Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ford has made 3-D printable files available

What scales are these?

Looks like they're all made to a constant 6" long, so they all scale out differently. Have to work out what each one scales out to. Would put the Mustang around 1/32 scale, the Raptor around 1/38...

Edited by Brett Barrow

There was an email yesterday from the 3D site Turbosquid announcing their official partnership with Ford for 3D image licensing so this may be the first to come from that.

I wonder if the print files creates shells or solid bodies. They are really missing the boat by not setting them up in 24th/25th scale to start.

Edited by djflyer

When ever I've worked in CAD we always drew everything full size and it got scaled down at printing, or when you set it into a drawing in "Paper space". I don't know if they 'set up' the 3D file into some sort of print file where they have already defined the print scale.

A few things I noticed. First, they have an interesting array of Ford cars there. I am probably the only one pining after a first gen Transit Connect, and I liked the Aussie cars like the Falcon Ute. So that part is cool.

Details I saw... this looks more like a collection of files that are coming from multiple sources. Note that the same cars appear over and over at different prices for the files. Next, some of them aren't right, like there is a Falcon that is almost cartoonish with huge A pillars and a funky flat grill. So I wouldn't expect anything to be consistent with the files.

I think this would be a great model magazine article if someone has the equipment and talent to grab one of these files and print them.

Here's a link to a summary from AutoBlog,com, and a copy of the official Ford press release (viewable if you scan down the post by AutoBlog).

The press release I scanned said that the Ford GT, Raptor, and ST models were 1/32nd scale, but scalable by the user to other scales including 1/25th.

TB

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/06/12/ford-3d-printing-models/

this is the future of the model industry, like I predicted the last time I bumped into my own azz getting so ahead of myself.

lookee here: the future is selling virtual models that you can assemble in cyberspace and then only if you want a physical copy, which I predict most will not when the screen becomes fully integrated into our lives, you can ship it to your 3D printer for a "real" model. I put "real" in quotations because it is just as "real" out in cyberspace to many people these days and those are the kids who will live long past most of us here. offering these scalable 3D prints are a beginning but soon (20 years maybe) complete kits will be offered in this way and there will be few if any actual physical "models" offered, it will all be cyber based. that is the way music has gone and I predict the same for our hobby. it really is a nice elegant solution: no costs for transport, storage or sales space, or even actual manufacturing, only for product design and advertising and supporting artwork. and if the auto companies get in directly on it too, then you will see some really amazing stuff.

just watch

jb

Agreed, it is a ways off and lets say that's a catalog that would allow me to print a model in 1/25 scale at home for $200 in an hour. I would have already have printed one! Of course 20 years from now we'll be sitting around our printer reminiscing, "$200! I can remember back when kits were only $25!"

But as technology has gotten better in our age, would this 3D printing being an easy thing, would we get complacent and lose interest?

For instance, I used to carefully piece together variations of kit decals to achieve a result. Sometimes I had to combine some color decal stock with bits of a kit decal, and some rub on lettering to get what I wanted. I saved bits of printed pictures and such that just happened to be the right size to work on a model. It was tedious and a real hunt. Today I hit Google Images and call up any image. If I want to do a model of a telephone truck, I can get 100s of jpgs of phone company logos with no effort. I did the same with a gas meter readers car. I found a 1950s PSE&G Co color logo and had it printed out on decal stock within an hour. Once it was done, it was like ehhh. It was perfect, but it wasn't hard won.

That's pretty much what eBay has done to the collectibles hobbies. It made the search for them so efficient that you can find nearly anything with a few clicks, and multiples of that previously unique item to choose from. That drove down prices significantly, and the market took a nose dive because people lost interest. The thrill was in the hunt! And suddenly there was no hunt, and you could fill your house with the stuff with little effort.

So will that happen once 3D parts are commonplace and as easy to make as my decals?

In many ways this could help add interest to the hobby. There are alot of potential subjects that have never and likely will never be done in kit form - for no other reason than tooling cost and limited market. But how many people buy a conversion kit or parts? Look how many users are on this site looking for old kits or re-pops that will never be done again.

Now, maybe I can now go to a site and get that Jaguar XJ13 show car body (and maybe other unique parts) printed. If it costs less than the couple hundred bucks for some of the resin kits that may never exist, hey, I'm all for it. Obviously the quality of the digital file used will make a difference, but then look how many brand new kits are looked at as being "wrong".

This just expands the choices of what can be available.

>I have no interest in 3 d printing. I love going to hobby shops, buying a kit, bringing it home,

>opening it and groking the contents.

you quite likely said a very similar thing about computers back 15 or 20 years ago...am I right? or was it 5 years ago? :D

"groking"...didn't that come from a Robert Heinlein science fiction book? see the connection?

jb

I guess Ford doesn't understand scale

I'm sure they understand it quite well considering they actually build cars and stuff. I would imagine they are keeping them the same size this that is most likely the maximum print size of many of the machines they are designed to be printed on.

Another advantage of 3D printing - no such thing as scale. The files can output in any size because no tooling is involved - you can have yours in 25th and I can have mine in 24th if I want. Check out TDRModels.com - you can get the same Ferrari 166 Barchetta in your choice of seven different scales from 1/43 to 1/8.

WOW.....I think I see the future on the horizon........

I like to think I am cutting edge on the model front.

I bought and use a laser cutter for many projects.......cutting edge 20 years ago

3D printing interested me....but the design process held me, and in my opinion 99% of the public too, back.... but this blows the doors off that issue.

Manufactures wanting buzz about product offering downloadable files???

WOW

So far I'm still a little confused on this. What does this all mean? Right now? Through Ford, can I order a 2016 Ford GT model I can hold in my hand? Until I can see an actual model in the 3-D flesh, I'm having a hard time understanding what all of fuse is all about. I'm 57 years old, and I'll be honest about this. I'm not understanding it. I can get traditional styrene kits rights now that I can build and hold in my hands quite easily. And I don't need a special, and assume expensive printer, to do it. Can I now get these models from Ford? And at price? Scale? And level of detail?

Scott

So far I'm still a little confused on this. What does this all mean? Right now? Through Ford, can I order a 2016 Ford GT model I can hold in my hand? Until I can see an actual model in the 3-D flesh, I'm having a hard time understanding what all of fuse is all about. I'm 57 years old, and I'll be honest about this. I'm not understanding it. I can get traditional styrene kits rights now that I can build and hold in my hands quite easily. And I don't need a special, and assume expensive printer, to do it. Can I now get these models from Ford? And at price? Scale? And level of detail?

Scott

This is just the tip of the ice berg......

Yes....you can go down to the hobby shop and pick up yet another Camaro model. Can you get a 4 door Focus RS model???

True...these are solid block models.......but this is the start.

How would you like to just pay $4-5 for the download of ANY car you ever wanted??? That's where we are headed with htis.

We ain't there yet.......this is a BIG first step....

I'm sure they understand it quite well considering they actually build cars and stuff. I would imagine they are keeping them the same size this that is most likely the maximum print size of many of the machines they are designed to be printed on.

Another advantage of 3D printing - no such thing as scale. The files can output in any size because no tooling is involved - you can have yours in 25th and I can have mine in 24th if I want. Check out TDRModels.com - you can get the same Ferrari 166 Barchetta in your choice of seven different scales from 1/43 to 1/8.

I'm an engineer and I have used 3d Max since 1992 (3D Studio back then). I started 3D because I saw a car body and that hooked me. I consider myself an amateur because I never spent the time to make a full car body from scratch, but I have modified many.

My comment was sarcastic. With all the discussion here about 3D printing I thought it would be obvious.

Most here are not familiar with Turbo Squid. They are a well known 3D house and have many 3D auto files for sale. The the gentleman that made the Ford GT 2017 named squir is a very well known and prolific 3D auto modeler and is quite good to boot. I have many of his meshes. I haven't looked at the artists that did the others but Ford and Turbo Squid being involved tells me their qualifications arn't a problem.

Too bad Ford has treated this with the same mind think as promos and not any thought yet to modelers.

Aren't 3-D files scalable?

Yes, the 3D files are scalable and printable in any size. The limitation is the size of the printer's deck. Just like an inkjet can't do bigger than letter sized paper, a 3D printer typically doesn't print bigger than 6 inches. That is why they are limited to 6 inches, rather than a specific scale.

This is just the tip of the ice berg......

Yes....you can go down to the hobby shop and pick up yet another Camaro model. Can you get a 4 door Focus RS model???

True...these are solid block models.......but this is the start.

How would you like to just pay $4-5 for the download of ANY car you ever wanted??? That's where we are headed with htis.

Don't bet on that .. 3D Car meshes run about $100 from the well known 3D Auto Mesh creators. Something useable for 3D printing take even more work to make it printable.

Don't bet on that .. 3D Car meshes run about $100 from the well known 3D Auto Mesh creators. Something useable for 3D printing take even more work to make it printable.

Correct....I should have said CURRENT cars....as I see manufactures seeing this much like free promos of the 1960's......

But I also see as more and more folks learn the 3D software....costs will come down. Much like the laser machines I own. New they were $60K.....now a more powerful machine is under $2K.......That is a HUGE price change.....so will downloads come down as this end of the hobby grows.