Model Cars Magazine Forum

Finally finished it up and took some pics today.

LRE kit with Gooche decals, GM front axel made poseable, parts box roll bar, lights and mirrors and grille guard and spare tire holder made from scratch. Paint is Tamiya acrilyc on the body with Testors bottle paint for interior.chassis etc.

Wheels were from my original Warlock kit I had when I was a kid back in the late '70s and I built the rest of the truck around them. :D

IMG_1802-vi.jpg

IMG_1799-vi.jpg

IMG_1794-vi.jpg

IMG_1791-vi.jpg

IMG_1795-vi.jpg

IMG_1798-vi.jpg

I always thought that truck looked hot.

So does yours!

Around 1977,I had a Datsun 620 pickup that I had painted black.

I put gold tape striping on it and painted the white spoke wheels antique gold.

I got several compliments on it.

Steve, I always enjoy checking out your posts to see what you've created, and this build definitely doesn't disappoint. I couldn't help but notice that you used Tamiya acrylic black for the body. In an age when many members are gravitating toward Tamiya lacquers for ease of use and great results, it was surprising, but nice, to see someone use an alternative and still get results like you did.

I also noticed that you really went to town on the grille. In addition to the regular detail painting, you replaced MPC's chromed headlights, which can kill the "real car" look of almost any kit, with some fantastic replacements. They may be one of the biggest difference makers on the whole truck. (See Steve's WIP thread for details).

I'm glad you got to build one of these, as they seem to be scarce and expensive. I also hope someone at Round2 will check the molds one more time to see if there's still a way to pop out a mid-'70s Dodge pickup or two.

post-972-0-36422700-1434474392.jpg