Model Cars Magazine Forum

Murphy's Law As Applied To Modeling

There are some Murphy's Laws when it comes to model building. The most obvious involves the mutual attraction between carpeting and tiny parts. A corollary to that is that the more important the part is, the more likely you are to drop it. My personal ones ?                                                                                                                            1.  No matter how good the body looks in primer, once I spray the color coat, I will find a mold line that I missed. 2. If the final color coat turns out, the clear coat will cause any speck of dust or loose hair in a 10 mile radius to materialize and stick. 3. If the paint and the clear coat turn out well, I will decide I don't like the color after all. 4. The model that was available a month ago I didn't know wanted. Now that I want it, it is out of production and only available on eBay for a whole lot.                        Any others?

If you've wanted a particular make and model for some time, and go to some effort to scratchbuild or create one by elaborate, expensive conversion, a new kit of that subject will be announced within  60 days.

If you are building a detailed, exact replica of some famous car, and can't find some obscure but important color or construction detail, take your best guess and drive on. Within a week after you finish the model, someone will post photos showing you did it wrong.

Edited by Snake45

Two seconds after you apply the CA glue to that small part, the butter oozes out of your fingertips and you drop the part. The likelihood of this increases in direct proportion to either a): how small the part is, or b): how close to a painted surface/clear plastic you are...

Do a ton of bodywork or mods and have the paint react badly with the filler and have to start all over again.

You finally find much needed old parts to a restoration and there shipped to the neighbors house even though they have the right address on the package...in the meantime their kids destroy the old parts.

If you've wanted a particular make and model for some time, and go to some effort to scratchbuild or create one by elaborate, expensive conversion, a new kit of that subject will be announced within  60 days.

If you are building a detailed, exact replica of some famous car, and can't find some obscure but important color or construction detail, take your best guess and drive on. Within a week after you finish the model, someone will post photos showing you did it wrong.

Oh man, can I relate. I'll plead, beg and grovel for assistance, then when none is offered, will proceed with whatever information I do have. Then, after spending hours and hours doing the best I can, some genius will come along and tell me "nope, all wrong; you certainly blew it there, Williams, nice try anyway though".

The 3rd clear coat that finally brings the Orange to the surface...

or

After 4 stripncoats You finish a beauty , and put it somewhere stupid,..like under a halogen lamp..(don't ask me how I know)

After getting some gauge decals to settle down into the dashboard,....the clear drop of Kristal Kleer,...doesn't dry clear:blink:

Stop Me

Try to superglue a part and it will stick to anyplace than where you want it. You spends hours scratchbuilding a part, and put it in a safe place to use it but when you look for it it hss disappeared.You make anothrr part and the first one mysteriouly reappers.

Happens all of the time, doesn't it?

It's inevitable that after spending hours searching for that "lost" part or whatever, it will turn up the instant it is no longer needed.

Steve

You carefully detail paint some trim on a model, then as you put the cap on the bottle of paint, the cap breaks and the paint spills on your model :( Today...about an hour ago :( However, I was wearing a giant horseshoe and was able to wash the paint off with Super Clean, a toothbrush and that horseshoe :) Wow, I broke even :) 

As for scratch-building a model...way back in the late 60s my friend and I got together to build a model of the new Daytona, based on some prototype photos. We thought the slick nose and high wing were wild, so we got together and scratchbuilt the car. We brought it to a local hobby shop for a contest only to find a kit in the 'new' listing...dirty rats :( 

You can own 1200 kits but your next great idea will involve kits that you don't have.

Yep. Or if I'm planning a 1/25-ish diorama, it will certainly involve figures I don't have and can't find. Which means I end up hacking apart little people. Usually ending with the ruination of some of the few figures I do have.

I grab in-scale figures whenever I can and have hoarded some for years. But as we've seen before in these forums, there ain't a lot of them.

Most resin 1/25 figures, IMO, are pretty bland. Except for female 1/25 figures, who look like a high-school boy's fantasy.  With their toothpick legs and massive breastworks, if scaled up to human size they would fall on their (bland) faces.

Of course, there are thousands of great figures available in 1/35 & 1/32 scale. I've wished for years that some company would do a set of 1/25 figures like the old Airfix 1/32 "Multi-Pose" kits.

IMO, the best figures come from the German company Preiser.  That's because Preiser models its figures on real live human beings. Their "Adam" and "Eve" sets are academy (nude) figures of men and women. Available in 1/24, 1/22.5 G scale, and 1/32.  You have to add your own clothes with epoxy putty or some kind of similar sorcery.

But in keeping with the theme of this thread...Preiser figures are expensive and can be hard to find in the USA.

Parts that have been carefully dry fitted will alter their dimensions as soon as glue is applied.

Carl

This is so true.

Also, the likelihood a kit gets reissued is directly proportional to the amount you just shelled out for a vintage original.

For me, it's usually that a build that I start with the intention of working straight-through with minimal re-engineering and modification will invariably snowball out of control requiring much research, additional parts-sourcing, and a plethora of necessary modifications I overlooked on the way in.