Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 1939/1940 Ford Sedan

topher5150

On 3/14/2018 at 1:29 PM, alexis said:

I wonder what had to be re-tooled on the body?  I'll need a couple of these, for sure.

I'm guessing a hood. This issue of the kit apparently had a 1940 hood that was unique to this version, with scribe lines for the scoop opening and indentations on either side. It's not the same casting as the original hood, which was returned to subsequent issues. 

20180328_102018.jpg

20180328_102011.jpg

20180328_102049.jpg

20180328_101943.jpg

On 2/26/2018 at 9:43 PM, Greg Myers said:

AMT kit a lot more fun to build, not as fiddlie as the newer Revell release.

I couldn't agree more. 

The AMT tooling, from 1959, builds a model that can be compared with the modern tool Revell kit. 

The AMT finished car is way more robust than the Revell car. 

Revell has some flaws. One of them is the door panels, that have the Convertible pattern on the top. The seat is also a Convertible item (Deluxe) but lukilly, the "leather" seats were available on base models as well, so it's presence is acceptable. 

The Revell kit has a less accurate representation of the rubber vulcanized to the running boards, and out of the box, the front wheels rub the fenders. 

The major flaw I see on the AMT is the fact it uses the AMT standard edition 15" tires, that look a tad small. 

The simple frame doesn't bother me at all. 

40X40 002.JPG

40X40 004.JPG

40X40 006.JPG

40X40 008.JPG

40X40 015.JPG

Has anyone ever had the original Palmer issue of the Lindberg kit? I’m 51 and never seen it in all my years of collecting and building. I’ve seen the original Palmer Challenger and Mustang quite a few times. I’d like to see the box and contents.

34 minutes ago, ss2000 said:

Has anyone ever had the original Palmer issue of the Lindberg kit? I’m 51 and never seen it in all my years of collecting and building. I’ve seen the original Palmer Challenger and Mustang quite a few times. I’d like to see the box and contents.

Here's the Palmer '40 Ford Sedan review topic:

44 minutes ago, ss2000 said:

IIRC, it was never released until Lindberg released it.

Note that the Palmer kit linked to above is 1/32nd.  Lindberg reissued that 1/32nd one IIRC, but also had a 1/25th '40 Ford--IIRC they reissued that one back in the oughts w/ the Dodge truck cab and flatbed.  Did the 1/25th Lindberg '40 Ford originate with Palmer also? 

Edited by Rob Hall

2 minutes ago, Rob Hall said:

Note that the Palmer kit linked to above is 1/32nd.  Lindberg reissued that 1/32nd one IIRC, but also had a 1/25th '40 Ford--IIRC they reissued that one back in the oughts w/ the Dodge truck cab and flatbed.  Did the 1/25th Lindberg '40 Ford originate with Palmer also? 

Apparently it was originally a Palmer but it was never released by them back then for some reason and never released until Lindberg got the molds in the '90s.

It's cribbed off the AMT kit, almost an exact clone but imperfect.  Like a clone with damaged DNA. :wacko:

1 hour ago, Can-Con said:

Apparently it was originally a Palmer but it was never released by them back then for some reason and never released until Lindberg got the molds in the '90s.

It's cribbed off the AMT kit, almost an exact clone but imperfect.  Like a clone with damaged DNA. :wacko:

Well, I guess I can stop looking for one lol.

On ‎2‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 12:40 PM, Dave Darby said:

I'm up for a few more. I just wish they would re-tool the old chrome side exiting headers and Moon discs. 

It is fun building 39/40s. I am going to make a '39 by putting wipers over the windshield and modifying the dash. My dad had a 39 before WW2 but sold it in 1941, After the war, 1946, he bought a beat up 39 from the black market at the same price as he paid for a new one before the war. There were no new cars to get after the war except for crappy 30s cars.

I have the Lindberg kit of the 40 coupe in pink plastic. Problem I had was the grill surround isn’t stock or the running boards. The rear windows above the trunk don’t have the same shape as the amt body. But the the hood actually fits the amt 40 sedan delivery body I am working on better than amt’s Own hood. Best part is the Lindberg hood is louvered but lacks the hinges. The Lindberg kit I have is dated 1991.

11 minutes ago, Dave Darby said:

I've only seen the Lindberg 40s in pink or blue. Anybody seen a Lindberg 40 kit molded in white? This one has no louvers, like the blue one in a previous post.

20180328_102049.jpg

20180328_102018.jpg

The ones in the L700 kit are white, I haven't seen any earlier issues.

The thin indentions on the sides of the hood appear to be for intakes. I do know that the amt 53 Stude kit has a 392 hemi motor that fits right on the 40 Ford kit chassis motor mounts and it has a twin supercharger. Wouldn’t take much to fit it under the Lindberg hood with a supercharger poking through each side of the hood.