Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ponch's Firebird from "CHiPs"

am73grand

Ever since I was a kid I have wanted a model of Ponch's Firebird. While looking for Firebird parts for a buddy I found this. I totally forgot I had it. All the body work was done, I just needed to paint it and build the interior. There is an engine but it's not detailed. It's only in there so there's something in case it gets flipped over.

This is an original MPC 70-71 Trans Am with a Formula hood modded with the shaker. Wheels/tires are from the Baldwin Motion AMT 70 Camaro with Shabo lettering. Paint is Model Master Dark Bronze Metallic lacquer with enamel clear.

The real car was ALL bronze except for the lights and back bumper. I added the chrome trim on the windows just to make it pop.

The real car:

chips2130bi6_4996-vi.jpg

m0DJIzxo-vi.jpg

That passenger side light really fought me......it's in as good as it gets.

i4gXCNGS_Up_M_p3Kc4Z_fqhSjOU4Z-vi.jpg

8kkooJzJkg9E-vi.jpg

34d0jkAVIb7sMNrEHI8goxuKtZqR5m-vi.jpg

Thanks for looking!!!!

Great build!

I have a question about the tires..The lettering on them..Is that a decal on them? or are the letters molded into the tire and hand painted?

If those are decals, I'd really like to know where you can get them. I need a set of BF Goodrich tire lettering for my wraith corvette build.