Model Cars Magazine Forum

Touch Tone Terror kit

Bucket T

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/6/2023 at 6:25 PM, Casey said:

Financially, probably not, but it's really what makes this kit unique, and I would bet people would buy it just because a vintage style phone booth is included.

I don’t know what else is in the kit but if it doesn’t have a phone booth I believe I will pass. No phone booth makes it the same as the little red wagon…

10 hours ago, slusher said:

I don’t know what else is in the kit but if it doesn’t have a phone booth I believe I will pass. No phone booth makes it the same as the little red wagon…

Not the same content, a full tree of parts has been restored which include the ladder and ladder rack, Pay phone and receiver plus some of the ding-a-ling.   Also, full decals to do the Touch Tone Terror, Telephone Service Truck and Frisco Sleeper versions.  Not to mention 4 sheets of printed display items. 

-Steve  

• Like 8

11 hours ago, SteveG said:

Not the same content, a full tree of parts has been restored which include the ladder and ladder rack, Pay phone and receiver plus some of the ding-a-ling.   Also, full decals to do the Touch Tone Terror, Telephone Service Truck and Frisco Sleeper versions.  Not to mention 4 sheets of printed display items. 

-Steve  

I respect your job and effort of AMT but I have a pay phone that was in one of the AMT  tip top shop. I have a ladder, the phone booth was the big extra. Cardboard is disappointing..

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Tim Boyd, any chance we will get one of your comprehensive sneak peeks at the newly reissued Touch Tone Terror kit? Not that I'm complaining, but I feel like with all the hubbub over the AMT cloned '60 & '63 Fords, there hasn't been as much attention paid to this release as it might ordinarily warrant.

23 minutes ago, garagepunk66 said:

Tim Boyd, any chance we will get one of your comprehensive sneak peeks at the newly reissued Touch Tone Terror kit? Not that I'm complaining, but I feel like with all the hubbub over the AMT cloned '60 & '63 Fords, there hasn't been as much attention paid to this release as it might ordinarily warrant.

Isn't it just the Lindberg Little Red Truck w/ different decals?   Nothing new except for the decals, I'd assume...

32 minutes ago, Rob Hall said:

Isn't it just the Lindberg Little Red Truck w/ different decals?   Nothing new except for the decals, I'd assume...

No, there are some new (restored) parts. The canopy and some Ding-a-Ling parts too, IIRC.

12 hours ago, Rob Hall said:

Stavanzer is correct. Round 2/AMT recreated the lost tooling for the telephone company service truck ladder rack, ladder, and some Ding-A-Ling parts IIRC. The phone booth will be cardboard in this release however. The "Frisco Sleeper" canopy panels I presume also are cardboard like the original (IIRC anyway, the last time I saw the original kit contents was in 1982 when I made a trade of my mint-in-box unbuilt kit to another hobbyist). 

Edited by garagepunk66
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/17/2024 at 9:00 PM, stavanzer said:

And here is the build.

You know, I understand that he's under time constraints to build those kits in a timely fashion, but DAMN.

Taking 45 minutes to go over various parts with a sharp X-Acto knife, and some files/sandpaper to remove the flash for this build would probably better served Round 2 in promoting the kit. 

Holy Smokes. 

• Like 2

Just a bit of old humor from the pages of Hugh Hefner's magazine: The cartoon of the inebriated person hanging out of the the telephone booth looking up and speaking into the phone saying 'I'm at the corner of telephone and telephone'

greg

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, garagepunk66 said:

You know, I understand that he's under time constraints to build those kits in a timely fashion, but DAMN.

Taking 45 minutes to go over various parts with a sharp X-Acto knife, and some files/sandpaper to remove the flash for this build would probably better served Round 2 in promoting the kit. 

Holy Smokes. 

I agree with you but this seems to be his building style. His painting has improved somewhat over time though. Sometimes I think he is deliberately trolling the perfectionists among us.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, oldscool said:

I agree with you but this seems to be his building style. His painting has improved somewhat over time though. Sometimes I think he is deliberately trolling the perfectionists among us.

I suppose there's vague value in - If this guy can do it, anyone can...if his work wasn't being used in advertising. 

• Like 1

Just FYI, I found this 3D printable file on Cults 3D, of a 1/24 scale phone booth that's pretty similar in style to the one originally included in the kit, for those wishing to complete a service truck diorama

https://cults3d.com/en/3d-model/architecture/telephone-booth-3d-printable-in-various-scales

Doozy also makes this neat little resin-cast retro payphone kiosk.

https://rcworld.us/doozy-1-24-pay-phone-resin-model-kit-dz011/

Edited by garagepunk66