Model Cars Magazine Forum

'68 Dodge Charger; interior work

Roadrunner

Kevin, everything is looking great so far! As far as polishing out paints, I use nothing but Chamois cloths when handling and polishing out paint jobs. Chamois is nothing more than cow's skin, and I don't think you can get any softer than that. If you seen the thread on my '59 Impala WIP, that's what the paint was polished out with, and I'm doing the same with the BMW build I'm doing.

I've tried using cotton cloths, flannel shirts, and other such things years ago, but there were always still swirls and scratches in the paint. Another tip, and you may already know this one is that when you're rubbing out the paint with the polishing cloths-------make sure that you're working the cloths in one direction. You don't want to use a circular motion with the cloths as that can make for trouble later on. 

Keep up the fantastic work-----------lookin' really nice! B)

Edited by MrObsessive

As far as polishing out paints, I use nothing but Chamois cloths when handling and polishing out paint jobs. Chamois is nothing more than cow's skin, and I don't think you can get any softer than that. If you seen the thread on my '59 Impala WIP, that's what the paint was polished out with, and I'm doing the same with the BMW build I'm doing.

I've tried using cotton cloths, flannel shirts, and other such things years ago, but there were always still swirls and scratches in the paint. Another tip, and you may already know this one is that when you're rubbing out the paint with the polishing cloths-------make sure that you're working the cloths in one direction. You don't want to use a circular motion with the cloths as that can make for trouble later on. 

Bill: Now that.............is something I'll be using there Bill! Thanks for posting that because I was just about to just accept the fact that swirls and small scratches were the norm when polishing. I'll be heading down to the auto parts store pretty quick to get one of these bad boys.

Kevin:This is killer!!  I really like what you're doing with the interior. Can't wait to see more.

Bill: Now that.............is something I'll be using there Bill! Thanks for posting that because I was just about to just accept the fact that swirls and small scratches were the norm when polishing. I'll be heading down to the auto parts store pretty quick to get one of these bad boys.

Kevin:This is killer!!  I really like what you're doing with the interior. Can't wait to see more.

Thanks for the input, fellas. The chamois is a pretty cool idea, I may just have to give that a whirl. I actually bought some cheesecloth too to use for polishing, but haven't tried it yet. I'm also considering searching for a clear coat that dries a little harder.

Using an old T-shirt dampened with saliva, I manage to buff off most (but not quite all), of the acrylic black. This was followed with some very delicate dry brushing with chrome silver. The way the part was molded, there are two ribs that are lower than the others, so I'll still have to figure out how to deal with those, perhaps scraping with a toothpick. In the meanwhile, I think it looks pretty cool, better than I had anticipated anyway.

That grille looks perfect! Beautiful work... B)

Thanks very much, Harry. Once I can get the two remaining vertical bars done, I think it'll look pretty cool. (You know, in retrospect, those areas are the edges of where the headlight covers are, so perhaps that was done on purpose?)

I agree with Harry Kevin, the grill looks perfect. Your interior is looking great also...

Thanks very much. I have to admit, I was sort of shocked that it came out as nice as it did. I still have to add the red wash to the R/T portion of the emblem, but I don't anticipate any real problems there (fingers crossed).

Looks like everything is going nicely Kevin. Can't wait to see the final assembly.

Me too. This one may just end up looking the way I want. I probably shouldn't set the bar as high as I do for myself, but I have a certain minimum standard that I've established for my stuff, and strive desperately to attain that. I know I won't even begin to approach the very high quality I sometimes see here, but if I can at least meet my own needs for appearance, that'll be good enough, at least for now.

That grille looks INCREDIBLE!!! Well done!

Thanks a bunch, Maxx. Well I'm slowly plugging away on the interior, with almost everything coated now with semi-gloss clear. The washes to follow, should improve things considerably (I hope).

Edited by Roadrunner