Model Cars Magazine Forum

Moebius 1961 Pontiac news

Actually the 8 lugs are 4 parts the brake drum and wheel which will be molded in standard gray, the hub cap and chrome trim ring will be plated.

I'll try to post pics - just don't have the built-up model right now and it's too late to fish the parts out of the big box of test shot parts tonight..

Edited by Dave Metzner

Actually the 8 lugs are 4 parts the brake drum and wheel which will be molded in standard gray, the hub cap and chrome trim ring will be plated.

I'll try to post pics - just don't have the built-up model right now and it's too late to fish the parts out of the big box of test shot parts tonight..

Thank for info Dave. I do like the idea of doing the wheels in four pieces. It will make painting them to make them correctly easier.

Scott

Outstanding! Love the idea of the four-piece wheel - more than I hoped for for sure!

OK, NOW I can reveal the "Mystery" feature of the '61 Ventura kit! Of all the models of Pontiacs having the 8-Lug wheels, NOBODY has ever done one correctly. It was something that got discussed at great lengths, and Moebius has done it:

Correct 3-piece 8-lugs! Brake drum, SEPARATE rim with lug detailing, AND a separate plated hubcap! YESS!

Art

post-628-0-37831200-1412359766_thumb.jpg

Well, to get the kool design trick in, they had to compromise the spacing of the fins, which isn't even, as it is on the 1:1:

29549330020_large.jpg

But that's alright - I'm all good, long as they please, please, purty PLEASE get that body closer than the Ford pickups, anyway...

Edited by Chuck Kourouklis

Look at the difference between Gerry's pic and Mike's....note the relationship between the backlite and the rear wheelwells, doesn't match to my eye.

The rear end seems too long,reminds me of the Trumpeter 60 Pontiac. I sure hope I'm wrong.....

Edited by mike 51

15430827842_dfdc5779f6_o.jpg

Not quite perfect at the C-pillar, but nearly there. Even if this were left as is, it would still be way easier to fix than the '62 Bel Air.

Yeah, still missing the little "kick up", but you're right.............much better than AMT's. If you're really good, you can add that tiny triangle at the base of the C pillars if Moebius doesn't correct it.

I'll have to pass final judgment on the overall shape of the body when I have it my hot 'ol hands! From what I can see though......isn't the back end a bit long for a Ventura/Catalina??

Were the Bonnevilles longer in the rear quarters, Bill?

Yes they were. Bonnevilles had longer rear decks along with longer wheelbases for most of the 1960's. This was GM's way of allowing Pontiac to differentiate their B-Body based top of the line models (the Bonneville and StarChief....the later replaced by the Executive later in the decade) vs. the Catalina/Ventura, without graduating to the C-body that Olds and Buick used for their top of line models and Cadillac used for all their models (except the Limos).

Having said that, the lens Gerry used may be adding to the elongating the effect....recommend we wait and see the real thing before we worry about this too much.

I also immediately noticed the C-pillar touchdown error but I also agree that it should be easy to fix - for us initially, and hopefully for Moebius later.

TIM

Edited by tim boyd

Hmmm..................I hate to be a killjoy, but that back end IS too long to my sight. More along the lines of a Bonneville than a Ventura. :( If Moebius is reading this------PLEASE do fix this! 3Q2015 is quite a ways off, and this car is too important to us "lunatic fringers" for this error to go unresolved!