Model Cars Magazine Forum

Question about presenting models at a show.

We try to read the data about whatever the modeler has presented regarding the model in question, assuming the model has passed muster before that. In other words, assuming that the model may be a real contender, extra work noted is taken into account, to be used as a comparison against the other contenders.

I've been judging at local and regional IPMS contests for years now, and that's the way we always do it. Judges, no matter how clever, can never be expected to immediately recognize what has been done to a model.

i like to see build cards because i usually read the ones that i don't know too much about, but it's nice having it there on all builds. i have a few AWB cars that i did myself, some people may think it's a resin body unless told otherwise. i usually look at the builds that interest me the most, then on the second or third trip around, i will start looking at other builds. i see it this way, having no build description would be like not having WIP pictures, just throw the finished build up there and that's that.

Moving on with this subject, I've often wondered if a question and answer period after the judging would be beneficial? I realize this would open up a big can of worms.

We routinely ask that if a contestant has questions or issues with the judging, that they simply ask for an explanation from one of those judges. It doesn't really seem to come up all that frequently, but from time to time, they do ask why they didn't place higher, or at all.

The biggest boo boo I ever personally saw, was the inadvertent reversal of the data on two nearly identical aircraft, from two different builders. The aircraft that should have won first, won third, and vice versa. We sorted out what had happened, but in the meanwhile, the first place winner had already grabbed his kit and award and left the venue.

Kevin brings up a good point that I think some people who've never judged (or skip the contest experience entirely) might over look. We're not really looking at EVERY build in a category with a fine tooth comb, you can usually walk up a Class and within 30 seconds "discount" 2/3rds of the entrants based on paint finish, overall fit and finish, and completely ignorance of basic technique (or technic). Then you hone in on 3-7 (depending on class entry size) that you really start going over and reading the descriptions and build cards.

Cause frankly I don't care how much time and effort you put into something if you laid a proverbial egg on the contest table. In those cases I hope that the builder is pleased with their work, but no amount of checkbook modeling, customized binders with nearly real time coverage of the build, and fancy display is going to make me even take a second glance at it. We're not giving out awards based on "Best Attempt at Inaccurately Scratch Building a Part" or "Most Man Hours Spent Misapplying Photo Etch".

Edited by niteowl7710

I'm not big on contests, I got all of that out of my system many years ago. I do love to display my work, and share it with others. And in the same way, I love to see models I watched get built on the boards, or those of friends of mine. I'm just an NNL kinda guy!

All in all, our model car hobby has no standards for judging, no credentials for judges, there is no rhyme or reason. Back when I did compete in contests, I found that in my light commercial category the very same models competed at shows up and down the East Coast. They'd place differently at each show. Sometimes I'd win the first, sometimes the second... same with the others in the category. I realized it was silly. Might as well have put the models in a paper bag and pulled them out blind for the awards.

I have been involved in hobbies where there is a strong national organization and judges must have gone through a rigorous process to be allowed to judge. Back then my collection would win a consistent silver award at every show. As such, I have no interest in competing at a model show.

I do put cards under my models when I show them. Those are for the viewers and answer the basic questions about the build. I don't expect everyone to read them, as I don't read every card at every show. But it's there for that one guy who really enjoys that specific model.

As far as judges go, I will relate a story from many years ago. I had displayed a certain model and a judge seeked me out to tell me that they disqualified my model from the very start because "I had forgot to put a battery in it".... my reply? "It's a Volkswagen.. the battery is under the rear seat!

I've been judging the model contest for the past few years at the Detroit Autorama and D.A.A.M shows(plus a few other shows).A build sheet,card ,or book is greatly appreciated as no judge can tell everything that's been done to an entry or how the mods were done.Sometimes an overview is all that's needed-box stock,for example, isn't an involved build class(though there's more opportunity for work than is often taken) so an in depth book isn't usually needed.Other classes where more opportunity for creativity is present call for more explanation of the work done to the entry.

Steve Perry,who's models have been featured in Model Cars magazine and has been a winner at GSL,makes excellent,detailed ,build books.His books are so complete and well done that I've kidded him about entering one in the Miscellaneous class at our shows.If you're ever at a contest where he's got an entry read his build book if you have the chance.

Edited by ZTony8

I make little easel cards for my builds that states the paint color, engine details, and highlights of other modifications. They're similar to the display boards the 1:1s use. I also use mirrors under some builds and some even get an LED spotlight shining on the undercarriage, paint, or wheel.

I've been judging the model contest for the past few years at the Detroit Autorama and D.A.A.M shows(plus a few other shows).A build sheet,card ,or book is greatly appreciated as no judge can tell everything that's been done to an entry or how the mods were done.Sometimes an overview is all that's needed-box stock,for example, isn't an involved build class(though there's more opportunity for work than is often taken) so an in depth book isn't usually needed.Other classes where more opportunity for creativity is present call for more explanation of the work done to the entry.

Steve Perry,who's models have been featured in Model Cars magazine and has been a winner at GSL,makes excellent,detailed ,build books.His books are so complete and well done that I've kidded him about entering one in the Miscellaneous class at our shows.If you're ever at a contest where he's got an entry read his build book if have the chance.

Steve is a great example. The only time I went to a GSL I saw his freight train replica sitting on the table, looked at it, thought, "That's cool", then moved on. When I circled back around I noticed the build book he presented. I started looking at it. Then I was blown away by the amount of work that he had put into his model. It also made me better appreciate his craftsmanships. Building parts is one thing - building them so precisely is another.

One other thing I remember about the GSL is that they advise having a build book.

Also, if I've written out what I've done to accomplish a particular build (I don't do that very often), it's as much for the spectator as the judging--frankly I put the model out there on a contest table, up or down as far as judging goes.

Art

I agree Art. I like to see the printed cards people leave so I can read what they did on the car. I think of this for the other builders and no so much for the judges.

agreed! I've said many times that it's almost a shame to cover up superb scratch building with paint! Once it's all finished it can look like a Danbury Mint diecast sitting on the table. At that point people cannot even imagine the scratch building that went into the project. That's why I love the primer table at shows, watching builds on the boards and reading those build books!