Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Got my first real model dedicated bench!

Hey all, this is no big deal really, but I finally have a bench(massive desk) specifically for my model cars!

First time ever, well, except fo the piece of chip(particle) board on saw horses that I had as a teen.

I will when money allows build a set of shelves out of wood I have laying around, because this desk is so deep I can get some pretty good storage going on atop the desk, not too mention the 5 drawers, I have just got a stereo and lamp for $10!, which I pick up in a few days.

image.jpeg

Edited by JustanotherKiwi

Thanks for the replies guys, I could have got a smaller desk in our last house but it was small, 3 adults a 7 yr old boy and a dog meant space was tight, I did not feel I could use what little space we had at the time.

Our new place has a spare room, which I have this bench in and my wife has a sewing table, and my son a drawing desk, ready for some family hobby time. My son is a fan of the movie Cars, so we are going to build Doc Hudson out of Moebuis's Hudson.

Thanks for the replies guys, it sure is good to have a dedicated space that I don't need to worry about, being able to glue up something and then leave it to set is the biggest advantage.

I was left this desk by a friend, and just had another given to me by another friend that is slightly smaller which may work better as this current desk is very deep (1metre in fact!, it is 1.5 metres wide, width is good) so reaching for something at the back is impossible without standing, it is almost like this should have been a partner desk.

I need more light and will sort that in a few days, then start building up my paint stores again, need glue too. It feels pretty good to set up and get going, having a few projects on the go at the same time works for me, not everyone's taste though.

IMG 2640

Here's my workbench. It's an old door covered with brown paper. It's 24" wide x 7'-0" long. It sits on two old night stands that I cut the legs to get the surface to the correct height.  The shelves above are just planks that I stained. Nothing expensive here!  The chair is a Knoll professional unit with adjustable arms. 

Paul, great looking desk. i have a 3 foot deep and 6 foot wide table, only space to actually work on it is on top of my cutting mat, lol.  looks like you have a good start on covering it with your work:D

congrat's on getting a desk and a room to work in.

Tom Geiger, I really like your bench, this was the route I was going to go, then I got given this desk, win win.

Cheap is good when it comes to benches, fortunately mine is pretty solid!

Tom Billings, Thanks for the reply, I am playing catch up after having my models away for a couple of years.

If you put storage and the back of the desk make  sure you can get to the shelves without having to move everything off of the desk top. Like a raised shelf up say 6 inches or so ( a little taller than a model box) but make sure that the lower part has a back so stuff will not roll to the back of the desk and out of site forever. I like the deep desk because it gives you room for parts and tool storage in the back. 

My desk is a much smaller desk ( one my father picked up from the side of the road)with a piece of counter top sitting on it. The back splash has saved me a few times from rolling parts. 

I'm liking what you have there!!!!!

My workbench is an old hollow core door with the legs you can get at menards for a workbench. I just cut the legs off to bring it closer to the ground and cut the upright parts off for where the peg board would mount to....

Here is what I have for shelving on it... Just peices of wood cut and screwed together...

Like several here on the site, I'm "bench-less" at the moment, doing all of my work on the dining room table for now. Over the summer however, I'll be building an 8'x12' L-shaped bench, complete with lots of shelving/storage, and incorporating an integral paint booth. General lighting by overhead can lights, task lighting by swing arm lamps. I'm very much looking forward to finishing it.

Looks like a great desk for modelling and like the old saying of work expanding ........I guarantee that it will not be long before you are wishing that the big desk was even bigger. Get some bracket shelves up on the wall in front of you for more storage, get a piece of glass or something else on the top of the desk to provide a non wood work surface (I use heavy glass which is so easy to clean up),  and a goose neck lamp to provide more direct light and your own little modelling world will be complete.

• 6 months later...

Hi all, I have a change in Desks in my area of the family hobby room, my Desk pictured in my first post was just too deep, it took up a lot of space in the room too, and as I share it with my wife I wanted something smaller. I got what looks to be an old Teachers desk the other day which I am really liking thus far, I also finally got an angle poise lamp that is fantastic for lighting, at night I do not need any other lights on, which is good as I got an energy saving bulb.

image.jpeg

Edited by JustanotherKiwi