Model Cars Magazine Forum

New project, 32 Ford Roadster, 7/21/15... chassis complete, coming close!

JTalmage

Pulled my most recently purchased kit off the top of my stash because I was drawn to it. It's the monogram topless 32 ford with the fenders and frame as one unit.

I would like to make it sort of a 60's hot rod with a bit of patina. I found some finned valve covers in my parts box and realized I wanted a 3 carb intake after I already glued the single 4 barrel intake on... whoops.

Anyone know off hand what kit I could rob a 3 carb intake from, for a smallblock chevy?

Anyway, I was initially thinking of painting it cliché flat black... but remembered I had a can of model masters honduras maroon. I think I'll paint it that color and hit it with flat clear. After some weathering of course. Complete with an off-white firewall and maybe a touch of rust here and there. What are your opinions?

20150706_222811_zpsaj0hoggj.jpg

20150706_222821_zps4atjp0oy.jpg

20150706_222827_zpsv3wiuett.jpg

Edited by JTalmage

You got the stance already nailed down, looks cool. The Monogram 32 Roadster is a decent kit to build. As far as what to use for a triple carb setup in 1/24 scale you have me a little stumped. Can't wait to see more.

Edited by carnut

Hey Jesse...looking forward to seeing your take on this old classic kit. There's a nice 1/24 scale 3 deuce set up for this engine in the Monogram 1930 touring and also a nice six deuce set up in Monogram 1930 Woody, either one will look great.

Aloha...Pete

Hey, that's a fun kit...or frustrating, depending on your expectations. I've only built 1, but I really enjoyed it.

The Revell-monogram '30 Touring has a tri-carb intake that will fit this engine. The SBC in the Touring also has higher detail than the old roadster parts.

This kit sits pretty high, out of the box. Grinding/filing some material off the front crossmember (and possibly the back), and shaving the front spring down, can get it lower.

The '30 Phaeton has a more detailed dashboard with a separate chromed insert, as well.

You're just a building machine Jesse! Looking forward to the outcome.

I'm trying! LOL

I've got way too many kits and not enough space!

I'm probably about to bump 150 kits and I seriously need to get building. This weather isnt helping though.

Well go figure, I overlook the 30 model a touring sedan hot rod for like a year at the hobby shop and the one time I want it it's gone.

Oh well. I'll probably just stick to the kit engine. I'll check my parts box this weekend for something just in case.

Tonight I worked on lowering the stance. And now it's about as low as it can go. No pics because nothing is glued in place and it raises back up a touch when I let go. Soon though

Looks like you have a nice start on your car. I built one a little while back and used an old Nascar kit for suspension and running gear, The engine fit headers and all, the rear suspension dropped in too, all I had to do was add a strip of styrene to the inside of the fenders assembly to replicate the missing frame rails.

100_0067.jpg

Check some old Tom Daniels kits for some cool induction setups. I think the Pie Wagon has 3 deuces with cool custom wedge-shaped scoops on each.

Most if not all TD kits were 1/24. Cool build, great start, much luck to you!

Thanks for the tip.

I've also decided to use the Rat Roadster firewall on this kit as well. It doesnt have any locating pins so I can tuck it as far as I want into the body w/o making it look goofy. I think a few mm's need filed off of it though so the body sits down just a touch more.. just a tiny bit.

I initially wanted to use the rat roadster wheels and tires, but the rears stick out way too far. The fronts would possibly work, but I'd rather use the full set. So I'll stick to the stockers and paint the centers. I'd like to experiment w/ painting whitewalls on to the tires as well.

The weather here has been rainy and humid... so no chances of me being able to put paint on it yet.

I also havent ruled out the possibility of it getting a Duvall windsheild

Edited by JTalmage

I initially wanted to use the rat roadster wheels and tires, but the rears stick out way too far. The fronts would possibly work, but I'd rather use the full set. So I'll stick to the stockers and paint the centers. I'd like to experiment w/ painting whitewalls on to the tires as well.

The kit supplied chrome reverse rims fit very nicely into the tires from any of the Revell Deuce kits. Those tires are much nicer than the kit supplied ones. In addition the modelhaus also has those Revell deuce tires recast with whitewall inserts. They look great with the chrome reverse wheels supplied in the deuce roadster kit you are working on.

So this weekend was looking good until I couldnt help myself... and you'll see why.

So at first I wanted to make this thing a worn looking ride. I thought it would look good. Turns out I'm not so good at that yet.

So here's how it started out

20150711_190659_zpsi3kh1ex7.jpg

20150711_190703_zps3y6xz6ps.jpg

20150711_190709_zps8so9b4sl.jpg

That's when I decided to try and make it looks like an old custom car that was showing its age. I had originally painted it w/ tamiya red brown underneath to simulate an old red primer that might have been used in the 50s/60s. Then painted the titanium gold over it. Well at that point I started to really like how it turned out... but curiosity got the better of me.... and... this happened...

20150711_201902_zpsuo4wp353.jpg

20150711_201911_zpsqw6mhwty.jpg

20150711_201925_zpsd8w0ssts.jpg

20150711_201932_zpsjbdahybb.jpg

So then after that, I said ok the spots I went thru the paint on, I'll touch up w/ sophisticated finishes rust and then flat clear the whole thing.

that's when I decided I really liked the shiney look...

So it went into a bucket of purple power.

Jesse...nice color choice :lol: Here's one I built back in 2008, I think they look good in Gold too! The whitewalls turned out pretty nice...what paint did you use for them? Hope you have better luck with paint the second time.

post-4500-0-36610400-1436835512_thumb.jp

Edited by Flatout

Wow! A splitting image! That looks great. I just painted them with testors bottle paint and then flat cleared them. Purple power is having a rough time stripping the Tamiya paint.... might have to resort to brake fluid. Didn't want to but we will see. Going to give it a few more days.

Actually, I think you did a nice job on the weathered look. It's not overdone at all, but rather looks like a car that was well-cared for and simply needs a little freshening.

If you decide to use the Model Master Honduras Maroon, that comes out semi-gloss before applying the clear. It looks good for a weathered paint job that needs a good compounding to bring it back, if you want to go for a look that suggests that.

Charlie Larkin

Edited by charlie8575