Model Cars Magazine Forum

Are model kits making a comeback? What gives?

Idk about you guys but I feel like the model industry is making a comeback, what seemed like a dead hobby only for a rare few seems to be coming back. Is it due to the economy getting Better? Baby boomers retiring?  We might just be at another golden age of model building. Im seeing a high variety of new molds and re releases of old kits than I ever have over the last 7 years. I know this is still a niche market, and doesn't develop strong enough sales for large retail stores, but I think we're in a good stage right now. 

Idk about you guys but I feel like the model industry is making a comeback, what seemed like a dead hobby only for a rare few seems to be coming back. Is it due to the economy getting Better? Baby boomers retiring?  We might just be at another golden age of model building. Im seeing a high variety of new molds and re releases of old kits than I ever have over the last 7 years. I know this is still a niche market, and doesn't develop strong enough sales for large retail stores, but I think we're in a good stage right now. 

Erik, I fully agree with your observations.    TIM 

I think it's mostly because the model companies finally figured out who their target demographic is. That being, the 40+ crowd. The folks that grew up in the modeling heyday of the 50's through the 70's. But now we're older, and have some disposable income. So they put out some kits that appeal to that crowd, and they sell very well. How many of us will buy multiples of a particularly good kit, or at least buy each of the variations on the kit that is released? I daresay most of us. 

The companies spent the 80's and 90's trying in vain to pull in the 15 year olds that bought so many in the decades before. Now they get it.

I'm 24 years old and I can tell you that when I was younger (pretty much circa the millennium), it was easier to find model kits sitting on the shelves of the local Wal-Mart, Toys R Us, general store, etc. In fact, seeing a model on the shelf of a department store that my mother used to frequent is what got me interested in this hobby. But now you really have to know where to look to find a model, especially a decent selection, and I feel like kids now don't have the opportunities for such sudden encounters that could tune them into the hobby. It seems like there's more options in the way of kits, but you definitely have to turn to more specialty stores like your LHS, HL, or a hobby website to acquire the kits as opposed to just running into them while running errands at "normal" stores. 

I have my opinions on how I believe the subject matter we're seeing a lot of at the moment might be turning younger people away, but that's for a different topic. 

Edited by av405

Between the new releases, the reissues, the aftermarket, and the internet, things are probably as good in the hobby as they've ever been–maybe better. The only downside (to some people) is the gradual disappearance of the traditional "hobby shop." But we went from mom and pop corner store to supermarket... horse and buggy to automobile... candles to electric lights... we can go from LHS to internet. B)

I think one of the big factors is that the model companies have finally stabilized and are selling kits steadily. One must remember that for some time all the model companies where in a state of flux and seemed to be almost at the verge of failing. Most of it could probably be attributed to the fact that they where owned by companies that had many other interest besides model kits. 

Now the model companies are doing what they have done for years, concentrate on models only! 

And yes, we are in a very special time in Model Kit history. The new and the old have merged and we seem to be getting the best of both worlds. New tools and vintage re-issues some of us thought we would never see again. Incredible materials to build with and create, from parts to decals, we almost have become our own model shops! 

But I do agree with Harry, it is a bummer to see Hobby Shops go by the wayside. 

Between the new releases, the reissues, the aftermarket, and the internet, things are probably as good in the hobby as they've ever been–maybe better. The only downside (to some people) is the gradual disappearance of the traditional "hobby shop." But we went from mom and pop corner store to supermarket... horse and buggy to automobile... candles to electric lights... we can go from LHS to internet. <_<

I fully agree with you, Harry, but, as sloow as I build, when I run out of Testors Flat Black I need it NOW! ... when my LHS closes I'm going to get antsy waiting for a week from Amazon. :wacko:

Between the new releases, the reissues, the aftermarket, and the internet, things are probably as good in the hobby as they've ever been–maybe better. The only downside (to some people) is the gradual disappearance of the traditional "hobby shop." But we went from mom and pop corner store to supermarket... horse and buggy to automobile... candles to electric lights... we can go from LHS to internet. B)

Yeah, but it's a pain in the butt to run over to an internet store for some glue, or a bottle of paint!

Art

I don't see how sitting at home in a comfy chair and pressing a few keys on your keyboard is a "pain in the butt."

Seems easier to me than going out to the car, driving to the hobby shop, buying the paint or whatever, and driving back home. Especially if the weather is bad, snow on the road, traffic, etc., etc.

Yeah, by going to the store and buying something, I get it right away vs. ordering online. But if you keep track of what you have and what you need as far as basic supplies go, and plan your orders, not only will you never run out of paint or foil or whatever, but by combining several small ticky-tacky orders into one large order every 3-6 months or whatever your building schedule/activity dictates, you'll only pay once for S/H. You don't wait until your last bottle of flat black is empty... you order when you're down to your last bottle or two. That way you never run out of anything. It does take a bit of planning ahead, but it's not exactly hard to do.

We are on the verge of the third renaissance of auto modeling!

The first was the time we were young and model cars were everywhere for much of the 1960s.  We built models because all the other kids did! It was a mania.

The second renaissance was when Gary Schmidt came out with Scale Auto Enthusiast Magazine.  There hadn't been a model car magazine in a long time at that point. We can credit this with connecting the existing model building base, as well as bringing many of us back to the hobby. That includes me,  I found SAE in a bookstore while on a business trip and I've been involved for the last 28 years!

The third renaissance is upon us. As Jesse said, the model companies are in their best state in a long time.  For years they floundered under various owners who didn't know the market and how to profit from these assets.  Now, all three companies (Revell/Monogram, Round 2 and Moebius) are run by people who know the market and how to navigate in this business, under the current conditions.  And the best part is that these folks are all enthusiasts with a passion for our hobby. 

As mentioned, the Baby Boomer generation is retiring at a fast rate.  No coincidence that these are the same kids who built models back in the 1960s, so the model companies realize the potential of this new market. Guys have time on  their hands that can be filled with hobbies, and a hobby that isn't as expensive as some of the alternatives is perfect for people on retirement income. So that's the focus now... produce model kits that appeal to this generation. 

The third aspect is that along with the Baby Boomers, many of the hobby's spokesmen are also retiring and will have more time to devote to  the hobby.  That means they will be able to spend more time building and writing articles, and promoting for the betterment of the hobby.  

Another aspect is the Internet.  People originally thought this would be the death of the hobby but it's actually been a big catalyst for our communications.  We all chat daily on message boards with people from around the globe, friends will mail you parts you need and for those people who don't have local clubs and activities, you can join into virtual clubs of people on-line. Research that took months can be accomplish near instantly with the wealth of knowledge stored on servers around the world. As business changes, with the loss of hobby shops and places to buy models, e-Commerce to the rescue. Models and supplies sometimes with next day delivery.  And it's just a matter of time that we will be communicating face to face via the Internet.  The technology exists, I use it every day in business. It's just a matter of cost and adaptation.

Things can only get better!

I think the market for all models has changed. I seldom see kids in the LHS's. The subject matter has matured in cars, aircraft, armor, ships and other subjects.

Things are better than ever subject wise. I DO lament the demise of brick and mortar stores, be they hobby shops, bookstores or whatever. It was WAY more fun to browse the shelves, not knowing what you'd find. It's also better to pick something up and look at it ( think box art) before buying.  Not to mention talking to people. PLus the web has driven "auction" prices way too high.

It isn't some pain to go out to the LHS, IT'S WAY MORE FUN THAN THE INTERNET!!

Most of it could probably be attributed to the fact that they where owned by companies that had many other interest besides model kits. 

Now the model companies are doing what they have done for years, concentrate on models only! 

And yes, we are in a very special time in Model Kit history. The new and the old have merged and we seem to be getting the best of both worlds. New tools and vintage re-issues some of us thought we would never see again. Incredible materials to build with and create, from parts to decals, we almost have become our own model shops! 

I think this statement is the biggest reason.

I DO lament the demise of brick and mortar stores, be they hobby shops, bookstores or whatever. It was WAY more fun to browse the shelves, not knowing what you'd find. It's also better to pick something up and look at it ( think box art) before buying.  Not to mention talking to people. Plus the web has driven "auction" prices way too high.

It isn't some pain to go out to the LHS, IT'S WAY MORE FUN THAN THE INTERNET!!

I have to agree with Gary here! I always loved going to the hobby shop!  Back in the day on a Saturday morning I'd tell my wife I was headed off to Home Depot and on the way I'd stop at the local hobby shop.  It was a great place to hang out, you never knew who was going to walk in.  Lots of nice chats which often led to lunch outings. And of course you never left empty handed. You always found things you didn't know you needed, but weren't leaving without.  Going to the hobby shop had nothing to do with "needing to shop".  It was an adventure all to itself.

I don't agree that the web has driven up auction prices, just the opposite.  eBay has made the rare common.  Before the Internet you could go to a show maybe a few times a year and I remember dealers having $300 price tags on sealed  Hemi Under Glass / Touchtone Terror / Fireball 500 kits.  Once eBay became mainstream, if you were patient, the same kits showed up on a regular basis,  ultimately driving down prices. And you can shop daily 24/7. Never mind that eventually all three of these kits have been reissued!  

I do think that we're in s good time of this hobby with new kits becoming available and also some old kits being re-issued as well. We have two great model car magazines, LOTs of resin kits, bodies, parts, and LOTS of aftermarket companies as well supplying us with paint, decals, tools, etc. But I think that we're almost at the "peak" as when some of us "boomers" start leaving this world and not nearly enough of the younger generation to replace us, I believe the plastic model kit hobby is going to see a downward spiral. Just my thoughts on this subject and no reason to get upset, in fact just continue to enjoy this hobby of ours.

I'm not satisfied with simply looking at a picture of something, no matter what it is. I'd rather see it myself. Tom, you are right, Hobby Shops are FUN.

As for e bay, I've never used it, not interested. I guess it's partly a function of where you live. Here in Los Angeles there USED to be maybe four times ( or more ) hobby shops than exist now. When you added junk, antique and curio stores it wasn't hard to find long oop kits at reasonable prices. Those stores have also disappeared, largely because of e bay. Everyone who has anything more than a few years old is convinced it's "vintage" and worth a lot of money, no matter what it is. I have over 600 kits, I have only spent in excess of $100 once, and that for an untouched since 1964 AMT Grand Prix from a friend whose deceased brother bought it new in 64. Otherwise none of my kits cost me over 50 bucks! I like wheeling and dealing too! Can't bargain on the internet, plus I like to look in the eyes of who I'm dealing with. Again, you meet fellow modelers. Just my preferences though, to each their own!

I don't see how sitting at home in a comfy chair and pressing a few keys on your keyboard is a "pain in the butt."

Seems easier to me than going out to the car, driving to the hobby shop, buying the paint or whatever, and driving back home. Especially if the weather is bad, snow on the road, traffic, etc., etc.

Yeah, by going to the store and buying something, I get it right away vs. ordering online. But if you keep track of what you have and what you need as far as basic supplies go, and plan your orders, not only will you never run out of paint or foil or whatever, but by combining several small ticky-tacky orders into one large order every 3-6 months or whatever your building schedule/activity dictates, you'll only pay once for S/H. You don't wait until your last bottle of flat black is empty... you order when you're down to your last bottle or two. That way you never run out of anything. It does take a bit of planning ahead, but it's not exactly hard to do.

Punching a few keystrokes to order online is easier; but, it's not anywhere near as fun as actually going to a real shop. is it really necessary to drive your car in order to go to a hobby shop? Never mind....i noticed in your sig where you live. I'll give you a Mulligan on that one. :) I use the subway here. One would have to be certifiably insane to give up a parking spot in NYC just to drive to shop in the city. Finding a parking space anywhere near where you're going is pretty much an exercise in futility. The friggin' store would be closed for the day by the time you find one.

There was a time I could walk to four hobby shops or stationery stores in the neighborhood that carried models and supplies. Add to that all of the candy stores that stocked kits. The kits were usually next to the comic book racks so I could kill two birds with one stone. I can buy my models and comics then take a seat at the counter to have a chocolate egg cream and a Charlotte Russe while busting open the model box to check out the loot. Try getting an egg cream and a Charlotte Russe online!

Internet shopping has taken away the close, personal and friendly relationship once shared between customer and shop owner. One of my favorite places was Jack's Hobby Shop in, where else, Greenpernt. The old couple who owned the place were German and neither was named Jack. It didn't matter because we couldn't pronounce their real names anyway. My friends and I would spend Saturdays going through endless shelves of model kits, chemistry supplies, train sets and gas powered Cox airplanes. As a matter of fact, we'd spend so much time looking, Mrs. Jack, who looked like Sgt. Schultz in a wig, would eventually ask the question, "Ach, Mein Gott! Vat vill happen first, you kids buying sumtink or I drop dead?!?" Our usual, and perfunctory response, uttered in unison, was, "You dropping dead!" Mrs. Jack would then scream at us to get out. After we paid for our stuff, that is. This went on week in and week out for years. Mrs. Jack and us kids were mortal enemies; yet, there was a mutual respect for each other. Mrs. Jack for us, because she wanted us to spend every stinking cent in our pockets there; and, we for her because that store was the only place in the neighborhood that carried the entire Aurora "Glow in the Dark" monster kits and Hawk "Weird-Ohs" lines.

I agree that going to a hobby shop in person is a different experience than shopping online. Of course it's different. And most all of us have those pleasant "misty watercolor memories" of when we were kids and would hang out at the LHS. I used to do it, too.

But the stuff I like to build you're not going to find at any brick and mortar store. For me, the internet makes buying the kits I prefer to build not only easier... it makes it possible.

All the good hobby shops around me closed, Trost on 63rd in the city, Stantons in the city, Venture hobby and, Als hobby in the burbs , whats left is a few miles from me in the next town , not a bad place, has more paint than any hobby shop Ive been in , 70% of their inventory is trains , so to get alot of what I buy I go to shows or buy on ebay,or trade with others. There are other hobby shops in the area but the offerings are cookie cut.

But the stuff I like to build you're not going to find at any brick and mortar store. 

You would've loved Jack's, man. Jack's, along with Polk's Hobby Shop in Manhattan, was one of the first places to sell Pocher kits in the city in the late '60s. Mr. Jack built all of the models displayed in the windows, including the Pocher Fiat F2 130HP set up on a rotating display base. That was for sale at the then unreachable (for a ten year old) price of 65 bucks.

A lot of good reasons listed here. I grew up in the heyday of model building and my father was also a modeler, more into old ships. I built before I went in the service, and when I got out life got so busy with work and raising a family. After a divorce in the late 70's I stared building again for a while, but going back in the service and starting a new life and family took my time away again. When I retired I needed something to fill the time and once again returned to building, so I started for the 3rd time.

I still have some models I built in the 70's one of which I need to restore, and several kits I never built from then.

You would've loved Jack's, man. Jack's, along with Polk's Hobby Shop in Manhattan, was one of the first places to sell Pocher kits in the city in the late '60s. Mr. Jack built all of the models displayed in the windows, including the Pocher Fiat F2 130HP set up on a rotating display base. That was for sale at the then unreachable (for a ten year old) price of 65 bucks.

Yep, that sounds like a place I could have spent some quality time in!

The shop me and my buddies hung out at on a Saturday when we were kids was Bill's Hobby Shop on Fullerton Ave., a few blocks east of Pulaski on the NW side of Chicago. But Bill's never sold Pochers. In fact, the first time I ever saw a Pocher kit was in a Sharper Image catalog! And the very first Pocher kit I ever bought was at a Sharper Image store in the loop in downtown Chicago... maybe around 1980 or so. I remember telling my wife (GF at the time) to just keep driving around the block (no way you could find a parking spot downtown, even back then) until I came out of the store. A few laps later, I had my first Pocher! :D

"There was a time I could walk to four hobby shops or stationery stores in the neighborhood that carried models and supplies"

Don't get me started!

I grew up in Milwaukie Oregon, a suburb of Portland. EVERYPLACE sold model kits.

I rode my brothers hand me down Schwinn Corvette ( NOT Sting Ray) 3 speed all over the place, much farther than officially allowed.

The Milwaukie Hobby Shop sold models, parts packs plus was the only place that carried AMT paints.

The Safeway on Woodstock had an entire row of models, the biggest anywhere local.

The bike shop next to it also sold models AND Derringers Variety that was also next door had a model section. The OTHER Derringers 5 minutes away sold models and the sporting goods store in the same shopping center did as well. They also sold the Revell,Custom Car Parts packs.

The variety at the South Gate Center sold models as did a small drug store on 52nd Street. And of course, good ol' Fred Meyers all had huge model sections.

All these stores had a complete line of Testors and Pactra paints! 10 cents for bottles, 69 cents for spray.

There were even more, but I'll not list them all. It was kid / model paradise. I had a small fleet of ship models and a raging  WW2 battle of 1/72nd aircraft hanging from my bedroom ceiling.

I am proud to say that much of the reason I still build is to recapture those wonderful days.

Here's a pic of Derringers and one of Toyland lloyd Center. I bought my first 1/25th scale cars at Toyland in 1964. The AMT Olds and the 64 Chevy. Yes I AM a thousand years old!

toyland.jpg

derringers.jpg

Edited by GaryR
add pics