Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell Visit to November GTR meeting test shots

I wouldn't buy either the Suburban or the Foose Pickup. Neither kit is really of a subject that I like (see below).

However, I would build them, especially the Foose, if someone were to give it to me. :lol:

I did/do like the 53-57ish Ford Pickups that were a thing back in the 70's. The Foose truck is a bit overdone for me, but at least it is in the ballpark.

Russ

Seems to me what a lot of people are forgetting about that Foose Ford is this,

It wasn't a case of Revell deciding to do either a stock '56 pickup or the Foose pickup, it was a case of which Foose vehicle out of the 6 choices of Foose subjects to choose from in the voting they had last year.

They were going to do 2 Foose kits, the pickup was just one of the ones voted by the public to do. 

Seems to me what a lot of people are forgetting about that Foose Ford is this,

It wasn't a case of Revell deciding to do either a stock '56 pickup or the Foose pickup, it was a case of which Foose vehicle out of the 6 choices of Foose subjects to choose from in the voting they had last year.

They were going to do 2 Foose kits, the pickup was just one of the ones voted by the public to do. 

Yes, that was well publicized last year...I guess people have short memories.  And Revell made it clear that the 2 Foose kits would be new tooling.

Looking forward to both.  Interesting how the rear doors are a separate insert on the Suburban.  Maybe to facilitatw making a tailgate w/ single rear window version?

Possibly, or maybe a concession due to how the body shell was molded? Either way, a second issue with the liftgate and tailgate back there and a few other different parts, and we have another "new" kit. ^_^

The FD-100 looks great, too. Should be a great seller.

Looking at the pics Gerry posted of the newly created roof panel, then comparing them to the same parts runner from the '64 Fleetside kit, it appears to me the Suburban/Panel version has been planned for many years, based on the breaks/seams I see in the runners. I don't have an original '64 to check, but I'm going to guess those same breaks/seams on the runner are present. Interesting...

Could be...it does also have the roof separate like the pickup kits..probably too complicated to mold it all as one piece w/ detail.

In short, the lines of the roof, and its overhang at the front, would have to have been compromised in order to make it one-piece with the rest of the body shell--that's very obvious if one REALLY studies any SMP or AMT 1960-66 Chevrolet pickup kit or promo.

Art

Now the million dollar question - When are these hitting the shelves?

Looks like the Foose would be the first one out. 

Both First Quarter, the Foose being late in the quarter.  Supposedly, the other Foose kit, the Cadillac will be late 2017 and they have another new tool for 2017 (with no specifics).  As I understood the conversation, their 2017 tooling budget is sewn up as well as some of  2018.

Since the rear fenders and cab/hood are the primary differences, and Sam Foose built it, not son, I'd venture a cab/hood, fenders (assume separate) and engine would give them a nice new tool stocker, as is their MO, I'm resonably confident we may well get a stocker out of it. Win/win for all of us. 

Suburban based on pickup, and much more was needed. So demand is there, profit is there, business case is made. Best thing about RM is multiple builds out of one tool. 

For me Foose version is fine, I like the subtle changes that make it more flowing and are similar to what I did with an AMT 53 20 years ago. Stock is pretty, but wheelwells look odd with setback of wheels in opening. Hood has vast empty space, and bullnose makes it nose heavy.  I'll build both, as I did with the beloved 53.  The 2 Foose cars were voted on, so there you are. Customer demand, 

PS, thanks for posting, photos just fine.:)

Edited by keyser

I think both of these are pretty darn cool!

The Foose truck will look great as a 50s or 60s custom, just needs to be kitbashed with some of the available AMT parts! It could also look great as a neo-retro custom, slammed on wide whites. The engine and suspension could be swapped to other trucks or cars for that pro-touring/g-machine style, and the body has various mods that help it look less awkward than a stock '56 (most notably, the re-located front wheel arches)...mods that I'd make anyway on a custom F100, so now I don't have to worry about all that bodywork anymore.

The thing I like about the '56 is it's not a completely re-designed version, like the proposed Foose Cadillac...it still looks 99% like a '56 F100. A really good starting point.

And the suburban has that oddball charm, can't wait to see some of them done up as forestry rigs, push trucks, etc.