Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 56 Ford F-100-Now Under Glass-01/02

I was applying BMF to the passengers door window trim this morning and looked over at the truck bed and realized I haven't posted any pictures of the wood planks and mini wheel tubs that I fabricated in the bed yet. I figured I'd get that posted up this morning.

and then a close up of the license plate retaining hardware:

Carl:Thank you bud and speakin' of screwdriver.....where did I put that thing? lol

Mike: I appreciate the comments and I'll tell you this thing is a tough kit. I just got through test fitting the windshield and there were huge gaps in the upper corners between the glass and the opening. No shortage of filing and grinding there.

Dennis: Thank you sir! Yes

Well over the weekend I was able to make some progress on this thing. All in all this old Revell kit has got to be among the worst fitting kits I've seen yet. I'm sure there's others but this one is among 'em. I've got fit issues with the windshield and the doors as well as inner fender wells that have thrown me off track but I keep chuggin' along nevertheless. The BMF adventure turned out ok and I managed to get the passenger side door shoe horned in there and got it to look half decent. I messed with the photos to bring the red out as close to what it actually is here..

001_zps7ijputyf.jpg

002_zpss50xvbkr.jpg

Thanks Carl. Hopefully the rest of this build is smooth sailin'.

I worked through the drivers door hinge to where the door opens and closes well with little sagging when opening the door. The next obstacle that I had to go through was to make the door stay shut. I've heard of the use of magnets to accomplish this so I started thinking....."How am I going to pull this off and make all this look legit ?". :hmm: I came up with the following: I need a fire extinguisher in the cab anyways so I took out my pocket screwdriver from work and removed the magnet from the top.

I needed a fire extinguisher from another kit so I turned to my AMT 1994 Mark Martin Valvoline kit for that. I cut the top and bottom off just to the inside of each retaining strap so that when this is all glued together it'll look ok.

This will go upright in the L/H rear corner of the cab after being assembled and painted. I had to remove the drivers door trim panel and come up with a metal strip that I could fit inside the door along the rear door jamb area in which to "latch" onto the magnet/ fire extinguisher just inside the cab. I came up with a trim panel retainer and cut a strip off from it and glued it on the inside the door and reinstalled the drivers door trim panel back. This outta do..........

I tested it several times and it works great so now I can press ahead to the completion of this thing hopefully. :whistle:

Thanks Brian!

Did some work on this thing this morning and got the fire extinguisher assembled and primed. We'll be painting this later today or in the morning.

002_zpsxt7ak43t.jpg

and.....it took four freekin' times to get the paint right on this but here the hood is. The reflection you see is my hand holding the camera. I left the picture unmodified so you could make the flames out in the paint. It's just the look I was after.

Yeah...................I can live with this...........

001_zps5uq8abpo.jpg

Edited by mustang1989

Have you ever reached a point in modeling where you're just confident enough to be dangerous? It's happening to me here on this build I'll tell you that. I started out with the body and hood paint and the hood didn't turn out just right so I dunked the hood in the brake fluid and pressed on with the body and the rest of the build thinking "Hey, I'll just catch up with the hood on down the road in this build. Through a lot of persistence I've got the body about where I want it and the hood has progressed through 4 paint jobs to get to where it is now. Here's the problem though .............. I didn't paint everything TOGETHER. The hood is a different shade of red than the rest of the truck. Not by much , but it's noticeable. I'm going to end up trying to polish this thing out and see where I stand after ALOT of buffing. The "look" that I was after in the beginning of this build has taken form so I'm very happy with that so far but I'll tell you, this hood ordeal has really got me in a perplexed state right now. I really don't feel like dunking this hood in brake fluid............again.815fb2f5.gif

The pics: (the roughness at the front of the hood isn't a big deal as I'll buff it all out. If you look close enough you'll see the shade difference)

Edited by mustang1989