Model Cars Magazine Forum

First look - Production version Moebius 65 Plymouth Belvedere Sedan

SteveG

Here's a quick look at the 65 Plymouth Belvedere Production contents that I just got. Look for the kit to be available in about 4 weeks from now.

IMG_0067-vi.jpg

These photos were taken with my iPad, some are not by best work but it was handy for today.  The body is highly polished, even smoother then the Satellite. 

IMG_0075-vi.jpg

Here's the chrome tree with multiple wheel options.  Note the Hemi valve cover for a later version. 

IMG_0090-vi.jpg

Here's the new seats and the Super stock style exhaust pipes  ....

IMG_0083-vi.jpg

And here's the steel wheels that go with the dog dish hub caps  ....

IMG_0099-vi.jpg

Here's the big and little street radials ....

IMG_0102-vi.jpg

The decal sheet ....

IMG_0107-vi.jpg

These are just the highlight of the kit, the full photos are on my Fotki page, just follow the link below.

http://public.fotki.com/SteveG26/moebius-projects/page2.html

-Steve

Thanks for the update, looks like it's going to be a great kit....Steve is Carney's still around in Brunswick. I used to live in Strongsville for a few years and always had a good time there on the weekend car gathering

Yes, it's not called Carney's anymore but it still there at the same place.  I go there from time to time.  

I think it's a great kit and Moebius has more coming based on this tooling.  I'm betting they'll get more versions out of this one then the Ford Pickup.

-Steve 

Curious that the Box Art is for a Family Sedan, while the kit is FAR from that

They should Change that to better reflect the LACK of Stock Family Sedan

build Option!!!!!

I Hope for a Stock version to follow, as Tires, etc are Garbage to me!!!!!

And Yes, I would Like to convert to 4dr, and LAPD!!

A few 65 Belvedere Black & Whites are seen in early seasons of Adam-12

And I believe are Correct for LAPD!!

Curious that the Box Art is for a Family Sedan, while the kit is FAR from that

They should Change that to better reflect the LACK of Stock Family Sedan

build Option!!!!!

I Hope for a Stock version to follow, as Tires, etc are Garbage to me!!!!!

And Yes, I would Like to convert to 4dr, and LAPD!!

A few 65 Belvedere Black & Whites are seen in early seasons of Adam-12

And I believe are Correct for LAPD!!

My uncle is a retired L.A.S.D. Deputy (1962-1984) . His first post was at the East L.A. Station ; that's when LASD and LAPD had jurisdiction over local freeways / expressways . The pursuit vehicle was a 426 Wedge powered Belvedere 2 door ( "Scary quick and fast ... just don't ask the car stop stop again  after a 100 mph stop !" ) that was used on the Long Beach Freeway (which was incomplete at the time , terminating south of US 101 Santa Ana Freeway) .
Not sure how many 4 door models that the Sheriff's Dept employed in the 60's . Apparently most of them were 225 sixes with 3-speed manual on the column , with some 273 / Torqueflite models .

There was an "Economy" trim level , too . I've seen exactly 2 in all my salvage yard travels ; one was a 2 door , the other a wagon . These were absolute bare-bones models ; rubber mats , park bench seats , no amenities ! The V.I.N.'s 2nd character is an "E" , as in "Economy" ( e.g. , "PE45D51" ) . I don't recall whether or not the 2 door that I saw had a back seat ; perhaps that was an option ?

I suspect this version is as "stock" of a Belvedere I as we'll see from Moebius. The small valve covers, the round air cleaner, and dog dishes tell me this car maybe built close to something one could find somewhat regularly on Plymouth's show floors at the time. I'm not keen on the exhaust setup for a regular showroom stock automobile. Or the bucket seats. But, both were available from the factory for the car.

Again, for something I would have been interested for "regular" use, the Satellite more fits the bill for something I would have looked for in a real Plymouth Belvedere at my Plymouth dealer back in 1965. Other than the racing crowd, I don't think too many people were interested in a 2-door Belvedere Is with a 426 wedge and buckets. And doubt many modelers today plan on building this kit as a stock, showroom, non racing Belvedere either.

But, the box art does depict a showroom stock Belvedere I. A family version, rather than a racing model. Why Moebius has chosen to depict the car this way on the front of their box, without the bench seat and regular exhaust in the box, I do not understand. This maybe one of their few mistakes.