Model Cars Magazine Forum

ACRYLIC from now on

I'm a huge fan of acrylics. How huge? I've gained 30 pounds in the last month and a half. Wait... never mind that. 

I am a big fan of Tamiya and Polly Scale. Model Master acrylics are pretty good as well, though I've had mixed results with the Testors stuff. It did take some getting used to and a little research and plain old trial and error as far as airbrushing goes, but like anything else, once you get the hang of it it's no big deal. Clean-up is most definitely a plus compared to solvent-based paints, but beware- you will still want to wear the proper protective gear when spraying acrylics. Yes, they're "non-toxic", but you still don't need any solid paint particles clogging up your lungs!

I've had fun experimenting with Future.  Mixing 70% Future and 30% alcohol thins it out so it flows thru the airbrush better. (I use 91% isopropyl alcohol.)  Mixing in a little TAMIYA Flat Base will knock off some of the gloss.  I always try the mix on scrap plastic first, since TAMIYA Flat Base is a little touchy.  Use too much and it will "frost" the finish and ruin it.  Just like TESTORS Dullcote does when its applied too heavily.  Of course, it's not always easy to figure out how much is too much...

And after years of enamels, I've been using a lot more acrylics in the past few years.  I had always like TAMIYA acrylics, now using Citadel and Vallejo as well.

Welcome to the future (TM), I've been using acrylics about 17 years now although I still use rattle cans for car bodies (can't get the hang of the airbrush). You will have some adjustment to technique but I'm quite happy with them. I've heard some people will add a retarder to acrylics to slow the drying time which is much quicker than with enamels.

I've used most of the available paints, Testors Model Master forms the bulk due to availability, although I prefer Pollyscale which Testors bought and then discontinued :angry:  

I don't use Tamiya much as it is tricky to brush. Games Workshop makes great paint with funny names, it is designed for their fantasy wargaming figures so has names to match, Goblin Green, Bleached bone etc. Michaels (and probably Hobby Lobby too) has cheap craft paint in 2oz bottles which works fine for brushing, don't know if it is suitable for airbrush. 

Not to go to far off topic but it was not Testors that killed the train colors. Soon after they were acquired by Rustoleum/RPM was when the product chopping began. That's the unfortunate issue when large corporate umbrella companies buy up small or specialty businesses, it becomes a bottom line at any cost while bean counters instead of the people who actually know something make the decisions. I was in the retail end of the hobby during that time and it was almost madness as people stocked up on whatever the could get until it was gone, it didn't take long to disappear. 

Edited by Phirewriter

Not to go to far off topic but it was not Testors that killed the train colors. Soon after they were acquired by Rustoleum/RPM was when the product chopping began. That's the unfortunate issue when large corporate umbrella companies buy up small or specialty businesses, it becomes a bottom line at any cost while bean counters instead of the people who actually know something make the decisions. I was in the retail end of the hobby during that time and it was almost madness as people stocked up on whatever the could get until it was gone, it didn't take long to disappear. 

Not quite. Both Floquil and Testors were owned by RPM for decades. Rustoleum is also just another brand in the RPM portfolio.  I suspect that dwindling sales and ever-strigent air-pollution regulations were the main reason for the discontinuation of all those paint lines.

I couldn't find any specifics as to when RPM acquired Floquil but I have some bottles from the early '90s with the RPM logo on them (and with the Amsterdam, NY address).

RPM owned Testors since 1984.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Testor_Corporation

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RPM_International

All these mergers between companies seem to done to maximize the company's bottom line - not for the customer's benefit.

Here is the original letter of discontinuance of the paint lines. It seems that RPM had them all managed under the Testors name.  From http://model-railroad-hobbyist.com/node/13972

Friday, May 17th, 2013

Dear Valued Partner,

I am writing to inform you about changes that are taking place at the Testor Corporation. For over 80 years, we have provided premium paints and finishing systems to the craft and hobby industry. Today, we announced that we are transforming our business in order to more effectively address the changing needs of our consumers and their interests.

We’ve made the decision to exit the following businesses within the Testor® Brand family - Pactra®, Floquil®, Polyscale®, and ColorArtz®. This will enable the Testor Corporation to return to our foundation of success – providing premium, innovative product that inspires creativity. We will continue to accept orders and ship product for a limited time based on available quantities.

Going forward, the following brands will be critical to our success and development – Testor®, Model Master™, and Aztek®. These brands will be infused with marketing support, innovation and operational efficiencies.

In support of this, we have announced a consolidation of operations at our Rockford facilities. Over the next several months we will provide updates critical to your order and delivery needs as well as product availability. We assure you there will be no disruption to service during this transition.

Our commitment to the Testor brand has never been stronger. By implementing these changes, and the ability to leverage all of Rust-Oleum’s world class services, we are more strongly poised to take your business to the next level through product and merchandising innovations, and increased customer intimacy. Please contact me or your sales manager directly with any questions.

We appreciate your business!

Best Regards,
Kristin J. Schiro
Director of Sales & Marketing

Edited by peteski

Nice to know, not that it matters much anymore. We got different stories from a number of distributors regarding the decision to eliminate the paint lines. This is the first I've seen this release explaining things. There were rumors for some time, when we approached the Testors reps at one of the hobby trade shows they clearly did not want to talk about it, instead trying to push the new paint lines at that time. It was truly unfortunate as they were excellent paints. 

I was more disappointed to lose the additional colors. Polly Scale and Floquil added significantly to the colors available in the MM Acryl line. Testors provides a much larger color selection in the MM enamel line than it does in the Acryl line. I was hopping that it was just a consolidation into one brand name and the additional colors would make their way into the Acryl line, but that hsn't happened.

It is nice to know it wasn't as underhanded as buying the competition just to shut them down as I'd been led to believe.

• 2 weeks later...

Michaels (and probably Hobby Lobby too) has cheap craft paint in 2oz bottles which works fine for brushing, don't know if it is suitable for airbrush. 

These cheap acrylic craft paints come in an incredible variety, and usually 69 cents to 1.59. My best success has been with using windshield washer fluid as a thinner, which I keep in a dropper. You can squirt out just a bit and thin it in small batches for brush painting small details. However, these type of paints are very susceptible to forming very particles that can clog an airbrush. Try straining it first with something very fine (pantyhose material works pretty well).

I was more disappointed to lose the additional colors. Polly Scale and Floquil added significantly to the colors available in the MM Acryl line. Testors provides a much larger color selection in the MM enamel line than it does in the Acryl line. I was hopping that it was just a consolidation into one brand name and the additional colors would make their way into the Acryl line, but that hsn't happened.

It is nice to know it wasn't as underhanded as buying the competition just to shut them down as I'd been led to believe.

Saying Testors killed Floquil and Polly Scale is a bit like saying Chevrolet killed Pontiac and Oldsmobile.  It was RPM and they had owned them for years, longer than they owned Testors IIRC. The rise and subsequent market domination of pre-painted and/or ready-to-run model railroad locos and rolling stock (and general decline of model railroading overall) killed Floquil/Polly Scale as fewer modelers needed to paint kits.   And honestly (and speaking personally as a modeler not as an industry guy), Testors is going to be lucky to survive as it is.  My hope for the brand is they get sold and bought by a hobby-focused company like Hobbico.  RPM did sell off Pactra's dope line to Midwest and I believe the new Hobbico lexan paint is the old Pactra formula.    

A few of the Polly Scale colors are now in the Acryl lineup 

TES-4874     Aged White Flat        
TES-4875     Aged Concrete Flat        
TES-4876     Concrete Flat        
TES-4877     Earth Flat        
TES-4878     Depot Buff Flat        
TES-4879     Reefer Yellow Flat        
TES-4880     Caboose Red Flat        
TES-4881     Boxcar Red Flat        
TES-4882     Oxide Red Flat        
TES-4883     Signal Green Flat        
TES-4884     Roof Brown Flat        
TES-4885     Railroad Tie Brown Flat        
TES-4886     Reefer Grey Flat        
TES-4887     Grimy Black Flat        
TES-4888     Engine Black Flat        

Edited by Brett Barrow

Saying Testors killed Floquil and Polly Scale is a bit like saying Chevrolet killed Pontiac and Oldsmobile.  It was RPM and they had owned them for years, longer than they owned Testors IIRC. The rise and subsequent market domination of pre-painted and/or ready-to-run model railroad locos and rolling stock (and general decline of model railroading overall) killed Floquil/Polly Scale as fewer modelers needed to paint kits.   And honestly (and speaking personally as a modeler not as an industry guy), Testors is going to be lucky to survive as it is.  My hope for the brand is they get sold and bought by a hobby-focused company like Hobbico.  RPM did sell off Pactra's dope line to Midwest and I believe the new Hobbico lexan paint is the old Pactra formula.    

TES-4877     Earth Flat        

Yeah it was mentioned up thread Testors, Pollyscale and Floquil had been under the same ownership for years. The story going around at the time made it sound more sinister.

Interesting that you say the Acryl line has expanded, that must now exceed the standard single rack in most shops so I only see the same colors I've always seen. For me the big loss was in military aircraft colors, particularly the WW1 and interwar period colors. Many of the railroad colors were also useful for this period. Thankfully Game Workshop has a number of colors that while oddly named are a good substitute. 

I'd like to see Testors back under a real hobby company too, I can't really imagine what RPM was thinking acquiring a fairly small scale hobby line of paints. Seems kind of like GM buying a slot car company.

I too have largely gone over to Acrylic. My brands of choice are Tamiya and Vallejo. While Vallejo seems to be more aimed at the Armor segment, their truly Monstrous line makes it easy to find many colors we as automotive types can use. Their Military stuff is the best aside from Mig. If you want to chip, rust or make something old there are no better systems out there. Making things shiny is easier than making them look worn in my experience.

Yeah it was mentioned up thread Testors, Pollyscale and Floquil had been under the same ownership for years. The story going around at the time made it sound more sinister.

Interesting that you say the Acryl line has expanded, that must now exceed the standard single rack in most shops so I only see the same colors I've always seen. For me the big loss was in military aircraft colors, particularly the WW1 and interwar period colors. Many of the railroad colors were also useful for this period. Thankfully Game Workshop has a number of colors that while oddly named are a good substitute. 

I'd like to see Testors back under a real hobby company too, I can't really imagine what RPM was thinking acquiring a fairly small scale hobby line of paints. Seems kind of like GM buying a slot car company.

this is what  the new acryl rack looks like since Testors went to the common modular rack design a couple years ago. Notice it's one level taller than the one next to it.  

IMG_0131.JPG

this is what  the new acryl rack looks like since Testors went to the common modular rack design a couple years ago. Notice it's one level taller than the one next to it.  

IMG_0131.JPG

Interesting, I'll have to take a look next time I'm in my nearest hobby shop. I liked the additional variety of black shades Floquil offered.

Wish I could have got my hands on one of the outgoing racks.

TES-4877     Earth Flat        

I'm posting this list in the store. This could be very useful.

Charlie Larkin