Model Cars Magazine Forum

'27 T Lo-Boy, early 60's style show rod

Bernard Kron

DSCF0369-web.jpg

Early 60’s style Ford ’27 T Low-Boy hot rod

(More pictures below)

I’ve been wanting to build one of these for a long time now, but wondered if I had the chops to pull it off. There’s no kit for this type of car and it’s strictly a question of kit bashing and scratch building your way to completion. I wanted a show car vibe so there’s a ton of chrome which turned out to be a real challenge when it came to finding and preserving the appropriate parts. In some cases, like the side pipes and drive shaft, I landed up using aluminum tubing and polishing it with Simichrome to a chrome-like shine. The w.ip. can be found here: http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=57098 Here’s the breakdown on what went into this build:

Body: Jimmy Flintstone resin, cut down grill, headlights and taillights from a Revell Deuce kit.

Motor: Revell Parts Pack Cadillac, 4 barrel carb from a Revell Deuce kit, Modelhaus Cadillac air cleaner, headers from a Revell ’49 Merc kit, La Salle transmission from Early Years Resin, side pipes made from aluminum tubing.

Chassis & suspension: Chassis scratch built from styrene strip, front and rear suspension modified from Revell ’29 Ford parts. Front shocks ,from an AMT ’25 T kit, rear shocks from an AMT ’29 Ford kit.

Wheels & Tires from Modelhaus

Interior: Scratch built from styrene sheet and strip, AMT ’58 Chevy steering wheel, Model Car Garage p/e dash, chromed steering column from and AMT ’29 Ford kit.

Paint and finishes: Testors Inca Gold and Testors Pearl White, gold flocked carpeting.

Thanx for lookin’,

B.

DSCF0344-web.jpg

DSCF0354-web.jpg

DSCF0350-web.jpg

DSCF0365-web.jpg

DSCF0375-web.jpg

DSCF0370-web.jpg

DSCF0353-web.jpg

DSCF0374-web.jpg

DSCF0378-web.jpg

Thanks a lot for the nice words, everybody! :)B)

I understand that the black background pics aren't necessarily to everyone's liking so I thought I'd do a set of more conventional white background photos as well. I still have a ways to go fine tuning the black background technique...

DSCF0390-web.jpg

DSCF0400-web.jpg

DSCF0397-web.jpg

DSCF0395-web.jpg

DSCF0404-web.jpg

Also, here are some frame pics I couldn't fit in the original post:

DSCF9881-web.jpg

DSCF9883-web.jpg

Edited by Bernard Kron

Great Looking Build, as always! I've said this before, but I say it again. It's nice to see a builder who is building only Old School HotRods. These are cool without any modern parts, just like this one. You nailed the Show Car Look. This just makes me wanting to get back on my ShowRod build...

Thanx guys! As always your comments are greatly appreciated. :)B)

... It's nice to see a builder who is building only Old School HotRods. These are cool without any modern parts, just like this one. ...

Thanx Nico, but the fact that I build Old School is largely a matter of "picking my battles", so to speak. That is, technically my skills aren't quite up to doing a respectable build of say, a contemporary Ferrari or a super-detailed NASCAR. It's coming, though, bit by bit. The grass is always greener on the other side - I'm a huge admirer of showroom stock builders, for example, even though I know I'll never do that sort of thing myself. For the moment I build Old School because I know the subject matter and proper representations of many of the styles and themes in this area are surprisngly rare. I also have to credit my buddies over on the TRaK board ( http://trakinscale.proboards.com/ - Traditional Rods and Kustoms In Scale ), a hugely talented and motivated group who conspire to keep me locked into this area of the hobby! :):lol:

I likes the black background,

gonna have to try it out, B)

Thanx Kurt. The props are greatly appreciated.

The black background stuff has proven surpringly controversial, at least in some circles. Some folks would prefer a pretty standard "record shot", most likely with a white or light grey background. But right from the beginning of my return to modeling 4+ years ago I've considered photography as an integral part of the process - I believe cheap digital photography, photo serving services and forums have revolutionized contemporary modeling. So my pics have generally been pretty stylized , sometimes to the detriment of the presentation,. But, like my modeling itself, I figure nothing ventured nothing gained, and that with time and practice I will eventually achieve the desired result. In the meantime, as I mentioned to Nico, I try to "pick my battles"...

Regarding the black backgrounds, for me it's very much a work in progress, with still quite a few flaws to overcome. I'm still looking for a proper gloss black reflective base that photographs as a true black. Right now the process requires too much manipulation to get the right look. The ideal is to capure the final result as closely as possible in the camera, using the proper textures of bases and backgrounds and controlling the lighting. In the end, however, there's still a fair amount of cropping and manipulation involved...

Edited by Bernard Kron

Bernard,

Look at you!! I take a few days off from the forum and you finish up a sweet little gem!!

The last time we spoke about this one you were still struggling with getting it done. I finally get some time to catch up and look at what I find!!

To me, this is your best build so far. It is exactly what you said you wanted it to be, a very cool, highly chromed, glossy paint, Low Boy T show car!!

Honestly, when I look at it now I see a matching hauler and a trailer on the horizon!! I know that you know what I mean!!

Keep up the GREAT work, my old friend,

Later,

Edited by Raul_Perez