Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT Vintage '32 (new photos 2/9/15)

rmvw guy

I decided to buy a vintage AMT model box at a show/swap meet for $10 just for the box to display with my AMT ‘32s. What I got was the box, directions, and an unpainted kit with some glue marks and some parts missing. I thought, “I might as well try and build one like the box art since I like it so much.” I decided on the roadster and I wish I had the decals for this one.

2_zpsoezuipcm.jpg

From the directions I realized I had a 1960 model kit.

They had a picture of all the other AMT model kits available in 1960 on the direction sheet.(cool) The ’60 Edsel was my first AMT model in 1960 when I was 10 years old and it was on the sheet!

1_zpsckzk1iqk.jpg

I did the best job I could with the parts I had. I used the Hemi engine with no wiring , no generator bracket, throttle linkage, or extra parts. I kept it a simple build. I shaved the door handles, added louvers to the rear, painted the white walls, made wire braces to the front fenders and headlights using paper clips, and that’s about it. Paint is Duplicolor red, black, and white. I know! I should have used Testors.

7_zpsk6pkrq04.jpg

11_zpspa7gmlxy.jpg10_zpsyqrqojqs.jpg

Edited by rmvw guy

The other model is an older build of the stock version. What I think is cool about the vintage kit is, it had the front fender pockets for two spares for the stock version and chrome wire wheels, later eliminated on reissues. My plan is to use these parts on a future build like the other car on the box.

6_zpsk2njckjv.jpg4_zpsupyzhadi.jpg3_zpseyldvnch.jpg14_zps6tztnhur.jpg13_zpsx7ihab1y.jpg

It was another low stress, fun build of an old classic. Hope you enjoy all the photos and have a smile on your face after viewing. As always, thanks for looking.

16_zpsgktd0txq.jpg

I guess this is the money shot really. I think it was worth the $10. :lol:

2_zpsoezuipcm.jpg

Tell me what you think of my work. Criticisms, comments and sarcastic remarks are kindly welcome. I'm a big boy, I can take it.

Bring back Annual Kits! :lol::D:P

edit: On second thought, not Annual .. every 5 years .. or they'd just be re-releasing the same kit for 5 years.

Yea I know Mike, I already have five and now I want two more, I love 'em! Now I want to build the modified shown on the side of this box since I am getting the decals, and another stock roadster using the fenders from the vintage kit. I've never seen a reissue with the two fenderwells for spares like this one.

Seriously, I wish they would bring back all of these.

1_zpsckzk1iqk.jpg

Thanks again guys for all the great comments.

I found this gem on another thread.

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=98295&hl=

This is a bit of nostalgia for me. I had forgotten building one of these when I was just 8 years old. That would make this kit my first model car ever. I love it that they are now bringing some of these early kits back to life for some of us old guys. I sure made a mess of my first model. :lol:

All of this time I thought the '60 Edsel was my first car model kit.

• 2 weeks later...