Model Cars Magazine Forum

Teresi / Blair : 1/8 Scale "Italiano" Buick V8 Drag Bike ...On The Workbench 3/23/17

Been a while since I stopped by here and you surely didn't disappoint John.  This must be a real fun build for you.  I wouldn't know where to start other than the wheels first......just fantastic.  Can I ask what tutorial or insight you had on doing them in the first place?  So well done.  I have to say that following your WIP's are some of the best with all the pictures AND techniques you offer up....great great way to learn something new.  Thanks for sharing.  cheers, tim

Been a while since I stopped by here and you surely didn't disappoint John.  This must be a real fun build for you.  I wouldn't know where to start other than the wheels first......just fantastic.  Can I ask what tutorial or insight you had on doing them in the first place?  So well done.  I have to say that following your WIP's are some of the best with all the pictures AND techniques you offer up....great great way to learn something new.  Thanks for sharing.  cheers, tim

Hi Tim.......thanks Brother.......I always wanted to try and lace a motorcycle wheel......they look so much better than kit wheels.......but,It just seeemed like a lot of work and I was`nt really ready for the challenge...... but, it was pretty easy........just took a lot of time.......I`m sure a smaller wheels would be a lot harder but,I think I could do them too......I have seen how people do some wheels........... but,I tried a different way to do them......an experiment if you will and it worked out pretty good.........the wheels are 1/2 `s ......I left one 1/2 complete with plastic spokes.......and the other 1/2 I re-moved all the plastic spokes and drilled all the holes on the rim and hub for the spokes.......then I made a template spoke for the one side of the hub and one for the other side of the hub.........there is a tad difference in lenghth.......then I white glued the 1/2 hub to the other 1/2 hub t and the 1/2 wheel to the other 1/2 wheel and glued each spoke starting with one side of the 1/2 hub and then removing the 1/2 hub.......turning it up-side down and gluing the rest of the spokes to the other side in the diffierent direction.......then I did the sme thing to the other 1/2 of the wheel.......hope you understood what I was trying to say?.......I`m not very good at exsplaining things.......sorry

Hello.......Kerry,Danno,Randy......thanks guys for the kind comments.......I really do appreciate them:)........I did some modifications on the Left side of the engine.......I made an Oil Sump, Engine Trans Plate Cover,  Clutch , a Clutch Arm  and  a Clutch Cover, ......I also made a Chain Guard......I will work on the right side of the engine next.....thanksfor looking

...cool! I remember this bike from my earliest days.

Motorcycle models need laced wheels to get into the trophy round at model contests. I tried resin casting hubs and rims but too soft for the lacing procedure. Metal casting solved the problem on my Hillclimber wheels:

Blog:http://kitmaker.net/modules.php?op=modload&name=SquawkBox&file=index&req=viewtopic&topic_id=240355&page=1

I can see it would be real difficult to try to get one of those hard rubber slicks onto a one piece rim , may hafta be cast in one piece rim and tire. Casting these parts in metal does have areal good advantage creating a heavy stable base for the model , not the usual top heavy bike model falling over and such.

Stellar work here , I'll be watching...

Edited by krow113

Hello......Steve,Sam,Bob......thanks guys for the kind comments......I really do appreciate them.:)..........I did some work on the right side of the engine......I used parts box stuff  ........made some modifications and scartch built things.......I will make a manifold today.......I ordered some valve covers and carbs from TDR 3D printing.......I will need to modify them and the heads as well ......thanks for looking

Hello......John,Dave ,Randy.......thanks gtuys for the kind comments ......I really do appreciate them:)........I got my Carter Carbs and Valve Covers from TDR 3D printing......I modified the Small Block Chevy Valve Covers to resemble Buick Valve Covers.......I had to cut them at an angle and shave off a coulpe of fins.......I also finished some modifications on the Engine Block ......I also made some headers, and I still need to add the flanges......I made a custom manifold for the TDR  3D Printed  Carter Carbs.......I also made a new gas tank,the other one I made looked to small......this is just a Mock-up all the fine detail will be added later ......thanks for looking.