after I checked out... but I wouldn't tell them or give them the money while I was still around. I would try as hard as I could to not live an extravagant life... I'd try to invest almost all of it, and let my kids enjoy it after I'm gone. About the only thing I wish I had, but don't have, because I can't afford it, is a really cool car. I would probably splurge and buy myself a really nice car, but other than that, I'm pretty happy with what I have.

But it would be pretty cool to be able to buy pretty much anything I wanted without having to check the price first! :D

If I won millions in the lottery I would definitely try to keep it anonymous. I wouldn't even tell my kids, because I want them to live normal lives, not lives driven by money. Of course, they would all get a nice surprise after I checked out... but I wouldn't tell them or give them the money while I was still around. I would try as hard as I could to not live an extravagant life... I'd try to invest almost all of it, and let my kids enjoy it after I'm gone. About the only thing I wish I had, but don't have, because I can't afford it, is a really cool car. I would probably splurge and buy myself a really nice car, but other than that, I'm pretty happy with what I have.

But it would be pretty cool to be able to buy pretty much anything I wanted without having to check the price first! :D

Agreed 100%

Harry why would you not want to see your kids enjoy your gift?

Because the odds are that I wouldn't agree with some of their spending decisions, and would probably try to play the "parent card" and tell them how I think they should be using the money. It's inevitable that as a parent, you would tend to want to control or influence their decisions to some degree... so I'd rather invest and grow it, and then they inherit it after I'm gone and either spend or invest as they see fit without my (or their mother's) interference. That way we avoid all possible arguments about the money and how it should be best used. It would be 100% their decision, right or wrong.

Almost everyone who wins a huge amount of money sees their life change, usually for the worse.

I partially agree. I also think it depends on what kind of fundamental character you bring to the table. I know folks for whom a lottery would destroy them, but they're relatively content now. I also know second-hand a family that won $200-million. Their lifestyles are a little more fabulous but otherwise is unchanged. Still good family who still love each other and pretty much retain their old morals and value system.

Edited by Lunajammer

If I won.......

I'd pay off all of my debts, my brother's debts, my wife's sisters debts, my 2 daughters debts, buy my younger daughter a home, pay off the debts of my very best and closest friends. I'd invest a couple of million and live off the interest earned.

I'd think about moving somewhere that the temps go no higher than 85 and no lower than 55 (If that place exists.) I'd have a couple of chrome laden, 50's land yachts in my garage. Then it would be the wife's turn to spend some....... Hey... they can't take our dreams away...!!!

My plans would be to form a family corporation and make relatives employees of the corporation. It would structured in such a way that no one person could decide for the others how much to pay the employees, it would be up to a board of directors that would include outside people (accountant, tax lawyer, clergyman). There would be some serious financial planning done so the money would be around for awhile and charity work as well.

Personally I would quit my current job and do some volunteer work and possibly open a small business, something automotive related most likely. I would spend more time working on models and car related projects but don't think I would go too crazy, again because as an employee, my wages would be limited.

Interesting topic.

Because the odds are that I wouldn't agree with some of their spending decisions, and would probably try to play the "parent card" and tell them how I think they should be using the money. It's inevitable that as a parent, you would tend to want to control or influence their decisions to some degree... so I'd rather invest and grow it, and then they inherit it after I'm gone and either spend or invest as they see fit without my (or their mother's) interference. That way we avoid all possible arguments about the money and how it should be best used. It would be 100% their decision, right or wrong.

That is what happened to a family I went to high school with. Well After we were all out of school their mom won 5 or 8 million in Ohio . Mom told the kids to get money you had to do this and that . They live all over the country now so I have not heard from them. The one that hung around in my circle of friends was the black sheep of the family. He did not talk to her for awhile after all that.

If I won a load of money in a lottery Id first pay off my medical,etc. debts.

Then Id make sure all my family had the same and enough to take care of them.

Get a house that is paid off.

Then id give some to the medical research,church,etc...then if anything was leftover for me Id get me the stuff I need for my dads old collection.

Given enough money it would be nice to help family and friends. But what I would really like is a 4,000 sq. ft. house with a 10,000 sq. ft. garage with out any nearby neighbors and a basement under the garage with an indoor gun range. In addittion I would have to buy a couple Cobra's. Replicas would be fine. One AC and a Daytona.

To try to answer your question, it would be life changing for sure. First thing after turning in the ticket is to find a temporary place to live. I'd hire a trust-worthy lawyer and hire a trust-worthy investment firm. I'd move out of state to a farm in the middle of nowhere. I've thought about this and I have the lawyers, investment firm and which state I'd move to picked out already. All I need to do is win. Only problem is, I don't play that often so my odds of winning are slim at bestemot15.gif.