Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 1939/1940 Ford Sedan

topher5150

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/23/2018 at 12:40 AM, ChrisBcritter said:

From what I understand, some retooling was done on the body for this release, correct? If so, can anyone describe what's been done?

That's what I would like to know also. The ad mentions retooled body and scoop. Is there anything different about the body?

Edited by Dave Darby

17 minutes ago, Karl LaFong said:

Well, that saved me $33.00 + dollars!  The "new" hood appears to be far worse than previous versions.

Joining you on the Keeping-My-Money Bench.  That new hood looks downright blobby, for lack of a better word.  Because I really like this old kit and its new decals, I almost bought one at Hobby Lobby recently with a 40% off coupon, bringing the price down to about $19.  Still not worth it.  I already have an original mint-in-the-box issue found cheap at a flea market; a 90's AMT-ERTL re-issue; and 3 of the "Millenium" edition released in 2000.  Those will keep me busy enough in the '40 sedan department.

4 minutes ago, alexis said:

Blobby, or not, I only have one issue of this kit. I want more. Although I'd like and original, or other older issue, I'll wind up getting one of these new issue kits. I'll just live with it, how it is. :(

This might be a case where eBay is your friend.  I just checked Completed Auctions for the AMT '40 Ford sedan and lots of the earlier issues sold for reasonable prices. In some cases less than the current retail price, even including the shipping cost.

A "Diamond in the Rough" set recently sold for $40, which is a steal. One online kit seller has that one priced at $99.  For those who've never seen it, the set includes the '40 sedan with damaged parts, '53 Ford pickup and a dual-axle (4-wheel) trailer. And even metal chains to hold the '40 on the trailer.  It was released back in 1986.

2 hours ago, Mike999 said:

Joining you on the Keeping-My-Money Bench.  That new hood looks downright blobby, for lack of a better word.  Because I really like this old kit and its new decals, I almost bought one at Hobby Lobby recently with a 40% off coupon, bringing the price down to about $19.  Still not worth it.  I already have an original mint-in-the-box issue found cheap at a flea market; a 90's AMT-ERTL re-issue; and 3 of the "Millenium" edition released in 2000.  Those will keep me busy enough in the '40 sedan department.

I don't have one so with the pad printed tires and new decal sheet it's worth it to me with a 40 percent off coupon. I can see your point Mike if you already have a couple....

14 minutes ago, Richard Bartrop said:

So it's probably going to be dangerously close to $50 by the time it hits the shelves here.   Yeah, not going to happen.

See below. 

4 hours ago, Mike999 said:

This might be a case where eBay is your friend.  I just checked Completed Auctions for the AMT '40 Ford sedan and lots of the earlier issues sold for reasonable prices. In some cases less than the current retail price, even including the shipping cost.

I've seen a few of the Lesney era issues for very fair prices, too.

The contrast in crispness between the original and current bodies in Craig's pics is obvious to my eyes. I'd seek out an older kit if I was going to build it.

If "crispness" of the mold is referring primarily to the side trim, I could easily make new trim from the Evergreen strips I already have. 
But I also think many of us who have built these over the years, have just sanded away the trim.
I have a previous version. So I may buy this new issue, IF it has wide whites. Does it?

Jon, Here is an auction showing all the rolling stock.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/AMT-1-25-1940-FORD-SEDAN-GASSER-FACTORY-LETTERED-STOCK-CUSTOM-WHEELS-TIRES/263921776327?hash=item3d72f6b6c7:g:GzcAAOSw5KdbZyJV

No Wide Whites. I'd pick up the Round2 '53 Ford P/U. It has a great set of Wide Whites, and some awesome Chrome Baby Moon Wheels.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/AMT-1-25-1953-FORD-PICKUP-TRUCK-3-N-1-WHITEWALL-WHEELS-AND-TIRES/302873615280?hash=item4684ac9bb0:g:2UwAAOSwSCZbQkfZ

2 hours ago, Jon Cole said:

If "crispness" of the mold is referring primarily to the side trim, I could easily make new trim from the Evergreen strips I already have. 
But I also think many of us who have built these over the years, have just sanded away the trim.
I have a previous version. So I may buy this new issue, IF it has wide whites. Does it?

I'm sure you could do any number of things, and if you want wide whites, you could paint them too.

The point here is if you're going to demand a premium price for a kit who's main virtues have traditionally been that it's cheap and simple,  maybe put a little effort into it.

9 minutes ago, Richard Bartrop said:

The point here is if you're going to demand a premium price

Are we at the point where $30 U.S. is a "premium price", now? :unsure:

17 hours ago, Richard Bartrop said:

That early issue one does look very nice, but it's not three figures worth of nice.

Well, you aren't obligated to buy only the original issue. If it's crisp, mostly intact beltline trim you're looking for, other issues can suffice, such as this Lesney era ('80 or so) issue:

3940Lesneybody.jpg.b435e0a8c61884e4c26f248ea388fb24.jpg

Nobody's getting $90 U.S. for a Lesney era '39/'40 Ford Sedan, and a lightly started kit liek the above example shouldn't be more than $15.00 U.S., which is reasonable, and a good value for a crisp body,  IMHO.

44 minutes ago, Casey said:

Are we at the point where $30 U.S. is a "premium price", now? :unsure:

For a 1/25 kit from a mainstream American manufacturer?  Are we at the point where it's not?

Now, I can live with the markup if I'm getting value for money.  I shelled out $50 Canadian for the Mod Rod, but that give you enough parts for two complete models, and a whole bunch of custom parts.

The recently reissued Edsel is one of AMT's nicest kits ever, on part with Moebius offerings, and they added some extra parts to boot.

Now Round 2 wants me to shell out that same amount of money for a basic kit with nothing extra, and a body that looks like a well used piece of soap.  Like I said before, not  happening.

That by your own admission, there are cheaper ways to get a better Ford sedan body just reaffirms the wisdom of this decision.

Ended up picking one of these up at HL, just because I'd never managed to snag one of the previous releases either in a store or swap meets.

Really wish Round 2 had spent their retooling money to re-engrave the trim in the hood, rather than retool that hood scoop. (did they retool anything besides that?)  However, I still got one, despite knowing that...so maybe I'm the chump?