Model Cars Magazine Forum

'64 Ford Falcon T/A

afx

Great picture Mike-thanks.

64_Ford-Falcon-num17_DV-14-MH-02.jpg.cf_

Glad you are enjoying the show Joe - I'm here all week, try the veal. :D

Great picture, looks like the top of the hill before you drop into the  "cork screw"  at Laguna Seca. The blue car clearly shows a very stock looking fuel filler. The subject you're using in your build looks to have the stock filler and a quick fill in the trunk. The gold car may have competed in events from different sanctioning bodies that allowed the use of a quick fill. The gold car also appears to have a small tube type bumper that may have been allowed since the fuel tank is so exposed. I think your modifications to this kit have been outstanding and I have enjoyed watching your build.   

Ah OK, got it. That makes what you do even more extraordinary - I don't know how I'd build without an airbrush!

I have an airbrush, which I don't mind spraying Tamiya acrylics through at my work area.  I just don't want to spray solvent based paints in the house without a way to exhaust the fumes. Maybe someday I'll have a better setup.

Although the rule book posted seems to state otherwise, Trans-Am allowed quick fill fueling in '67 (based on period photos) so it's a little confusing.  None the less Gary's great period photo clearly shows a quick fill in the Falcon's trunk lid so that's what I'll be installing.

fc9f20ec04360e3c97b093dbf4337a73.jpgImage result for '67 camaro trans amImage result for 67 mustang trans am

This is '68 but it's a great photo of re-fueling in action.

Edited by afx

I have an airbrush, which I don't mind spraying Tamiya acrylics through at my work area.  I just don't want to spray solvent based paints in the house without a way to exhaust the fumes. Maybe someday I'll have a better setup.

That's for clarifying - make sense. (I really should pay closer attention.)

I've cropped and brightened Gary's Mid-Ohio picture.  What's puzzling me about the orange enclosure if that is indeed what it is doesn't appear to extend under the car.  That's what leads me to believe it's a protective plate of some sort - possible a piece of angle. Not sure why you would expose the fuel tank mounting straps (?) to potential damage though. 

print 1967 33 MidOhio Johnson2

From The Cars of Trans-Am Racing 1966-1972:

DSCN4622

Edited by afx

This is a killer project! I always enjoy the attention to detail you put into all of your projects. 

I've liked '64/'65 Falcons for a long time. My best friend in high school (we graduated in '98) drove the '65 Ranchero that his dad bought brand new 6 months before being drafted to Vietnam - 289 hipo / 4 speed / 4.11 rear axle. Silversmoke paint / white interior / buckets / console. Two weeks after he bought it he put headers / custom exhaust and cheater slicks. Unfortunately, the original motor was long gone and the car was a bit worn down. My friend did some research a found that as-built, the car was one of a handful. Right after high school I acquired a really straight original white paint '64 2-door wagon. I had it for about two years but sold it to fund another project. Looking back, I wish I had built the wagon instead.

B)

This is a great thread. It was started while I was away so I am very glad I discovered it. It got me motivated to get back to work on my '67 Mustang Trans-Am. Especially valuable is the link to the Trans-Am rule books. Was surprised to find out batteries had to remain in stock position.

I have always been a a first and second generation Falcon fan. In the early 2000's I was fortunate to own a very nice 65 hardtop cloned as a Canadian only Hi-Po 4-speed. It had front disc brakes, was slightly lowered with American mags. I still miss it. I got to do three fairly quick 'Parade" laps around Pacific Raceways Kent Washington. I built a model of that Falcon based on a Modelhaus resin and more recently built a phantom Lotus-Falcon based on the Trumpeter kit.

Keep up the incredible work.

Edited by Phildaupho

Thanks Shay.

Couldn't find the Tamiya paint I wanted so bought Model Master Champagne Gold Metallic.   According to the builders of these Mustangs this is the paint they used.

Image result for model master champagne goldIMG_0424.jpg

Thanks John & Guy.

I was unable to determine exactly what the orange structure was at the back of the car so I built my own version trying to make it strong yet light as possible.  The legs attach to the frame rails with some flat stock to tie them together and a piece of angle protruding downward to protect the fuel tank from a collision from behind.

DSCN4642

DSCN4645