Model Cars Magazine Forum

Reissue the Revell double drag kits!

These would be great!  The Bantam body, the parts packs Roadster and the Dragster speed parts, plus the chassis kits!

What tooling survives? The market seems more friendly to parts packs as well. There were several different tire packs and engine, chassis and body packs never reissued, but most were used in the Double kits?

Anybody know if this would be feasible. I've been told the tooling still exists!

URL]those kits were basically thrown together to get more mileage out of the parts pack molds i would guess and consequently require a lot of effort to get to fit and look right. maybe that's why they have never been reissued (though I believe some of the sprues have been reused in other kits) and why I don't think they lasted in production all that long to begin with.

not much different than what we get now. :(  We're modelers not kit assemblers, we can handle it. :D

Edited by Greg Myers

In my youth, I liked the parts-packs better than buying complete models, actually.

My impression of the drag and roadster chassis, body and accessory kits was that they gave great starting points for building nicely-accurate replicas of the kinds of cars that were running at the time.

Some modification and fabrication was always required to build cars from the packs, but it's not unlike what you have to do to build a real car, so it always appealed to me...and helped prepare me for a world where everything isn't an easy bolt-on or perfect fit.

Over the past several years, I've collected multiples of most of the old Revell parts-packs, and a couple of the double-drag kits as well. Glad I bought when I did, as the prices are getting really stupid on ebay. I've probably got enough to last the rest of my life, but I'd definitely buy multiple re-issues anyway, if they ever materialized.

I would be for that as well, of course, but the reality was those kits never went together very well, as I have rediscovered in the past few years, and the "parts pack" parts used in them were not chromed like the parts pack versions were (I am not referring to the engines, but the running gear mostly). those kits were basically thrown together to get more mileage out of the parts pack molds i would guess and consequently require a lot of effort to get to fit and look right. maybe that's why they have never been reissued (though I believe some of the sprues have been reused in other kits) and why I don't think they lasted in production all that long to begin with.

jb

I don't remember too many issues, if I could build them when I was 11 years old they can't be too fussy.

They are accurate! Better than most of the reissues we have gotten of "show rods" and cars that are almost unbuildable. Too many are more toys rather than real models.

OBVIOUSLY they were to make use of the parts packs, that would be the point! AND the point of re issuing them.

I for one, would welcome them.

As an aside, the early 60's Revell drag car and Roth kits are VERY accurate and full of accurate, authentic parts!

I don't get the "too hard to build" complaint.

Turns out that the three Revell Double Kits did  have some subtle modifications to some of the Parts Pack trees to ease (relatively speaking) the assembly of the Double Kit feature models.  

I did a buildup of the Bantam Roadster in an article in Model Cars about 8 years ago or so (pearl yellow with red chassis...).  I used Parts Pack components, but compared them to an original issue Double Kit with the Bantam Bomber during assembly.  There were, as I said above, some subtle differences in some of the parts between the original parts packs and the kit.  

This kits were not anywhere near as easy to complete as the new Revell '29A, for instance, but for realism and scale accuracy, they were hard to beat back then and still hold up well today. 

Needless to say, I'd love to have the three Double Kits back just as much as the rest of you posting here.  

Cheers...>TIM 

Thanks Tim.

Do you know if the tooling survives?

The T body was used several times as was the 327 Corvette motor.

Obviously the slicks and some wheels survive, along with the 283, Ford 427, Chrysler  and the Caddy mill.

Can somebody ask at Revell?

Revell-H-1222-2.jpg

Like has been said, these cars were made up by combining all of the individual Parts Packs. For the Scarlet Screamer shown above I have the individual frame kit and Pontiac engine. Neither the frame or that engine have any kind of engine mounting provisions. Tim Boyd said above that he recalls the parts in the Double Car Kits having slight tweaks to aid in assembly. 

ACE, since you claim to own all of these plus the individual kits is there any way you could confirm this???

I was told by a supposedly knowledgeable person that all the tooling still exists, but it would require and extra "pull" of the molds to do, making it unprofitable.

Don't know what THAT means. I know they have been re issued, I saw them in the 80's!

Seems like they might sell from the response here.

Did I say "two kits"? I should have said all three. I'd love to see more photos of these kits. Maybe contents of the boxes. Some built ups. Whatever? Plus more information on history of these kits. When did they first come out? When have they been reissued, if ever? And if they were reissued at one time, was there different box art?

I also wonder, even though I love these old dragsters. Do they sell? Does anybody know how well Revell's retooled Monogram Sizzler/Slingster sold? I got one and loved it. But, I've not seen many built as of yet. Or how well has Round 2 done with the old AMT Double Dragster kit? Of which I bought two. Have completed two cars from the one box, and have started on the two in the other.

The above kits appeal to me. But, would they be worth Revell's time and make them money?

Edited by unclescott58

The AMT Double Dragster has been issued a number of times in recent times.  When they were reissued I got that and the Tony Nancy double dragster kit at the same time.  I had missed all of this as a kid since I lived in different countries.  I opened both of those boxes and WOW! the endless possibilities!   I couldn't sleep that night!  

Um Casey, no....  maybe you should learn to read... or is it glasses?

Above is a photo showing the exact two kits I was speaking of in my post.  Greg Myers had posted "Again it seems a no brainer,  what with the AMT Double Dragster, Sizzler / Slingster and all the other "Nostalgic" re-releases."   I was responding to his remark which is all well and good since we had already established at that point that RM had not reissued their kits.

Last thing we need is snarky remarks from the ex-moderator. There's been enough grief on this board without you encouraging the peanut gallery.

Greg Myers had posted 

Nothing posted by that member is visible to me. Had his comments been quoted, it would've made more sense why the DD kit was even  mentioned, but again, people were discussing the Revell Dual Kits, not other double kits. No worries, it's clear to most of us what Gary was trying to discuss. :)