Model Cars Magazine Forum

71-73 mustang

I think the only one available is the old MPC, repopped many times over the years, I believe sometimes in AMT boxes. I'm no expert on this gen of Stangs, but I've read a lot of posts from people who are who say there are all kinds of accuracy and detail problems with it. But for a "high school hot rod" as you mention, it ought to be good enough.

There's also a cheap diecast available--I bought this one a few years ago and did some paint detailing on it. Can't say how accurate it is but it looks kinda like one to me. Come to think of it, I might have seen these as unassembled kits in Testor boxes at Hobby Lobby or someplace, too.

71MustangAfter.jpg

Ah, the least loved of the original Mustangs, 1971 - 1973. So of course I love them. Snake is right, the only option for a somewhat stock/street version of that generation Mustang is the old MPC kit. Released several times under both the MPC and AMT banner. The last release I purchased and built was the one reissued as a '71 Boss 351. Ertl took the '73 MPC Mach 1 and with a grille insert tried to pass it off as a '71 Boss. It didn't work. The '71 Boss 351 came with a chrome bumper. This kit still had the slightly larger non-chrome '73 bumper. And from what I remember, the engines are kind of mess in this kit. Neither fish nor fowl? None of the variations are quite right? I may be wrong on this.

My solution in building this kit, was to try and build it somewhat close a '71 Mach 1. I got Mach 1 decals from Keith Marks and built mine to look like the car Sean Connery drove in Diamonds are Forever. Over all, other than the bumper being slightly larger than it was on the real '71s, it looks pretty good.

Scott

The kit you want was reissued not long ago, here is a pic of the box below. They also redid a 73 Mustang around the same time but it's a modified version and can't be built stock. The chassis in the 71 kit is pretty rough, no kit out there has a better one that would be accurate for the car but you could probably make something close from the Revell 70 Torino kit.

116711485_amazoncom-amt-classic-1971-for

Edited by Fat Brian

The kit you want was reissued not long ago, here is a pic of the box below. They also redid a 73 Mustang around the same time but it's a modified version and can't be built stock...

Agreed. This is probably as good as you'll find. The '73 kit is kind of a mess. Missing a lot of parts required to build it stock.

The kit you want was reissued not long ago, here is a pic of the box below. They also redid a 73 Mustang around the same time but it's a modified version and can't be built stock. The chassis in the 71 kit is pretty rough, no kit out there has a better one that would be accurate for the car but you could probably make something close from the Revell 70 Torino kit.

The above is the old MPC kit I was refering to. Note the front bumper and the headlamp bezels. Both are incorrect for 1971. The bezels can be fixed just by painting them black. Like I said, mine ended looking okay.

Scott

AMT- I always thought that the original AMT '71-72, and '73 Mustang had the best shape. After the front end became a '73, AMT heavily modified it to be a Warren Tope race car. No more exhaust and the interior was smoothed out. There are many reissues of this race kit sometimes as a street racer. It has just been re-released by Round2. A big job to return as stock or even a movie car.

MPC- Same deal as AMT because it ended as a 1973. Has more stock parts and only the grille is the problem to revert it back to a 1971 or 1972. When ERTL dropped the MPC brand, they referred to it as an AMT.

Missing-Link sells the front end parts to do a '71 or '72 with chrome or body colored bumper. They have the Mach 1 or standard grille.

Palmer or Lindberg- Yes that's right, a Palmer. Lindberg inherited the Palmer Mustang. It's a real mongrel too. It's 1/2 '70 and 1/2 '71. maybe you can fin a good part off it. Palmer made 3 1/25 scale cars; the 70 mustang, 71 Challenger and a 70 Corvette. The shame is that the 70 Mustang was actually decent.

Verdict- Buy the MPC version ('71 BOSS 351) and spend another $20 on Missing Link parts. You will get what you want and will look nice.

• Like 1

This kit actually has the 73 Grille in the kit even though the boxart shows a 72 or 72. Like everyone else said, none of these kits are gems, but if you;re looking to do a shelf model of a car you once owned, this one will do the trick. This kit has the stock rims in it as well.

This is the kit

mustang-mach-1-mpc-plastic-model-kit-1-0

AMT- I always thought that the original AMT '71-72, and '73 Mustang had the best shape. After the front end became a '73, AMT heavily modified it to be a Warren Tope race car. No more exhaust and the interior was smoothed out. There are many reissues of this race kit sometimes as a street racer. It has just been re-released by Round2. A big job to return as stock or even a movie car.

MPC- Same deal as AMT because it ended as a 1973. Has more stock parts and only the grille is the problem to revert it back to a 1971 or 1972. When ERTL dropped the MPC brand, they referred to it as an AMT.

Missing-Link sells the front end parts to do a '71 or '72 with chrome or body colored bumper. They have the Mach 1 or standard grille.

Palmer or Lindberg- Yes that's right, a Palmer. Lindberg inherited the Palmer Mustang. It's a real mongrel too. It's 1/2 '70 and 1/2 '71. maybe you can fin a good part off it. Palmer made 3 1/25 scale cars; the 70 mustang, 71 Challenger and a 70 Corvette. The shame is that the 70 Mustang was actually decent.

Verdict- Buy the MPC version ('71 BOSS 351) and spend another $20 on Missing Link parts. You will get what you want and will look nice.

There ya go--some good and very specific advice! B)

Just went to Missing Link's website to look at their parts to convert the MPC '73/AMT '71 Boss 351 to a more correct '71 front end. Clicked on the parts button, and all it would show me was information about international shipping. And the front end did not come up in the kit section. But again, the front bumper is the only real problem. Paint the grille surround and the headlamp bezels black. And with the grille insert included in the kit it look pretty darn close.

In fact, it would be nice if Round 2 included a decent 1973 grille insert with tthis kit. So one could build it as a correct looking '73 Mach 1. The "73" grille insert that is include in the kit is way too small. Does anybody know if anybody makes a correct '73 grille and/or '73 Mach 1 decals for this kit? It would be fun to build a '73 Mach 1 to go with my James Bond '71.

Scott

post-13094-0-38798600-1428851962_thumb.jpost-13094-0-99733100-1428786734_thumb.jpost-13094-0-71768400-1428786740_thumb.jVamach1, is it my imagination, or do you have every variation of 1971-1973 Mustang kit? 24 is a bunch.

It appears that you have a convertible in the works too. I would like very much to see what you are doing with that model.

Yes - I probably have every version of the MPC, AMT, Johan, Revell, Palmer/Lindberg, misc Japanese kits and one MotorCity coupe. :o The convertible in primer is one I started on to do a 72 sprint conv and the black one I paid $5 at a swap meet. I think the person was going to use the Cougar interior but I'd rather work with the AMT/MPC interior. Hard to say how long until I get some paint on these bodies - perhaps this summer and I'll just build a bunch of 71-73;s in a batch. The non NACA hood was cut out of the Johan funny car and had a few copies made so I could do a sprint and a standard fastback or coupe, As you can tell from the pics I have a thing for 71-73 Mustangs.

post-13094-0-45159800-1428786744_thumb.j

Edited by vamach1

post-13094-0-08361300-1428787176_thumb.jpost-13094-0-46413400-1428787058_thumb.jpost-13094-0-53727000-1428786859_thumb.j

Just went to Missing Link's website to look at their parts to convert the MPC '73/AMT '71 Boss 351 to a more correct '71 front end. Clicked on the parts button, and all it would show me was information about international shipping. And the front end did not come up in the kit section. But again, the front bumper is the only real problem. Paint the grille surround and the headlamp bezels black. And with the grille insert included in the kit it look pretty darn close.

In fact, it would be nice if Round 2 included a decent 1973 grille insert with tthis kit. So one could build it as a correct looking '73 Mach 1. The "73" grille insert that is include in the kit is way too small. Does anybody know if anybody makes a correct '73 grille and/or '73 Mach 1 decals for this kit? It would be fun to build a '73 Mach 1 to go with my James Bond '71.

Scott

I should go into business. Keith Marks has the decals.

Edited by vamach1

attachicon.gif73_Mustang_Black_A-vi.jpgattachicon.gif7173parts1 004.jpgattachicon.gif7173grilles 001.jpg

I should go into business. Keith Marks has the decals.

It's been about two or three years since I built my '71 Bond Mach 1. I didnt remember that the Keith Marks decal set came with the '73 Mach 1 decals. Now I just need to find a decent '73 grille insert and another kit, and I could built a nice '73.

Scott

post-13094-0-26222100-1428860470_thumb.j

It's been about two or three years since I built my '71 Bond Mach 1. I didnt remember that the Keith Marks decal set came with the '73 Mach 1 decals. Now I just need to find a decent '73 grille insert and another kit, and I could built a nice '73.

Scott

He sells the 71/72 Mach1 decals separate, a set for the 72 sprint and another for the 71 Shelby Europa. http://public.fotki.com/mofobow/

Send me a PM and let me know which 73 Grill (AMT or MPC) you need and I can probably hook your up. :)

attachicon.gif7172_Mustang_Mach1_Black_A-vi.jpg

He sells the 71/72 Mach1 decals separate, a set for the 72 sprint and another for the 71 Shelby Europa. http://public.fotki.com/mofobow/

Send me a PM and let me know which 73 Grill (AMT or MPC) you need and I can probably hook your up. :)

Thanks for the offer. But I'm going to hold off on that idea for now. Especially after seeing the Keith Marks decal sheet you show without the '73 Mach 1 stripes. As soon as I saw this, I knew for sure that was the set I bought for my '71.

Scott

I just looked at Keith Marks 1971-1973 Mustang decals. He has a set for the hockey stick 1971-1972 Mach 1 and another for the 1973 straight thick line Mach 1.

Also, 1971 Mach 1 or 1971 BOSS 351.

You have to be sure which year Mustang you want to build.