Model Cars Magazine Forum

Rat Rod for NNL West 2016 - Completed and Under Glass

Bernard Kron

The NNL West this year is on March 12th and one of the two theme tables will feature Rat Rods. That means this project needs to be completed within the next 4 weeks, so I’m trying to keep it simple. Of course almost everything about it is either kit bashed or scratch built, but much of the more challenging stuff has already progressed a bit so I think I’ve got a shot at it. Anyway, it’s virtually a tradition with me to have a last minute thrash to get something done for the NNL West each year.

The basis for the build is the modified Ala Kart body included in the later series re-issues of the AMT ’29 Ford Model A roadster kits. This body lacks the hump in the middle of the cowl included in the genuine Ala Kart shell, so it can pass for a kind of cross between a Model A RPU and a T-bucket. I suspect this will be the shell you’ll find in the upcoming Mod Rod re-release from Round 2, as well. I’ll use the Ala Kart windshield and dashboard, too. This is the kit I got the parts from:

amt-1929-ford-model-a-roadster.jpg

The only other source kit used to any degree is the AMT ’34 Ford 5-window coupe kit, which provided the Kelsey Hayes style wire wheels and the skinny front tires, as well as the rear axle. The rear tires are from the Revell ‘40 Ford Standard kit, adapted to fit the AMT wires. The front axle is from a Monogram ’37 Ford Panel Delivery Van, heated at both ends to create a dropped axle. Otherwise most all the other parts will come from the proverbial parts box, which is to say their origin remains somewhat vague. This includes the rear cross member and buggy spring and the eventual motor for the car which will be a nearly stock small block Chevy with plain stock valve covers, a single four barrel carb and basic air filter, with only a set of resin lakes-style exhausts sourced off of eBay, to hint at any hop up.

The door decals are homemade and the white lettering was achieved by printing to white decal paper on a purple background to match the purple Krylon paint on the body shell. The main body was weathered using weathering powders and Testors DullCote.

The chassis is scratch built with an AMT Ala Kart cross member and ’29 Ford rear cross member. I scratch built a gas tank out of styrene stock sanded to shape. The back of the tank is curved to conform to the shape of the main body. It will be painted body color with weathered chrome straps across the ends and towards the middle. The wheels and frame will most likely be finished in weathered matte metallic rust red.

Below are pictures of where I’m at so far. Updates should come thick and fast since time is tight.

Thanx for lookin’,
B.

DSCF4473-web_zpszepcla1a.jpg
DSCF4476-web_zps0lksbynl.jpg
DSCF4479-web_zpsfntxfrkm.jpg
DSCF4478-web_zpssj9jz4fy.jpg
DSCF4484-web_zpsbxudppa9.jpg
hippie-eye-chop-shop-decal-final-web_zps

Edited by Bernard Kron

Thanks guys! I did a weathering dry run on some scrap to test the look of the red chassis and wheels and it came out OK. I'll try and post wheels and frame in the next coupla days.

...I talked to Rex Barden at the Sacramento Autorama, and he said that Ed Sexton from Revell-Monogram was going to be there with a display of new kits.

Vince, that's great news. I always wondered why they only showed there stuff in the East and hadn't found a way to participate in the Western shows. I'll be sure to spread the word since I'm certain there'll be modelers who'll want to come to check it out.

I always look forward seeing you guys each year. Glad to see you back, Scott!

The clock is ticking for NNL West but progress is being made. Most major parts constructed so far have been painted and weathered. The motor is built except for some small details like ignition and fuel system. The chassis was finished in Testors Gloss Custom Red Metalflake enamel and then weathered with Testors Dullcote and rust and dirt weathering powders. The fuel tank was finished in the same manner as the body, using the salting technique over red primer, then a coat of Krylon Gumdrop purple and Testors DullCote followed by weathering powders. The motor came from my parts box. It is a largely stock Chevy small block finished in Chevy Engine Orange. The 4-barrel carb is from a Revell Deuce kit, the air cleaner from my parts box and the headers are resin items purchased from the eBay Sci Fi Movie Props. They are very high quality and were delivered quickly. Highly recommended. I drilled out the ends and finished the headers in Krylon Premium Chrome, then gave them the Dullcote and weathering powder treatment. I used this technique on all “plated” parts, first stripping any kit chrome where there was some. The firewall, windshield and dash are Ala Kart pieces from the AMT ’29 Ford donor kit. The firewall was finished to match the frame and the windshield and dash received the same weathered chrome finish as the headers. The wheels were finished in the same manner as the frame and the tires weathered along with the wheels.

The major work left to do consists of completing and installing the suspension, wiring, detailing and installing the motor, chopping, painting and installing a ’32 Ford Grill, fabricating an interior and adding lights. So, still quite a bit to do but I think I have a shot at making my self-imposed deadline.

Thanks for lookin’,
B.

Thanks everyone! I think Gene may be thinking of crazryrichard who really excels at this weathered rod thing.

...I'm always amazed that you can get this far on a build before, say, chopping the grille shell.

I'm a pretty improvisational builder. I sketch out the broad strokes in my mind, mainly things like proportions, theme, color, texture, etc. and the major technical stuff, like the chassis layout and, in this case, the weathering. That's why the first thing I did after choosing a body was to prep and paint it, to see if reality matched the theory. But something like chopping the grille shell is not something I'd do until I had the motor and body in at least mockup form, because the amount I cut it down will be determined by the relationship between the motor and the cowl. It's not particularly challenging - I'm just cutting off the lower part - and I'm using spare Deuce shells from the parts box so it's not like I'm using a high-value aftermarket part. It'll get painted to match the body and tank. Really, getting some consistency in the coloring and weathering was my biggest worry, but so far so good... The weathered chrome thing is a real keeper, BTW. I'm planning on using it in more conventional projects when its appropriate.

I’m on the home stretch! I got the chassis completed including the suspension, drivetrain and the radiator and grill. I made a bench seat for the interior and a bare metal floor (actually styrene sheet finished in Metalizers, steel for the undercarriage side and gunmetal for the interior side). The seat was made from styrene quarter round and styrene corrugated siding sheet. The seat is finished in Testors British Crimson and weathered to look like distressed leather. The grille shell is cut down to about half size and comes from an AMT Phantom Vicky kit. All that’s left is the lighting system, a steering wheel and the steering linkage, some windshield glass and a shift lever. I should have final assembly done sometime this week. I think this car will actually make it to the NNL West.

Thanx for lookin’,
B.

Very cool! I'm looking forward to upcoming updates!

Thanx! To quote myself above (LOL):

This project is completed and will make it to the NNL West 2016! Thanx to all for .following along! The Under Glass post with lotys of pictures of the finished product can be found here: http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/111423-29-ford-a-bucket-rat-rod/ .

Have a look!

Edited by Bernard Kron