Model Cars Magazine Forum

Touch Tone Terror kit

Bucket T

5 hours ago, Casey said:

I would assume the phone booth will be present, but the Ding-A-Ling(!) and the 'Frisco top we can live without. @SteveG any info you can share?

Yes, being brought back but without the clear phone booth parts. It will part of the printed items instead.   The cost to retool those new parts in the U.S. is too expensive to make it work  The rest of the parts are back including the telephone truck rack parts.  All the plastic parts will be molded in the US.  

-Steve

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

46 minutes ago, SteveG said:

Yes, being brought back but without the clear phone booth parts. It will part of the printed items instead.   The cost to retool those new parts in the U.S. is too expensive to make it work  The rest of the parts are back including the telephone truck rack parts.  All the plastic parts will be molded in the US.  

-Steve

GREAT news - thanks for the confirmation Steve!  Exciting! 

The Touch Tone Terror A-100 is listed as coming soon on the Stevens International site.    Also, in Rocketfin Hobbies

AMT PLASTIC MODEL KITS AMT-1389 1/25 1966 Dodge A100 Pickup Truck "Touch Tone Terror" $35.99 TBA

Touch Tone Terror.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SteveG said:

-Steve

Hey Steve.  Just a little clarification on the phone booth. So, no phone booth in the kit?  Or, instead of the clear parts; the parts of the booth will be a solid color plastic because of the increased cost to do the parts in clear plastic?  Thanks.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GMP440 said:

Hey Steve.  Just a little clarification on the phone booth. So, no phone booth in the kit?  Or, instead of the clear parts; the parts of the booth will be a solid color plastic because of the increased cost to do the parts in clear plastic?  Thanks.

Nothing to do with the cost of the plastic, the phone booth is made up of about a dozen pieces requiring a decent size and expensive new mold.  It is also a very fiddley design. Gluing individual clear parts is hard enough, this phone booth is almost all clear parts.  See the instruction sheet below.   Instead, we're including a printed prop phone booth that's relatively easy to assemble.

-Steve

spacer.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, SteveG said:

Nothing to do with the cost of the plastic, the phone booth is made up of about a dozen pieces requiring a decent size and expensive new mold.  It is also a very fiddley design. Gluing individual clear parts is hard enough, this phone booth is almost all clear parts.  See the instruction sheet below.   Instead, we're including a printed prop phone booth that's relatively easy to assemble.

That looks fiddly, that original assembly. The "printed prop phone booth" is going to be cardboard ? 

BTW, great news that it's going to be produced in the USA !

29 minutes ago, SteveG said:

-Steve

spacer.png

That's the very reason I haven't bought a Round 2 kit in a long while. Half ass kits, with the price we have to pay and the original pieces not included. They think they can make it right by adding printed tires and more decals. I would have liked to have bought a few, but I'll pass now. More money for Revell kits 

• Like 1
  • Confused 5

Anyhoo…

No Ding a Lings for us (unless some of those remaining parts are still on the trees somewhere?  I can scratchbuild a rectangular box myself to finish it…) but I’ve been meaning to build a couple of Little Red Wagon variations too for a while so I can see me picking up a few of these…

I think you’re doing a fine job Round 2!  Keep those hits coming! 

• Like 1

Steve Goldman, I am thinking a little forward here.(2 to 5 years ahead). Could the telephone booth for TTT be made to download in 3-d, as a file to purchase in the future? Round 2 is leaving money on the table. I know you have a full plate to carry now (That is good news!). But if you offered a file to purchase and download it for customers, the cost of an injection mold goes away, and the customers who Pass on the cardboard version will purchase the file. ( if they want a plastic / resin 3-d version) It must be affordable to the consumer to do this and also have Round 2 Make money on it too!

I've been trying to get the Touch Tone Terror version of the Dodge A-100 reissued for at least 15 years, going back to my days working with Lindberg.  The biggest problem is in the higher US production costs.  For now, the cost of adding something like a new Van body or even retooling up a dozen parts is just too expensive here.  I have had all kinds of plans for expanding the better Lindberg designed kits, all of those are on hold now.  It came down to producing the TTT without the missing clear booth parts or face having it cancelled altogether.  I already had one US based item cancelled this year due to cost factors and didn't want to lose another one.  Who knows, one day we might just be opening up some other old tooling crates and we'll find the missing phone booth inserts. It's happened before.  

Maybe in the future we will offer downloadable files for all kinds of cool printable things, It's certainly possible.  In the meantime, I'd be surprised if the 3D aftermarket doesn't fill in the gaps in some our new products. I see new items being presented just about every day now.  It's more than I can keep up with. 

-Steve

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, paul alflen said:

Steve Goldman, I am thinking a little forward here.(2 to 5 years ahead). Could the telephone booth for TTT be made to download in 3-d, as a file to purchase in the future? Round 2 is leaving money on the table. I know you have a full plate to carry now (That is good news!). But if you offered a file to purchase and download it for customers, the cost of an injection mold goes away, and the customers who Pass on the cardboard version will purchase the file. ( if they want a plastic / resin 3-d version) It must be affordable to the consumer to do this and also have Round 2 Make money on it too!

In this instance, I think it would be easier for someone that REALLY wants a scale phone booth to try their hand at scratchbuilding. It's all straight cuts and lines. I would think it could be easily done in the amount of time it would take to actually 3D print the thing (but I could be wrong)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SteveG said:

I've been trying to get the Touch Tone Terror version of the Dodge A-100 reissued for at least 15 years, going back to my days working with Lindberg.  The biggest problem is in the higher US production costs.  For now, the cost of adding something like a new Van body or even retooling up a dozen parts is just too expensive here.  I have had all kinds of plans for expanding the better Lindberg designed kits, all of those are on hold now.  It came down to producing the TTT without the missing clear booth parts or face having it cancelled altogether.  I already had one US based item cancelled this year due to cost factors and didn't want to lose another one.  Who knows, one day we might just be opening up some other old tooling crates and we'll find the missing phone booth inserts. It's happened before.  

Maybe in the future we will offer downloadable files for all kinds of cool printable things, It's certainly possible.  In the meantime, I'd be surprised if the 3D aftermarket doesn't fill in the gaps in some our new products. I see new items being presented just about every day now.  It's more than I can keep up with. 

-Steve

A number of years ago I made a few laser cut kits. The first was the AMT Lil Yeller conversion. You used the Lil Gasser reissue and my laser cut parts. 

yeller1.jpg

YELLER7a.JPG

Next I did Cashbox..

cashboxnet.JPG

I also offered a kit for the Casper Phonebooth MPC kit. It was just the phone booth you added to a T chassis/fender. 

I'd repro the TTT phone booth but I do not have a working laser machine right now and fixing my commercial machine is around $4000.......so until I get that sorted.......maybe at some time I'll be able to make some phone booth parts. Thx

Edited by Dave Van
  • Like 3

23 hours ago, SteveG said:

Yes, being brought back but without the clear phone booth parts. It will part of the printed items instead.   The cost to retool those new parts in the U.S. is too expensive to make it work

Thanks for the info, Steve.

Out of curiosity, and maybe you can't or unwilling to say (totally fine, too), but are the ex-Lindberg/IMC kits still being molded at the facility in Kalkaska, MI? More of a curiosity for me to be honest, so no pressure to answer...or PM works, too.