Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 30 Model A Ford Production Halted?

Daddyfink

This has been a  fascinating thread.....

perhaps the "Chinese" found faults with the kits like many of us did?   

A powerful Model A restorer club that can't tolerate hot rods got someone's ear?

or maybe simply an accident in a factory that damaged the shared parts?

as mentioned above the "plans" surely still exist,make 'em here I'm sure many of us would pay the premium for a made in the USA kit.

Edited by mike 51

The rumor (and I do stress the word rumor here) was that the reason the tooling was destoyed was that Revell wanted to move it to another facility. Seems entirely feasible to me that the contractor could have taken the matter to the government and the government intervened on the contractor's behalf. 

As far as the CAD files for the tooling being in Illinois, that's probably true, but perhaps Revell doesn't believe the ROI would justify recreating it. 

If the information about the kits being discontinued did, in fact, come from Stevens, that certainly would lend it credibility.

Still find it very unlikely they would not redo them,  as I understand the sales were high with much potential for future sales as well. I cannot imagine they would just throw their hands up and go "bummer". At least I hope not.  I still need several.

Edited by Modelbuilder Mark
spellin err

Well... Ed Sexton hasn't said anything about any of this, has he? Stevens may be a credible source, but personally, I'd rather wait and hear the news from Revell itself before I go flying off the handle over any of this. Given the fact that this tooling has (allegedly) gone from damaged, to in-repair, to destroyed, all in the space of about a month and a half, I'd be comfortable guessing that something weird is going on. But the simple fact that Revell itself has remained mum about it publicly makes me wonder. "No news is good news." Here's hoping I'm right. 

Well... Ed Sexton hasn't said anything about any of this, has he? Stevens may be a credible source, but personally, I'd rather wait and hear the news from Revell itself before I go flying off the handle over any of this. Given the fact that this tooling has (allegedly) gone from damaged, to in-repair, to destroyed, all in the space of about a month and a half, I'd be comfortable guessing that something weird is going on. But the simple fact that Revell itself has remained mum about it publicly makes me wonder. "No news is good news." Here's hoping I'm right. 

I have to agree with Chuck, let's wait to hear it from the Horses Mouth and not a story that pops up here and there. 

But for what it is worth, I think the molds are being used to build a Giant Robot that is going to be sent to Mars build factories there for Palmer. But I could be wrong. :lol:

What I heard - the Chinese govt. is holding the Model A molds hostage.  They want to force REVELL into a partnership with the Chinese kit company TRUMPETER.  The new company's first release will be an updated version of the old 1/24 scale TRUMPETER kit shown below.  

The Red Flag limo was released in 2 versions already - solid roof and the "Dictator Spec" version shown, with open roof and microphones so Dear Leader can harangue the proletariat.  So a REVELL/TRUMPETER 2-in-1 kit will be easy.  The original kit had an engine insert but not a very good one, so REVELL will be helping with engine/chassis/interior detail.  This will be a Special Subject Retro-Vintage One Run Limited Issue kit, sure to increase in value whether sold complete or by individual parts on eBay. So get yours early!

(Yes, I made all that up.  It's all lies, including the commas.  If you've never seen the TRUMPETER Red Flag limo kit and want one, they're always available on eBay for low prices.  The kit actually has a pretty nice limo interior, complete with a piece of red adhesive fuzzy carpeting like AMT kits of the early 1960's.)

red-flag.jpg

My Hobby Lobby still has the '29 roadsters (they never got the coupes). Being a genetic hoarder/panic buyer, I had to use my coupon to get another one.

Oddly, they had three on the shelf. They rarely have more than one or two of ANYTHING on the shelves.

My Hobby Lobby still has the '29 roadsters (they never got the coupes). Being a genetic hoarder/panic buyer, I had to use my coupon to get another one.

Oddly, they had three on the shelf. They rarely have more than one or two of ANYTHING on the shelves.

Between the Revell '29A Roadster kit and the Replicas and Miniatures '30A Five Window Coupe body (which is in various details a nice variation vs. the Revell Coupe body), you can make your own '30A Coupe.   I submitted an article to MCM on how to do this just about a year ago....here's what the result looks like (picture from October 2016 NNL Nats Cult Theme coverage) DSC 0699

It's not a difficult conversion for most participants of this Forum.  

So if you see any '29 Roadster kits out there  (and you want to build a '30 Coupe in the interim),  my advice?  Grab 'em.  

TIM 

Edited by tim boyd

So if you see any '29 Roadster kits out there  (and you want to build a '30 Coupe in the interim),  my advice?  Grab 'em. 

TIM

Funny thing is, I'm not really an "A Guy," But I do recognize this kit for the Parts Mine that it is. Wanted to get at least one of the Coupes for the same reason, but if I never build a '30 Coupe model, I suppose I'll survive.

Sounds like I should be buying one of these '29s with my coupon every week as long as they have them. (Can always use them for Swap Fodder.) I think I shall do just that...at least until they start stocking something new I want even more....

I've been following this thread, and all I can say is it's a bummer this has happened with such nice new kits... Fortunately, I already bought the 29 roadster a while back, and now I'm hoping I'll be able to source at least one 30 coupe, which I like even better... Would be a shame if these were discontinued just like that, after such a short time on the shelves :/

Snake,

the coupon is available online at HL's site. You don't even need to print it out, just have it on your phone and show it to them. You can then use it every day or even several times a day as long as the cashier doesn't remember you.
And even then I doubt if they care. Or just use a different checkout with a different cashier each time.

Russ

I've been following this thread, and all I can say is it's a bummer this has happened with such nice new kits.

It is a bummer, even if the subject matter doesn't appeal to everyone. I'm sure it'll be back, maybe even in slightly modified form.

The '30 seems to have outsold the '29 by a good margin (4:1, maybe?), as there are still plenty of '29s available for $20 or so. '30s, not so much. 

Edited by Casey

...and when they say some guy dropped the mold and it broke...well it was dropped from a forklift...the molds way a ton, literally.

model-making-18-1284.jpg

Most of these appear to be '50s and '60s era molds, and the one I was able to get a matching kit number off of (I think it was 12B above) was a Renwal prop plane kit. Maybe the Renwal Revivals are in there.

If that red-faced mold on the bottom is indeed Revell H-1551 it should be the Allison Prop Jet Engine. the one to the right of it looks like H 12...31? Or maybe H 1251, which would be the Revell '62 Plymouth Fury?

Edited by Casey

Snake,

the coupon is available online at HL's site. You don't even need to print it out, just have it on your phone and show it to them. You can then use it every day or even several times a day as long as the cashier doesn't remember you.
And even then I doubt if they care. Or just use a different checkout with a different cashier each time.

Russ

I don't have a phone. I print out a couple copies of the coupon at work each week.

I don't have a phone. I print out a couple copies of the coupon at work each week.

On Tuesday, I tried to use a coupon from Michaels that I received when I purchased something the previous Saturday. The kid on cash handed it back to me saying "This doesn't start until Friday but you can get one off your phone for today." I said "I just have a flip phone." He looked at me like I was some kind of neanderthal they found frozen in the arctic. Needless to say I had to pay full price.

• Xingu locked this topic