Model Cars Magazine Forum

'64 Ford Falcon T/A

afx

Thanks Floyd

Okay, I have come up with the final wheel choice and build direction.  Shelby wheel from AMT's '67 GT350 stripped of chrome, slots opened and the grease cap drilled out.

DSCN4580DSCN4578Mid-Ohio1967BobJohnson2

Thanks Fabrizio and Floyd.

Made up some patch panels where I removed the molded in battery.

Before:

DSCN4527

After:

DSCN4583

Also modified the Trumpeter core support to fit.  Might add some more detail as well.

Rules required the battery to be carried in the stock location.  Scratched up a simple tray, battery is from the Trumpeter kit.

DSCN4586

Deepened the recess in the inner fender and added some angle for support.

DSCN4589

Battery in place.

DSCN4590

Shot a bit of primer on the wheels to get a better idea of the look.

DSCN4585

That has to be one of the best looking builds of the Trumpeter Falcon I have seen.

It has to be; I'm sure JC will have it no other way  B)

I was under the impression that the batteries were mounted longitudinally in '66 and crossways prior to that but the ol' memory ain't what it used to be...

mike

Thanks Ron.  I am anxious the get some primer on the body to really see what it looks like.

Yea Joe, pre-drilled distributor from R&M. 

Your are correct Mike - nice catch!  Never occurred to me they would mount the battery in that orientation.  I just checked and not sure I can turn it without rebuilding the inner fender.  If that is the case I may leave it as is but I'll study it some more. 

Yes, Mike is correct. In fact "in the real world" the battery probably wouldn't fit the other way, given the angle of the inner fender apron and the proximity of the shock towers.

http://topclassiccarsforsale.com/uploads/photoalbum/1964-ford-falcon-futura-convertible-rangoon-red-289-auto-recent-restoration-6.jpg

Side note: when Ford started installing the V8 in the Falcon in late '63, they had to hammer a big dent in the shock tower for generator clearance. It's tight in there!

Can't rotate the battery without rebuilding the inner fender so I am going to leave it as is.  Remember to deduct for this if your scoring at home.  :)

Finally got some primer on the body.

DSCN4593DSCN4596

I think it compares favorably to the AMT.

DSCN4599

Works for me too Mike-thanks.

Made up a set of dump pipes. Cleaned up and shortened the drive shaft due to the forward position of the rear axle.  I think the chassis is ready for paint.

DSCN4602

Edited by afx

Very impressive work! HOW exactly did you modify the sides of the body?

Every time I open the box of the Trumpeter i cringe, obviously this is the body's biggest problem, the slab sided look.

So , how'd ya do it?
Again, very impressive COOL work.

Thanks Bob.

I'll try to explain what I did Gary.  If you have any questions just ask.

Trumpeter Falcon Body Mods

• Set the body on a flat surface you will notice the top line of the fender slopes upwards.  Sand the bottom edge of the body to bring the top line of the fender down to a more parallel position.
  • Aggressively sanded the outer bottom edge of the body to give the appearance of more curvature top to bottom.
  • The bottom line of rear fender, behind the wheel should slope upwards.
  • The front edge of the front wheel opening is too vertical.

DSCN4566

• Remove a wedge of material in the rear valance and pull the lower edge of the fenders inward.

DSCN4518DSCN4569

• Carefully bend the lower edge of the front fenders inward.
  •  Soften all edges of the body lines.

DSCN4570

Edited by afx