Model Cars Magazine Forum

Moebius 67-72 Ford Pick-up news

I believe that steel grill reference to be in error, Chris. The whole point of the Custom Cab trim level was an upgrade over the plain jane base truck and perhaps your dad's truck was one of those assembly line anomalies, where pieces get installed (like nameplates) that weren't on the buildsheet. Or maybe parts were swapped by the dealer before it hit the lot. Lotsa strange things happen to dealer stock...

mike 

O.K-Just for sake of conversation and I'm not trying to start an argument . then I'm going to leave this topic alone.

Beside the fact I clearly remember what that truck was and wasn't=this was taken straight from the Fordification site

Quote : For 1968 Models , Base models got a steel grille assembly and the Custom Cab models could get either a steel grille or an all aluminum version .

Again just for sake of conversation-

In 1972 he bought a brand new F250 Ranger XLT Camper Special that was fully loaded with options and chrome trim . Cloth seat and carpet . 360/automatic trans.

Here's the point I'm trying to make->

In 1976 he ordered an F250 super cab bicentennial version , those only came in blue or white-his was white with gold eagle stripes down the sides, red , white and blue plaid cloth seat and rubber floor - I've had people tell me that Ford never made a super cab bicentennial version OR a bicentennial F250 - they said they were only regular cab/F100s and I've been told that IF it had a cloth seat it would have had carpeted floors but it didn't , he ordered it thru Gorno Ford in Woodhaven , MI - that truck had a 460/automatic trans.

My Dad passed away years ago so I can't ask him but I did ask my Mom what she remembered about the '68 F100 and she said all she could remember was it didn't have a rear bumper when he bought it and it did not come with a spare tire either-that was extra......she said they paid around $2,000.00 for it brand new which was a lot of money for them at the time .

Oh well , just for sake of conversation ...........maybe the "Custom Cab" markings had some thing to do with the 390 instead of a six cylinder or small V8 ?

Chris head down to GORNO(they are still open) and ask about that 76 truck . It might have been a dealer trim package they added. It was a big thing around here then, we even had a wagon train show up at our school in Michigan that year, 

One thing that we are missing about options on a truck is that dealers will do almost anything for money. If you want it and will pay they will change it in house. 

Chuck....very, very nice to see a completed build of the kit.  Looks good, and I really like your build theme and quality.  Congrats....TIM

Tim, the model was built by Jim Shepherd of ACME, and I took the photo yesterday at our club meeting. Jim did a fantastic job on his model, combining it with the Motormax camper from one of their diecast pickup trucks that he found at Wal Mart and refinished it as part of this very unique kitbash.

Chuck....very, very nice to see a completed build of the kit.  Looks good, and I really like your build theme and quality.  Congrats....TIM

Tim, the model was built by Jim Shepherd of ACME, and I took the photo yesterday at our club meeting. Jim did a fantastic job on his model, combining it with the Motormax camper from one of their diecast pickup trucks that he found at Wal Mart and refinished it as part of this very unique kitbash.

Chuck and Bob....thanks for the update./correction, and please pass my kudos onto Jim the next time you see him.  

Cheers...TIM 

That's a nice build incorporating the Motormax camper shell.  The shell itself is a curbside effort, you can see that the windows are all blacked out. The other thing I'd change is the "legs", they are way too thick. Easy enough to replace with some aluminum tube. It is screwed together so it does unscrew easily.  Once done, the inside is full of strengthening bars and screw posts. Pretty hard to convert to a full detail camper.

Hosted on Fotki

I wanted to go the full detail route but you can see the complexity in this photo. There is really no way to separate the roof for viewing without messing the whole thing up!

Jim sure turned it into a great looking package.

When mine finally gets it's turn on the bench, it's facing a shortening of the over-cab bunk and a side height sectioning in addition to the leg and bottom skirting mods ...  :P

mike

And now, my moment of Zen! Ever since hearing about the 69 short bed being a limited addition kit, I was scared! I would sit in the corner, rocking back and forth, giggling every once and while with anticipation of actually getting one! Would I get one? Would life be cruel once more and skip over me? Well, I can rest easy now! CAUSE I GOTS MINE!!!! Bring on the next round Moebius!!!!

image.jpg

I have mine as well but will be awhile till I start the build.the camper is pretty cool. I didn't know a camper was available. .dumb me.I'm hoping that Moebius will at some point kit a 1 ton crewcab and 4x4 versions as well.does anyone know what Moebius has plans for these Fords?

So finally got one of the '71s and I like it. I'm not a big fan of the free floating hood but it seems like now that the firewall and radiator support are in it sits more securely so maybe it won't be an issue after all. Other than that looks like a great kit, looking forward to more options down the road. I've got another '71 and a '69 ordered. I may do one as a hippy camper complete with a homebuilt wood shingle camper shell, although I've got a '65 Chevy competing for the same project...

I've seen several people have used the AMT '78 Ford Camper Special for 4x4 running gear. Is this technically accurate or just something that works. Wouldn't that make this an F250 or 350? I thought the F150 had a different type of front end more like the Bronco.

Aaron, the AMT '78 Ford kit has a F-150 4wd set up in it so it is accurate for the Moebius kit as long as you are depicting a 1/2 ton 4wd F150 truck. The F250 and F350 trucks had leaf spring set ups while the F150 had coil springs and radius arms, like the Bronco.

I have mine as well but will be awhile till I start the build.the camper is pretty cool. I didn't know a camper was available. .dumb me.I'm hoping that Moebius will at some point kit a 1 ton crewcab and 4x4 versions as well.does anyone know what Moebius has plans for these Fords?

I suspect the aftermarket w/ eventually do parts for these variations.  From what I've heard the next version will be a '70 2wd shortbed fleetside. 

Ok I haven't been following this thread, but it seems like the best place to post this. I just opened my new 71 kit to find the hood and top of the cab bowed, and the cowel badly bowed. Should I try to straighten them or contact Mobius first. If straightening is the first try, should I use hot water? I waited to buy one of these kits because I had heard horror stories about the warped parts. Now I took the chance and this one is warped. Advise would be appreciated.

Ok I haven't been following this thread, but it seems like the best place to post this. I just opened my new 71 kit to find the hood and top of the cab bowed, and the cowel badly bowed. Should I try to straighten them or contact Mobius first. If straightening is the first try, should I use hot water? I waited to buy one of these kits because I had heard horror stories about the warped parts. Now I took the chance and this one is warped. Advise would be appreciated.

I would hold the hood under very hot water, not boiling but as hot as you can get it out of the tap. While holding it under the hot water twist it in the opposite direction of the warp, going a little further then you need to. Then, while still holding it in that position, run it under cold water. This will relax the molecules in the plastic and allow it to go back to shape. You may have to do it a couple times.

I ran into an issue on the one I am building that the hood fit the cab perfectly until I glued the firewall in. I had to clearance the back edge of the hood to clear the firewall in addition to sanding on the top edge of the firewall a bit. My 69 cab had that issue, it looks like the 71 I have may be fine.

I would hold the hood under very hot water, not boiling but as hot as you can get it out of the tap. While holding it under the hot water twist it in the opposite direction of the warp, going a little further then you need to. Then, while still holding it in that position, run it under cold water. This will relax the molecules in the plastic and allow it to go back to shape. You may have to do it a couple times.

Thanks Ben, I will try that! My real concern is the top of the cab, it is "dog dished" instead of domed. I will try the hot water trick on both. Thanks again.

I ran into an issue on the one I am building that the hood fit the cab perfectly until I glued the firewall in. I had to clearance the back edge of the hood to clear the firewall in addition to sanding on the top edge of the firewall a bit. My 69 cab had that issue, it looks like the 71 I have may be fine.

I thought that the firewall could be used to fix the issue with the cowl. Thanks neighbor.