Model Cars Magazine Forum

`67 Camaro RS/SS NICKEY-Revell

69NovaYenko

I used a Duplicolor paint for a Tahoe Turquoise 67 Camaro I'm working on.  It isn't listed as Tahoe Turquoise on the can, just seemed to be a close match in my mind.  I remember looking at a couple lighter turquoise colors that reminded me more of emerald turquoise, so if the MCW stuff is hard to get or you don't have an airbrush and have to use rattle cans like me, you can find a close Duplicolor paint.  This is my Camaro body:

67_Camaro_9.thumb.jpg.a815dec9c4e05a6da5

There were some colors back in the 90's that were close, I do remember Chevy had the Beretta Pace Car that was close to the Emerald Turquoise. While I would like to get a perfect match, it is more for my shelf than anything else.

I will hit up the local Auto Zone and Advance tomorrow to see what they have. I will also check the Duplicolor website to see what they might have that can be ordered.

Thanks!

There were some colors back in the 90's that were close, I do remember Chevy had the Beretta Pace Car that was close to the Emerald Turquoise. While I would like to get a perfect match, it is more for my shelf than anything else.

Thanks!

I remember that color. I think it was available on Berettas and Corvettes in, what, '92? I did a Beretta in that color. But it's definitely more green than '67 Emerald Tuquoise.

Emerald

http://www.69pace.com/paint1967emeraldturquoise.htm

Tripoli

http://www.69pace.com/paint1968tripoliturquoise.htm

Depending on light it is extremely hard to see any diffrence. In my eyes that is.

'67 Emerald and '68 Tripoli Turquoises are very close. They might even be the same color, I'd have to check the paint codes.

'67 Tahoe Turquoise is darker and not likely to be mistaken for either of them. The reason I asked about it was that in '66 or '65 Ford also had a Tahoe Turquoise color that was much closer to Chevy's Emerald or Tripoli Turquoises. I've heard people say "Tahoe Turquoise" when they meant the lighter color. Just making sure we're all on the same page. B)

'67 Emerald and '68 Tripoli Turquoises are very close. They might even be the same color, I'd have to check the paint codes.

'67 Tahoe Turquoise is darker and not likely to be mistaken for either of them. The reason I asked about it was that in '66 or '65 Ford also had a Tahoe Turquoise color that was much closer to Chevy's Emerald or Tripoli Turquoises. I've heard people say "Tahoe Turquoise" when they meant the lighter color. Just making sure we're all on the same page. B)

Emerld Turquoise and Tripoli Turquoise are different. Tripoli is a bit more teal colored.

Emerald and Tripoli are different, but it is hard to tell unless you see them next to each other.  They are both pretty stunning.

Just curious for the Camaro fans - what level of interest is there for Revell to do a convert based on the '67

Options might be:

Pace car.

6 cyl with flat hood and steelies and drum brakes.

Just curious for the Camaro fans - what level of interest is there for Revell to do a convert based on the '67

Options might be:

Pace car.

6 cyl with flat hood and steelies and drum brakes.

None whatsoever here--unless they fix the glaring body problems.

I have a couple of beautiful resin 67 Camaro bodies from Greg Wann and aren't really in need of more, but would definitely be buying at least one, depending on the options.

If Revell does decide to do a 67 Camaro Convertible, I know where a perfect 67 Pace Car is at for them to measure.

• 2 weeks later...

Last week, while in route home, my LHS rang my cell and told me that the Revell `67 Nickey Camaro RS/SS 427 kit I had per-ordered had arrived. As luck would have it I was 1/8 of a mile away from the shop so I immediately set a new a heading and went directly there.  I walked in and it was setting on the counter waiting for my arrival. I was going to grab a couple of them but I was told this was a preliminary shipment and they had received only one but; there were additional kits arriving in about a five to sevens days.  Just need to finish the current project on the work bench before I start on this gem.

Edited by 69NovaYenko

Last week while in route home my LHS rang my cell and told me that the Revell `67 Nickey Camaro RS/SS 427 kit I had per-ordered had arrived. As luck would have it I was 1/8 of a mile away from the shop so I immediately set a new a heading and detoured by there.  I walked in and it was setting on the counter waiting for my arrival. I was going to grab a couple of them but I was told this was a preliminary shipment and they had received only one but; there were additional kits arriving in about a five to sevens days.  Just need to finish the current project on the work bench before I start on this gem.

How does this version of the kit differ from the original release?

How does this version of the kit differ from the original release?

While I have only cracked the lid open and took a quick peek inside I have not dug deeply into the Nckey kit as of yet; but here is my quick glance overview:

The `67 Camaro "Nickey" kit has a number of differences from the original "stock" version of the Revell kit. The intake of the Nickey is a dual carb setup v.s. the single carb setup found in the stock version.  The Nickey has headers that transition into a dual exhaust pipes and mufflers v.s. O.E.M. exhaust set up in the stock version.  The front/ back seats and interior door panels replicate the optional "deluxe" interior package with the correct patterns v.s. the base stock front/ back seats and interior door panels found in the stock version.The Nickey kit has left and right solid red break/turn signal lenses ( Rally Sport have their white backup signal lenses mounted in the rear valance) v.s. the split taillight lens (red brake signal /white backup signal) found on the SS version of the car. Note: The Nickey kit does have the correct Rally Sport white backup signal lights mounted in the rear valance as well as the correct white turn signal lights mounted in the front valance. The Nickey kit also includes "slapper" style rear traction bars. The Nickey kit has only one wheel option v.s. the stock Astro wheels and aftermarket road racing style Mini-Lites found in the stock kit. But man oh man the wheels they did include are  bitching, they are   American Racing Torque D`s series mags with "knock off" center caps. I have not seen knockoff center caps in a kit since the Revell `67 Vette coupe/roadster kit; and that was kitted a very long time ago. Of course the Nickey kit includes the stinger hood and Rally Sport grill. 

Additionally, the Nickey decal sheet includes includes full side body O.E.M.  pin strips in red, white and black (which was an dealer offered option) as well as bumble bee nose strips in red, white and black. The stock kit only has the bumble bee nose strips (on pin strips) and they only come in black and white. As well, the sheet includes all the expected 427 call outs and Nickey badging.

In spite of the short coming others have pointed out about this kit Revell did get a lot of things right with both the stock SS and Nickey RS kits. Certainly, a far better kit than the old AMT rendition of this first year generation year one classic IMHO. Between the two kits with a bit of parts swooping (and the parts will directly swoop)  and a very small handful of aftermarket stuff  there is the potential for one to build a wide variety of different versions (Stock/SCCA Trans-Am/Drag/Street Machine/Pro-Touring etc.) of  the `67 Camaro; again IMHO.  Hope this helps.

P.S. The chrome on both kit is very nice but be warned if you wish to remove it from any of the parts it clings tenaciously to the parts (I speak from experience the kit I presently have on my work bench is the stock `67 Camaro Revell kit).

Edited by 69NovaYenko

While I have only cracked the lid open and took a quick peek inside I have not dug deeply into the Nckey kit as of yet; but here is my quick glance overview:

The `67 Camaro "Nickey" kit has a number of differences form the original "stock" version of the Revell kit. The intake of the Nickey is a dual carb setup v.s. the single carb setup found in the stock version.  The Nickey has headers that transition into a dual exhaust pipe/muffler setup v.s. O.E.M. exhaust set up in the stock version.  The front/ back seats and interior door panels replicate the optional "deluxe" interior package with the correct patterns v.s. the base stock seats found in the stock version.The Nickey kit has left and right solid red break/turn signal lenses ( Rally Sport have their white backup signal lenses mounted in the rear valance) v.s. the split taillight lens (red brake signal /white backup signal) found on the SS version of the car. Note: The Nickey kit does have the correct Rally Sport white backup signal lights mounted in the rear valance as well as the correct white turn signal lights mounted in the front valance. The Nickey kit also includes "slapper" style rear traction bars. The Nickey kit has only one wheel option v.vs the stock Astros and road racing style Mini-Lites found in the stock kit but man oh man the wheels they did include are  the  American Racing Torque D`s series mags with "knock off" center caps. I have not seen knockoff center caps in a kit since the Revell `67 Vette coupe/roadster kit; and that was a long time ago. Of course the Nickey kit includes the stinger hood and Rally Sport grill. 

Additionally, the Nickey decal sheet includes includes full side body O.E.M.  pin strips in red, white and black (which was an dealers offered option) as well as bumble bee nose strips in red, white and black. As well, the sheet includes all the expected 427 call outs and Nickey badging. The stock kit only has the bumble bee nose strips and they only come in black and white.

Hope this helps.

The chrome on both kit is very nice but be warned if you wish to remove it form any of the parts it clings tenaciously to the parts (I speak from experience the kit I presently have on my work bench is the stock `67 Camaro Revell kit).

Thank you for all the great information Greg.  I assume they made no corrections/adjustment to the body shape.

To my untrained eyess the bodies appear to be the same however, sadl;y  I do not have the discerning eye that some of the other forum members have.

That means they probably didn't fix the much too sloping taillight panel, and the new grille more than likely matches the incorrect contours of the front fenders. :(

Gee, do you rivet counters go around popping little kids balloons at birthday parties? Lol. I'm just glad the model companies give us brand new kits to build, even with some of the errors. In light of our hobby declining (especially among younger people),its a welcome addition to all of our growing stashes. :)

Gee, do you rivet counters go around popping little kids balloons at birthday parties? Lol. I'm just glad the model companies give us brand new kits to build, even with some of the errors. In light of our hobby declining (especially among younger people),its a welcome addition to all of our growing stashes. :)

Not that same tired argument again...barf.  The 'rainbows and unicorns' crowd (the other side of the coin from the 'rivet counters') can't accept any criticism and blindly accept mediocrity.

Edited by Rob Hall