Model Cars Magazine Forum

Favorite Fast Food

Taco Bell (should have bought stock); Krystal (about the same as White Castle); Steak 'n Shake; McD's extra greasy breakfast steak and cheese bagel. 

I'll only eat fast food once a week on average, actually eat home-cooked healthful stuff mostly...just too much of it.  :D

We have a couple of good Indian places, but they're not really take-away, and certainly not "fast".

Although similar, donairs and gyros are not the same thing. 

You can get them with Tzatziki sauce but usually with donair sauce which is sweeter and loaded with garlic. Also donairs are made with ground beef, the others are usually lamb.

I'll second Five Guys.   When I want a satisfying burger I go to the local Five Guys.  The main burger is two hand made patties that have never been frozen, and I get the bacon cheeseburger version.  They have a list of MANY toppings, all included.  You just run down the list.  I get mine with fried onions, peppers and mushrooms.

Their fries are cut fresh right in the store. The bags of fresh potatoes line the wall. They have a sign that tells you what farm the potatoes came from that day.  If you go with a friend, only order ONE large order of fries. They put your burgers in the sack, then fill the sack with fries!  More than enough for a family!  

For two burgers, one large fry and two drinks you'll spend $20 but worth every cent!  And you have to eat it in the store for best results Skip!   

In NJ there is a small chain called Kennedy Fried Chicken.  There are two outlets in Perth Amboy right near our Tri-State Scale Model Car Club meeting.   The chicken is probably the best pressure cooked chicken we've had.  We always get a mess of it for every meeting, and members get some to take home too!

That's why I mostly eat in the store.

I know. If they're made with lamb, they taste just like gyros. I had donairs in a place called Afghan Kabob & Donair in Saskatoon the last time I visited my aunt. This place makes them with beef, lamb or chicken.

Edited by SfanGoch

I go to a place called Ali's Trinidad Roti Shop. Their conch curry and goat curry rotis are great, especially with a load of Scotch Bonnet pepper sauce. It's a hole-in-the-wall; but, the service is fast and the food is great.

DoublesQuest___v1_22_-_Version_2_thumb.j

Joe, I'm tell'n ya, the ones we have here are not the same as anywhere else in the world.  If you're not from here you just won't get it. Ask any transplanted Maritimer . LOL

You'll just have to take my word on this one. ;)

Joe, I'm tell'n ya, the ones we have here are not the same as anywhere else in the world.  If you're not from here you just won't get it. Ask any transplanted Maritimer . LOL

You'll just have to take my word on this one. ;)

I believe you, Steve. I'm sending you money and you can cold pak them to me. :D 

Don't care for Five Guys. First, you can get your burger only one way - well done. Second, the burgers are really scrawny. One time I ordered myself a bacon cheeseburger ($7.99 around here) for myself and a little bacon cheeseburger ($5.99) plus fries for my then little son. Waited thirty minutes to get my order and there were only four customers in the place. I couldn't tell which burger was the regular or little because they both were the same size - tiny. Same deal with a joint called Shake Shack. Really small, overcooked and overpriced burgers and grease soaked fries. I'll stick to the Greek diners. They know from 8 oz. burgers, grilled to order, and crispy fries which aren't infused with excessive amounts of 10W-40 .

There's a small up and coming chain in the DC area called Elevation Burgers that I really like. Their cheese and milkshakes are superb. For burgers, it's a toss-up between them and a single restaurant in Front Royal, VA called Spelunker's.

Jersey Mike's is my choice for subs - I love their bread. I like the macaroni and cheese pizza at Cici's, too.

There's still a few Roy Rogers left in the DC area. I rarely eat there, thought

Rich, are there any good real pizza places out by you? I felt like I was in the Twilight Zone when I was stationed in Ft. Campbell, KY. No strombolis, hippie rolls, no pizza with anchovies. Primitive, man, just primitive. :D 

We found a local Italian place that makes a pretty good New York style pizza and they'll put anything on it that you want.  It's called Montecello's.  They make a good white pizza with ricotta cheese, and their Lasagna is very good too.... Plus, they deliver and we're regular customers.

I wish the Heart Attack Grill had a NYC location. The Quadruple Bypass Burger 

20061215-Heart_Attack_Grill_9.jpg

with 20 strips of delicious, greasy bacon, is what I call a burger and worth every penny they charge for it. Pure meat magnificence!!!!!!!! Notice that there are only two pieces of bread to cover 2 lbs. of succulent, juicy beef patties and all that meat candy known as bacon (with the correct percentage of condiments added for your gastronomical enjoyment) which is the golden ratio for carnivores. Bravo! I salute you!!!!!!!

tumblr_naf5grzuFF1svrn68o1_500.gif

Edited by SfanGoch

I learned more about Taco Bell's beef than I ever wanted to know after I broke a tooth on a piece of bone in a soft taco ~15 years ago. I wouldn't eat that stuff now if you paid me. 

In-N-Out and Habit for burgers.  KFC for chicken.   Dunkin Donuts and McDonalds for breakfast.  I try and limit my fast food intake, but it is the occasional guilty pleasure.  

McDonalds for breakfast! My favorite place by far for breakfast. Love their Sausage McMuffin with egg. Two of those. One of their hash browns. And a CokeCola. I'm in breakfast heaven. Once in a blue moon, I go for their Big Breakfast without pancakes. (I maybe the only person in the world who does not like pancakes. I'll eat them. But, I like waffles much better.)

Speaking of McDonalds. No one makes better French fries. I also like their Fish Filet sandwich. But the big thing I like at McDonalds for lunch are their big ranch chicken wraps. Yum! And somewhat healthy for you. Almost making up the two Sausage McMuffin with egg I had at breakfast.

Pizza? I love pizza. The best pizza in the Twin Cities, hands down, is Red Savoys. Followed by Tasty Pizza in Columbia Heights. As far as regular chain pizza? I liked Shakeys when it was around. The rest are nothing to write home about.

Hot dogs? We live in a vast wasteland when it comes to hot dogs. Their is one hot dog place I like in Duluth, called Coney Island of course. They're pretty good. But around the Twin Cities we've got nothing. There are a few places that keep promising us Chicago style hot dogs. But, can't seem to deliver. And I don't know why. Some come close, but at too high of a price.

Chicken. Next to pizza is maybe my favorite food. Good old KFC is okay with me. Popeyes is even better. But, as noted before, nothing beats Culver's in my book. We just got Chick-Fil-A here recently. I'm not at all impressed with them.

Burger King. Yawn! Subway too. Wendy's is okay. I like their chili. Taco Johns is boring. And Chipotle? I don't why, but that maybe is my least favorite of all fast food restaurants. I don't like their food or their ambience. All the Chipotles I've been to are too loud. I can't hear who I'm dining with in their restaurants.

Burgers overall? Burgers are okay. But, in general I prefer other things. We have local drive-in called Wagners that's has very good food in general. Including burgers. Culver's also has good burgers. And I too, like Five Guys.

Edited by unclescott58

In no particular order, I like Potbelly's (sandwiches), Burger King, Barnaby's (pizza), Taco Bell, Brown's Chicken, and Steak 'n' Shake.

From my days in SoCal I miss Los Tres Cochinitos in Lincoln Heights (melt-in-your mouth tortas de lengua) and La Luz del Dia at Olvera Street (after our Aztec dance group performed out front, the manager comped our meals; best tacos I've ever had and fresh corn tortillas made as you watch). In-n-Out always had a long line at the drive-through; burgers=good, shakes=very good, french fries= well, they were french fries.

I really wish Pollo Loco had restaurants here in my area.

Edited by ChrisBcritter

I learned more about Taco Bell's beef than I ever wanted to know after I broke a tooth on a piece of bone in a soft taco ~15 years ago. I wouldn't eat that stuff now if you paid me. 

I will eat Burger King,Wendy's, and Steak n Shake. I don't eat much fast food. I almost broke a tooth on Taco Bell food and don't touch it and Mc Donald's food is very poor quality..

not sure if any of this stuff is good from a health stand-point

Breathing in some cities isn't good from a health standpoint either.I've seen more zombie-like, sickly health food adherents coming out of "healthy" food establishments who have envious looks on their faces as I chow down on a Joe's Busy Corner "Godfather" hero stuffed with prosciutto, provolone, pepperoni, mozzarella, soppressata, lettuce, tomato and mayo, while they pick through their locally sourced, cruelty-free, organic shrub salads. One doesn't need to, and shouldn't, live on a diet strictly based on fast food menu offerings. I reaaaaaalllllly want a Quadruple Bypass Burger, though. With a side of fries. And a large Coke. And extra pickles.

For burgers it is In-n-Out burger is the best (when I am in California, which is not often).  Chick-Fil-A is pretty good, but for chicken nuggets the best place is the "Chicken Shack" - little shop 4 miles from my house. They make the nuggets fresh, right in the back of the place.  They are really juicy and tender, and the breading is very tasty.

Breathing in some cities isn't good from a health standpoint either.I've seen more zombie-like, sickly health food adherents coming out of "healthy" food establishments who have envious looks on their faces as I chow down on a Joe's Busy Corner "Godfather" hero stuffed with prosciutto, provolone, pepperoni, mozzarella, soppressata, lettuce, tomato and mayo, while they pick through their locally sourced, cruelty-free, organic shrub salads. One doesn't need to, and shouldn't, live on a diet strictly based on fast food menu offerings. I reaaaaaalllllly want a Quadruple Bypass Burger, though. With a side of fries. And a large Coke. And extra pickles.

When I go to Culver's and get their 4 piece chicken diner, I always ask for my two sides to be onion rings and cheese curds. All that grease! I refer to it as my "heart attack special." It may not be good for me. But, I love it!