Model Cars Magazine Forum

Barry Setzer 1/16 "Monocoque" Dragster: On the Workbench 12/6/15

John Teresi

Doh!!   WOW John.  Let me repeat, WOW John. Before I forget, those are the most realistic seat-belts I've seen.  How'd you do them if you don't mind me asking?  The hardware in particular.  Fantastic work.  Cheers,Tim

Doh!!   WOW John.  Let me repeat, WOW John. Before I forget, those are the most realistic seat-belts I've seen.  How'd you do them if you don't mind me asking?  The hardware in particular.  Fantastic work.  Cheers,Tim

Hi Tim.......thanks Brother........I used a 1/16  "Pro Tech" 5 point seatbelt harness......I just added some bandage tape  for the belts and weathered lightly with black "Folk Art" acrylic paint that you can buy at Michaels for around 89 cents a bottle.......thanks

Hey John,

This subject is really different and so coooooll!

And of course you are just killing it!!!!  Probably have to cruise around here and see if you have a few more builds completed since I last got on here!!

Randy

Lil John Buttera

Before I get into this post I want it to be known that this is not a HIGHJACK on this most awesome build and thread.

John Teresi and I have exchanged numerous emails on Lil John Buttera and the wedge. I told John T that I had first hand knowledge of the 1:1 car and my association with Lil John as a customer that developed into a friendship.

I sent John T a email about my knowledge of the car as it came from the man himself who built the car. I suggested it would be interesting that a bit of history on Lil John and the car would be a nice Touch to the thread. 

After John T read what I sent him he thought it was awesome and he said he would love to have the information on the thread, however he asked me if I would write it to which I agreed. Thank You John T for allowing me to share some inside information on what I feel is a car that will go down as one of the most unique cars in the history of drag racings run what you brung era.

Out of respect for this thread and John Teresi. I WILL NOT answer any additional questions on the 1:1 car here! If you have any additional questions you can P.M. me.

I dedicate this entry to the late Lil John Buttera.

Lil Johns Roots in the Mid-West

When most people hear the name Lil John Buttera they think of Southern California Master Race Car Builder, The Father of Bullet, Street Rod Builder, Motorcycle Builder

Johns roots are actually in a Mid Sized town in Kenosha, WI. Where he and Dennis Roland formed R&B Race Cars in the Mid 60s. As a team they built many popular Drag Race Cars from the Midwest

John and Dennis also had a F.E.T.F car that they used as a test bed and often ran the car at their home town track Great Lakes Dragway in Union Grove, WI. With Lil dong the driving on many occasions John was actually

a very good shoe. 

THE WEDGE

A little unknown fact about lil John was his love for the INDY 500 and Indy Cars themselves. His dream was to always field a car in the INDY 500 and in 1982 his dream came true in a highly modified Stock Block Buttera/ Dan Gurney Eagle

with Dennis Firestone as the driver. That same year I was part of a rag tag crew from my home town trying to make the show in a four year old Lightning Chassis (we didn't have a chance but we had a lot of fun) I hadn't seen John in years, his garage stall was a few down from ours and one day after practice I walked down to Johns garage to get reacquainted, he invited me into their garage and offered me a beverage (we had more than one)  we sat down and did a bit of bench racing.

At some point the conversation it turned to the WEDGE as I was fascinated with the car as it got alot of ink back when it was unveiled.

The car was a stealth product of John and a partner and the concept was that of a INDY CAR Monocoque Chassis. At The time John had built a whole fleet of cars for a very wealthy business man Barry Setzer and Barry wanted a piece of the

action as this car looked like it was going be legendary with it's unconventional design.

Unfortunately the car was never a success on the track, as Lil put it, the car was to short or not long enough, the Mono design proved to be to stiff for drag racing. At the hit of the loud pedal the car typically would strike the tires as the chassis

was to stiff resulting in lack of grip off the line. Lil said the car had some very impressive trap speeds because of the wedge shape and the stiffness of the Mono design ( (Ying and Yang)  the problem was getting a clean pass from point A to point B.

The car vanished from the scene it short order as Setzer pulled the plug on the project as he thought it was going to give his race efforts a bad name.

I have seen the 1:1 car at Big Daddy's Museum in Ocala, Fla. I don't know what the wheel base is however the car looks much smaller in person than in photos.

I can only imagine what that car would run today with the slipper clutches, advancement in tire technology and track preparation.......... My Guess............ FAST

RIP Lii John Buttera

Respectfully Submitted,

Jimmy Rasmussen "RASS"

Hello.......Jimmy,I would like to thank you very much for the History about Lil` John and the History of this beautiful car.......thank you for taking the time to post this......Hope we can make Lil` John proud R.I.P Brother........ above this post is History about Lil` John and this 'Monocoque" Dragster.......thank you Jimmy.......and thank you all so very much for the kind comments.......I really do appreciate them:)........I got primer on the body and did all the body work.......and got a H.O.K. Shimirin Zenneth Gold base coat and then painted H.O..K. Kandy Apple Red.........then I airbrushed a Tamiya Lemmon Yellow  stripe ......My good friend Brad Norgaard AKA "59 Gasser" helped me with the  Barry Setzer name decal......because it had to have a slant in the name Barry Setzer........so Brad did the art work and printed them out for me.......then I used Slixx 1/16 scale F/C declas  for the rest of the decals ........I will give another clear coat then sand it all down again and give one last clear coat.......thanks for looking 

Hello.......Jimmy,I would like to thank you very much for the History about Lil` John and the History of this beautiful car.......thank you for taking the time to post this......Hope we can make Lil` John proud R.I.P Brother........ above this post is History about Lil` John and this 'Monocoque" Dragster.......thank you Jimmy.......and thank you all so very much for the kind comments.......I really do appreciate them:)........I got primer on the body and did all the body work.......and got a H.O.K. Shimirin Zenneth Gold base coat and then painted H.O..K. Kandy Apple Red.........then I airbrushed a Tamiya Lemmon Yellow  stripe ......My good friend Brad Norgaard AKA "59 Gasser" helped me with the  Barry Setzer name decal......because it had to have a slant in the name Barry Setzer........so Brad did the art work and printed them out for me.......then I used Slixx 1/16 scale F/C declas  for the rest of the decals ........I will give another clear coat then sand it all down again and give one last clear coat.......thanks for looking 

DSCF0937_zpsemuw2iwq.jpg

DSCF0942_zps9oxcwg1y.jpg

DSCF0935_zpsotg8uhwn.jpg

DSCF0933_zps800uahi4.jpg

DSCF0944_zpsswyvdzng.jpg

DSCF0953_zpsj2n8wqjv.jpg

John, It was my pleasure............Lil would be very proud of such a fine tribute

Brother........ I know John is shining down on this one!

Peace,

Jimmy "RASS"