Model Cars Magazine Forum

Will GM's problems ever end?

At 165,000 miles, no problems that are not wear related with my 2000 Saturn SL.

Saturn's are a real GM anomaly.......some outside the box engineering was done on those cars. The spin on trans filter on many models was a FANTASTIC idea!!! Not a hater but I think Saturn, as it was started, was too good for GM.

The large amount of recalls have really nothing to do with any quality issues or problems with the product. It is a direct result of the ignition switch controversy. All of these recalls are completely internal, none are Govt. driven safety related. Every minute issue is being reviewed and corrected as a public perception initiative. Some of these that have involved hundreds of thousands of vehicles - are for issues found on 2 vehicles. None of these recalls involve large numbers of problem vehicles or components found. If ANY other manufacturer applied this same scrutiny to their vehicles there would be millions of recalls weekly.

Even the ignition switch issue was not a mandated recall. Things tend to get quite skewed when lawyers get involved. Don't expect air bags to save you if you refuse to put on a seatbelt.

"Bad air in the tires" :lol::lol: I haven't heard that one before! does that file along with having "low flicker fluid" for the turn signals? :D

The Dodge/Ram trucks and the Jeep Wranglers are known for death wobble, too. They have a similar front end to the Ford SD.

Another day, another massive recall announced today...

General Motors said it will recall 3.16 million mid-size and large cars to modify their ignition keys to prevent the same problem that has been blamed for 13 deaths and 54 crashes in small cars that GM recalled earlier this year. Along with five other smaller recalls for other matters that GM announced simultaneously today, GM now has announced 44 recalls this year covering 17 million U.S. vehicles.

Wow.

A detailed timeline of the whole GM mess here if you're interested:

http://money.cnn.com/infographic/pf/autos/gm-recall-timeline/

Maybe the most embarrassing part:

June 5: GM’s internal probe into the delayed ignition switch recall finds "a pattern of incompetence and neglect" throughout the company. (GM CEO Mary) Barra says she has dismissed 15 employees and disciplined 5 more for their handling of the matter.

The automaker also says the number of deaths tied to its flawed ignition switch may be more than the total of 13 it has disclosed publicly.

Another day, another massive recall announced today...

General Motors said it will recall 3.16 million mid-size and large cars to modify their ignition keys to prevent the same problem that has been blamed for 13 deaths and 54 crashes in small cars that GM recalled earlier this year. Along with five other smaller recalls for other matters that GM announced simultaneously today, GM now has announced 44 recalls this year covering 17 million U.S. vehicles.

Wow.

It seem at this point , GM is going to recall every vehicle they made in last decade

If I worked as a GM PR/advertising guy, I'd be looking for a bridge to jump off of right about now... :lol:

I'm glad they didn't take the approach of not recalling anything from before the bankruptcy--by saying that those vehicles are the responsibility of the old GM (the one that went bankrupt--General Motors Corporation), since technically, post-bankruptcy GM is a different corporate entity---General Motors Company. Imagine the outrage and bad publicity if they had gone down that path.

Edited by Rob Hall

I'm glad they didn't take the approach of not recalling anything from before the bankruptcy--by saying that those vehicles are the responsibility of the old GM (the one that went bankrupt--General Motors Corporation), since technically, post-bankruptcy GM is a different corporate entity---General Motors Company. Imagine the outrage and bad publicity if they had gone down that path.

I don't think it's possible for GM to look any worse than they do right now. I mean, today alone, SIX separate recalls. Today alone!

That's several years worth of bad publicity... in one day! On top of all the other recalls already! And all the ones to come.

I wish I had the Maalox concession at GM HQ! :lol:

in the 25 years I have been a wrench in GM dealerships, I don't know as if I have ever seen a car NOT have a recall of some sort.

biggest problem as of late is getting enough parts to fix the affected vehicles.

I was told by a co-worker today that she got ANOTHER recall notice for her Saturn over the past weekend. This time it's for the electric power steering box (under the dash), and this could "give out" without warning making the car incredibly difficult to steer at low speeds------like in parking.

She was wondering because I have a Saturn Ion Quadcoupe, and I had told her I haven't received one yet, but I'm sure one is heading my way very soon. :angry:

This would be the second one in as many months, and I told her to expect more as there are more things about the car that should have never left the factory the way it did,

For example:

Wipers completely failing due to PLASTIC wiper drive arms (Mine failed in a rainstorm at 60 mph! :o)

Clutch pedal assembly failing due to a PLASTIC clutch pedal (Mine had already gone out).

Weak steering knuckle/sway bar bushings which I had to replace only six months after I bought it (I bought mine in '06).

And I'm sure there are others..........

Now I'm not really complaining-----it's been a good car with relatively few troubles at least until this past year. It has about 140,000 miles on the clock now, but the engine is still very tight with no oil usage and no exhaust smoke. It's just the other annoyances which can turn out to be safety problems, as GM wanted to go low buck on certain things when they shouldn't have.

There was just a report on TV that stated there were more GM vehicles recalled so far this year than the TOTAL number of cars sold last year from all manufactures. True ?

Yes...20 million recalled so far..15.6 million cars sold in the US last year.

Never cared for GM cars as everyone owned one and they said that there Chevies were the best and the fastest. Well from that time and before and a big Richard Petty (before Nascar popular) The owmly car made that was great was MOPAR. Remember who won in Nascar even as Nascar put restricter plates on the Hemi to slow it down The ownly thing Chevy had going for them was the small block., So think GM is a bad company making all them bad cars and not careing who they hurt or killed as long as they sell cars. I think everone should stop buying GM car to make a point to GM

Just saw this on an Avenger owners forum (the sibling to my 200)

Chrysler announced this morning that it will be extending the warranty on 3.6-liter Pentastar V-6 engines in certain 2011-2013 vehicles due to cracked cylinder heads on early versions of the engine.

According to Automotive News, roughly 7500 engines built as the Pentastar V-6 was first coming out in 2012, were found to be susceptible to left-cylinder head cracks, potentially resulting in engine failure. Chrysler first discovered the issue when customers began complaining that their vehicles were making ticking noises, stalling, or that the instrument panel was inexplicably displaying a check engine light.

The 3.6-liter Pentastar V-6 comes with a 5-year/100,000 mile warranty, which Chrysler will be extending to 10-years/150,000 miles on the left-cylinder head. The cracked left-cylinder head issue potentially affects about 0.5-percent of vehicles equipped with the 3.6-liter V-6. Chrysler determined that subpar fuel along with a number of driving conditions contributed to the issue. A design modification in late 2012 has reportedly fixed the issue in newer vehicles.

The 3.6-liter V-6, the first of the Pentastar family that now includes a 3.2-liter version, comes standard in numerous Chrysler vehicles. The 3.6-liter Pentastar is standard on the: Chrysler 300, Dodge Challenger, Dodge Charger, Jeep Grand Cherokee, Jeep Wrangler, Ram 1500, and Ram Promaster. It's optional on both the previous-generation and current Chrysler 200, and Dodge Avenger.

I already had the lifetime extended warranty on the car, not going to complain about it though :D

I've owned GM. Ford and Chrysler products along with several different imports, and my best and most reliable cars were GM products.

I've had GM, Ford, Chrysler, BMW and Mercedes.. so far my first GM car (Cadillac STS) has been very reliable, had it almost 3 years now.

in the 25 years I have been a wrench in GM dealerships, I don't know as if I have ever seen a car NOT have a recall of some sort.

biggest problem as of late is getting enough parts to fix the affected vehicles.

How are they going to supply the parts to fix them all.....but a bigger question may be the man hours needed to fix them all.......you can only get some many hours a day from a mechanic.

A truly sad state for a one time great American corp..........