Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell's New '29 Ford Roadster

Dennis Lacy

Dennis...great progress.  It's interesting to compare your version to mine which is also coming along.   

I've been thinking along similar lines (subbing in the Halibrand QC and "Bell" axle tubes while leaving the outer shock mounts, radius rods, and axle ends from the host kit).  I hadn't considered using the '32 kit coil overs in place of the stock Revell kit pieces, but I like the look on your build.

In the spirit of early-mid 1960's I swapped a set of hairpins for the split radius rods - I used the extra set from the Revell '32 For 5W coupe kit.  I haven't altered the front suspension stance as you have, hoping that the "rubber rake" from the larger rear tire OD I'm using will make up the difference.  As a result, I'm expecting my car to have a similar rake to yours, but sit a bit higher all around.  

Really good approach on those front shock towers....I may (in fact, probably will) copy your approach on that.  

I'm going to retain the '29 grille on mine, but I hope to vertically section the radiator to reduce the thickness by 50%or more, which should help the "nose too far forward" appearance of the box stock Channeled version I finished last week.  

Can't wait to see your next updates.....Best Regards....TIM  

Dennis...great progress.  It's interesting to compare your version to mine which is also coming along.   

I've been thinking along similar lines (subbing in the Halibrand QC and "Bell" axle tubes while leaving the outer shock mounts, radius rods, and axle ends from the host kit).  I hadn't considered using the '32 kit coil overs in place of the stock Revell kit pieces, but I like the look on your build.

In the spirit of early-mid 1960's I swapped a set of hairpins for the split radius rods - I used the extra set from the Revell '32 For 5W coupe kit.  I haven't altered the front suspension stance as you have, hoping that the "rubber rake" from the larger rear tire OD I'm using will make up the difference.  As a result, I'm expecting my car to have a similar rake to yours, but sit a bit higher all around.  

Really good approach on those front shock towers....I may (in fact, probably will) copy your approach on that.  

I'm going to retain the '29 grille on mine, but I hope to vertically section the radiator to reduce the thickness by 50%or more, which should help the "nose too far forward" appearance of the box stock Channeled version I finished last week.  

Can't wait to see your next updates.....Best Regards....TIM  

Tim,

I considered grafting the outer parts of the kit axle tubes to the tapered axle housings but found that the size discrepancy where the two would need to join would leave a noticeable step. This way was pretty easy, really. With the rear lowered 1/16th" the Revell '32 series coil overs are the perfect length, just have to drill a hole for the upper mount pins. I would have changed them anyway because the '29 kit coil overs look too fat.

If I had not lowered the back of the car first I probably could have gotten away with doing nothing in the front, kinda painted myself into a corner. Now that it's all done I'm glad I did it because I'm really happy with the stance.

I can't wait to see your A-framed '29 hiboy! 

B)  

Tim,

I considered grafting the outer parts of the kit axle tubes to the tapered axle housings but found that the size discrepancy where the two would need to join would leave a noticeable step. This way was pretty easy, really. With the rear lowered 1/16th" the Revell '32 series coil overs are the perfect length, just have to drill a hole for the upper mount pins. I would have changed them anyway because the '29 kit coil overs look too fat.

If I had not lowered the back of the car first I probably could have gotten away with doing nothing in the front, kinda painted myself into a corner. Now that it's all done I'm glad I did it because I'm really happy with the stance.

I can't wait to see your A-framed '29 hiboy! 

B)  

Dennis...thanks for the feedback...I just checked it myself and now I get your point about the axle tubes.  I think you've convinced me.

I also remember thinking the '29 kit coil overs were too fat when I went through the first round test shots 18 months ago...I do think they look a lot better in final form with the plating and some flat black detailing between the coils...but I also get your point on the '32 coil overs and may try that approach as well.  

Resolving the rear axle setup is the last major thing I have to do before completing the model...so it should be done in a few days.  Thanks on behalf of all reading this thread for your guidance on this....TIM  

UPDATE

With most of the heavy fab work and changes handled today it was dialing in all the nitty gritty to get ready for paint. 

I cut down the grill insert to fit the 1/8th" sectioned shell.

photo2-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

I cut down a more vintage looking radiator from one of Monogram's old '32 Roadsters and added a fill neck which will get a little chrome cap on it.

photo4-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

I couldn't imagine a car like this running a stock gauge panel like the kit provides so I took the dashboard from one of Monogram's old '32 Roadsters and cut out the Stewart Warner 5-gauge panel, thinned it down and will attach to the kit dash. Simple and effective.

I drilled the engine block for a Detail Master distributor and the cylinder heads for the wires.

photo1-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

I made a basic ignition coil from a section of .060" rod which has a .040" mounting pin inserted through the side and fits into a corresponding hole I drilled into the firewall.

photo4-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

I decided to cut the wheel wells away from the interior panels and permanently attach them to body to cut down on masking operations during painting.

Hosted on Fotki

To go along with the dual purpose look of the car I decided to add this chrome roll bar. I drilled the ends of the bar and inserted .040" rod for mounting pins. It was very typical for a roll bar to pass through the body's tulip panel and extend down to the floor/frame.

Lastly, a "yard sale" view of everything ready for paint.

B)

Edited by Dennis Lacy

UPDATE

We have color, Clarence! Been chipping away at getting this thing painted and as of tonight everything chassis related is good to go, minus fine detailing (like all the finned engine parts, black washing, etc.) The frame and some assorted parts are Testors 1-coat Pure Gold, the Buick engine is Duplicolor red, some pieces Tamiya semi-gloss black, exhaust pipes Tamiya flat white and the aluminum parts Testors metallizer.

photo1-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

All of the interior and body parts are in primer and will be getting color tomorrow and Friday. I might just have it all ready for final assembly this weekend. We'll see...

B)

Edited by Dennis Lacy

UPDATE

During the week I managed to get everything for this project painted. Only had a 1-day weekend so today I spent the afternoon and a little bit of the evening and did the best I could which included doing a bunch of fine detail painting and black washing. I would say the roadster is 80% there. The body is not glued down yet and the wheels are not attached but I couldn't help mocking everything up for a sneak peek. Worst case, it will be finished by next Sunday.

Please excuse the poor lighting. :wacko:

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

Richard....that is looking spectacular, I must say! Without going back through this thread, can you adivse what kit or source you used for the wheels (which look terrific) as well as the roll bar?  Those are both great touches that perfectly cement the era/theme of your build into the early 1960's.  And needless to say, I appreciate what you did with the ribbed parts on the powertrain!   The whole color scheme is original and fits together very well.  

Cheers...TIM .  

DENNIS....that is looking spectacular, I must say! Without going back through this thread, can you adivse what kit or source you used for the wheels (which look terrific) as well as the roll bar?  Those are both great touches that perfectly cement the era/theme of your build into the early 1960's.  And needless to say, I appreciate what you did with the ribbed parts on the powertrain!   The whole color scheme is original and fits together very well.  

Cheers...TIM .  

Fixed that for you, LOL!

The wheels are from Revell's '49 Mercury, front tires from the new '29 kit and the slicks are Revell M&H like what come in the Orange Crate, older SWC Willys, etc... I don't know where the roll bar comes from, I found it in one of my parts boxes. It was full height to fit in the interior of something so I cut it down to simulate it passing through the back body panel and down to the floor.

Glad you like it!

B)

Edited by Dennis Lacy