Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT Ford Galaxie - Minnesota State Patrol

cjanderson

Great looking Squad. It's always interesting to see the different color combinations used by Law Enforcement. I know that Michigan uses the "stop" sign on the hood and I guess there are others, but when you're not used to seeing it it kind of stands out. I'm used to looking for "Slick Tops" in white or black with a small shield on the door. The sneaky guys sit in the center median where the grass is tall.   

That's really nice. I expected to see a black and white car. The bronze looks stylish!

Nice details, like the hood pins and wheel balancing weights. 

Those wheels look real tough n meaty!

in 69 and 70 the Fords were too powerful and a design flaw in the latch was causing the hoods to pop open. So Ford sent the affected departments pin kits. 

Very nice Chris..! I really enjoy seeing your work...!

May I ask how well that kit builds up ?    I have a couple but not built ...

Fit wasn't too bad. A little sanding and slight modifications that's it. But not a tremendous amount of detail. So a lot of time is spent nailing down specifics. It's really a neat blank canvas though. Hope you enjoy building one. 

Very nice job. Though I don't remember Minnesota using the hood mounted stop light like the one shown on your model. Michigan yes. Minnesota I believe had a different right fender mount stop light. Still I like it. I'm also curious about the paint you used. From the photos it looks like a very good match for the Maroon color Minnesota uses on their cars. What did you use? 

Scott

Hey Scott.

I used testors mythical maroon. If you go to Maroon Cruisers.com they actually list the paint code when they made it official in 1958. You are correct about the passenger side light mounted on the front fender. They used them in the 50's until the late 60's I think. Here are some shots of a 1970 Plymouth and 69 Ford with the roof mounted bi-directional stop signs. Hope it helps

IMG_23651.jpg

776105_orig.jpg

b7cc402e1e2e6f56a6cf707157b5b8a9.jpg

8944698_orig.jpg

Hey Scott.

I used testors mythical maroon. If you go to Maroon Cruisers.com they actually list the paint code when they made it official in 1958. You are correct about the passenger side light mounted on the front fender. They used them in the 50's until the late 60's I think. Here are some shots of a 1970 Plymouth and 69 Ford with the roof mounted bi-directional stop signs. Hope it helps

Again I'm impressed. I'm always willing to admit when I'm wrong. And I'm wrong on the hood stop light. I should have gone to Maroon Cruisers website before saying anything. I'm glad to hear you knew of that site. It's a great one for info on Minnesota Highway/State Patrol cars. Testors Mythical Maroon? Is that an enamel or a lacquer? 

Scott