Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 1939/1940 Ford Sedan

topher5150

What year did AMT release those kits? Sold at dealers or at stores?

not sue, someone said it was the first year of cellophane wrapping but the one I have has never had cellophane, but was sealed with two strips of tape. I would have wondered if it had been opened and resealed, but it was in a estate sale from a person who had closed their hobby shop and everything had been in storage for decades, and the tape showed its age, it was yellowing and hard as a rock, the glue was just powder when it came off.

I could never find any dates on the box or instructions, but the kit is molded in black.

• 2 years later...

Needs a bit more than AMT gave you to make a real '39 Deluxe, but it's a start. Wheels for just one example - you need the wide-5 rims from the '36 Ford, hubcaps from the original Monogram '40 Ford pickup (happy hunting) or Revell '40 Standard, and center adapters to mate the caps to the rims. Any resin outfits out there want to take a whack at a '39 detail set?

As far as I know, you also need seats with the correct pattern, the '39 dash, more trim strips on the hood, wipers that mount above the windshield, a banjo steering wheel, and a floor shift - what else?

Edited by ChrisBcritter

23 hours ago, Don Sikora II said:

The hood scoop hasn't been in any of the "recent" reissues of this kit, but think it's largely the same otherwise.

I don't think I've ever seen that scoop in the flesh, but it looks huge on the box art. :blink:

13 hours ago, alexis said:

Any Idea when it is supposed to hit the shelves?

Second quarter of 2018, I think.

On 2/13/2018 at 7:44 PM, ChrisBcritter said:

Needs a bit more than AMT gave you to make a real '39 Deluxe, but it's a start. Wheels for just one example - you need the wide-5 rims from the '36 Ford, hubcaps from the original Monogram '40 Ford pickup (happy hunting) or Revell '40 Standard, and center adapters to mate the caps to the rims. Any resin outfits out there want to take a whack at a '39 detail set?

As far as I know, you also need seats with the correct pattern, the '39 dash, more trim strips on the hood, wipers that mount above the windshield, a banjo steering wheel, and a floor shift - what else?

Bumpers (and guards) are different too. Although you may be able to modify the 40 bumpers to match. This is a 39 with 40 headlamps. Also, the Monogram 40 Ford Pickup uses the 40 Ford Standard hubcaps. Correct for a 40 PU, but not for a 39.

IMG_4393rt-vi.jpg

Edited by Dave Darby

I'm building my '40 sedan as a '39, using only the parts included in the kit. Yea, I know it's not correct. But, I'm claiming it was a Ford prototype for the '40 disgusted as a '39 to not draw much attention to it as they tested the car on the streets of Detroit back in the summer of 1939. That's my story. And I'm sticking to it. ?

Edited by unclescott58

15 minutes ago, unclescott58 said:

I'm building my '40 sedan as a '39, using only the parts  included in the kit. Yea, I know it's not correct. But, I'm claiming it was Ford prototype for the '40 disgusted as a '39 to not draw much attention to it as they tested the car on the streets of Detroit back in the summer of 1939. That's my story. And I'm sticking to it. ?

You could always make it a 40 Standard. The '39' hood actually has the correct 40 Standard trim.

20171231_125352.jpg

2 hours ago, Dave Darby said:

You could always make it a 40 Standard. The '39' hood actually has the correct 40 Standard trim.

20171231_125352.jpg

Nah. I like the overall looks of the '39. Headlamps and tail lamps, etc. But, I like the features of the 40's. Like the column shift lever and the vent windows, etc. So AMT's '39/'40 kit is perfect as far as the features I want. I can build a model that has best features of both years. I'm happy with this. Besides, if I want a Standard '40, I have Revell's '40 coupe kit for that. Even then, I will be including the right taillight on that one. My models do not always need to be exact representations of the real thing. I like them close. But, I'm willing to sometimes look the other way on minor things. 

Nice model above, by the way. 

31 minutes ago, unclescott58 said:

Nah. I like the overall looks of the '39. Headlamps and tail lamps, etc. But, I like the features of the 40's. Like the column shift lever and the vent windows, etc. So AMT's '39/'40 kit is perfect as far as the features I want. I can build a model that has best features of both years. I'm happy with this. Besides, if I want a Standard '40, I have Revell's '40 coupe kit for that. Even then, I will be including the right taillight on that one. My models do not always need to be exact representations of the real thing. I like them close. But, I'm willing to sometimes look the other way on minor things. 

Nice model above, by the way. 

Thanks. I wish the Revell kit would have been around back in 1992 when I built this one. Hood and grille are much nicer. But the AMTs are more fun.

IMG_9377rt-vi.jpg

20180103_215530-vi.jpg

• Like 1

Either way I think the '39/'40 Fords have always been very good looking cars. With the availability of the parts from this latest reissue and all of the others out there you should be able to build what ever version you want. Isn't that what this Hobby is all about ?  

On 2/16/2018 at 9:16 AM, espo said:

Either way I think the '39/'40 Fords have always been very good looking cars. With the availability of the parts from this latest reissue and all of the others out there you should be able to build what ever version you want. Isn't that what this Hobby is all about ?  

I'm up for a few more. I just wish they would re-tool the old chrome side exiting headers and Moon discs. 

1 hour ago, Dave Darby said:

I'm up for a few more. I just wish they would re-tool the old chrome side exiting headers and Moon discs. 

Their side exhaust was kind of nice but not that accurate as I recall. The Moon discs in the kit also left a bit to be desired. To give you an idea about the time I first built this kit, I would go around to the local Auto Salvage and find any "Late Model" '59 - '60 Fords looking for the Dash Knobs. I would remove the shinny metal knob centers from the plastic knob. I think these were Aluminum and I would shine them and they fit perfectly in the AMT wheels of the day and when flipped them over they looked for all the world like the Moon Discs. Most of the Moon Discs I have seen in 1/25th cover the entire wheel and actually stick out to far. The original Moons that we bought at PEP Boys or where ever fit into the wheel and the "fingers" would grip the wheel. This left the "Bead" portion of the wheel exposed much like an OEM Hub Cap of the day. I don't know if that is a good enough description of the Moon Hub Caps, but I think you can get the idea from this.  

1 hour ago, espo said:

Their side exhaust was kind of nice but not that accurate as I recall. The Moon discs in the kit also left a bit to be desired. To give you an idea about the time I first built this kit, I would go around to the local Auto Salvage and find any "Late Model" '59 - '60 Fords looking for the Dash Knobs. I would remove the shinny metal knob centers from the plastic knob. I think these were Aluminum and I would shine them and they fit perfectly in the AMT wheels of the day and when flipped them over they looked for all the world like the Moon Discs. Most of the Moon Discs I have seen in 1/25th cover the entire wheel and actually stick out to far. The original Moons that we bought at PEP Boys or where ever fit into the wheel and the "fingers" would grip the wheel. This left the "Bead" portion of the wheel exposed much like an OEM Hub Cap of the day. I don't know if that is a good enough description of the Moon Hub Caps, but I think you can get the idea from this.  

Well aware on both counts, but would still like them back. Especially since I have a 40 sedan that's missing one of the headers. As far as the Moon discs go, the ones in the sedan were almost identical to ones in the 25 T. They definitely don't stick out too far.

IMG_9028rt-vi.jpg