Model Cars Magazine Forum

13" wheels in 1:24 scale. Help!

Hi everyone, I'm new here and about to undertake my first serious model build in a very long time. The kit I have is the Tamiya 1:24 scale Morris Mini Cooper Racing, which will be built as a replica of my own car which I spent 7 years restoring. I have collected all the various parts that I will need except for wheels, which really have me stumped! My car has 13" x 7" deep dish banded steel wheels, and it's proving impossible to find anything similar in 1:24 scale. Does anyone have any suggestions? Something vaguely similar I could adapt? Maybe a kit that includes similar wheels that I could use with mine? 

Any help would be greatly appreciated, and sorry if this is in the wrong section, I was't sure.

Thanks

Chris

Here's one way...several US cars from the 1960s and '70s ran 4-bolt 13" wheels. I'd suggest finding a set of stock wheels from something like a Chevette or Pinto with a 4-bolt pattern to get a reasonable looking center. Remove the rims, and transplant the centers into a suitably deep-dish 13" resin rim, something like this...(of course you'll have to remove the centers from the resin rims)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Resin-1-25-Chevy-Corvair-13-5-Slot-Ansen-Sprint-Mag-Wheels-/261163055910?hash=item3cce87fb26:g:UpgAAOSwHnFV0mrk

s-l1600.jpg

Actually, it's not impossibly hard to widen 13" stock plastic rims if you can find something with a suitable 4-bolt center. 

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

I do not know of any 13 inch rims in scale now

But AMT use to have them in several Annuals from the early 60's

Falcons, Mustangs, Tempest, even Corvairs had them

You can TRY the latest issues of the 60 (formerly 61) Falcon Ranchero

or 69 Corvair (Stock version not Funny Car)

The Ranchero had Steelies, but from what I have read, are closer to a 14 in rim

That MIGHT work out as the AMT kit is 1/25 while your Mini is 1/24

There are some Japanese 14" steel wheel sets available that could possibly be turned down to 13", and a new bead fabricated from thin sheet styrene, too.

Japan-Collectables-35.jpg

These look perfect!! I doubt you would even notice the size difference at such a small size, do you have a link to them?

Here's a set of 13" staggered Fujimi's (with slick racing tires) that could possibly get you in the ballpark too, maybe by removing the centers and substituting pressed-steel-look centers from something else, as I suggested above.

I had actually seen the Fujimi's, and am definitely considering them if I can't get anything closer. Excellent idea regarding swapping the centers though.

Thanks very much for the help so far guys! Some excellent suggestions here! :) The problem I have is that funds are a lttle tight at the moment so I cant really justify buying an entire kit just fot the wheels, as much as I would like too! 

Here is a pic of my car so you can see what I'm getting at. Not the best photo but you can get the idea. 

DSC_0039_zpsuonxvyot.jpg

That Mini's paint looks to die for! .. razor sharp reflections.

I hope you start an On the Workbench thread so we can watch your build. The fact that this is one of yours make it even better!

Thanks dude! I appreciate it. makes all the hard work worthwhile :) 

I shall do indeed! When I get some free time to actually make a start lol. I've already started a mkIV Toyota Supra Tamiya kit which will be a replica of my dad's car, so I'll get that one out of the way first. Not to mention that I'm still working on the real car! 

That's perfect! :) I did some searching and have just found some from Japan for half the price! Ordered them now, can't wait to get started on this kit! 

That is your best bet; IIRC all the AMT 13" steel wheels from their early compact car kits were 5-lug - which was only correct on the Valiant, plus they were missing the raised areas between the lugs.

The '69 Corvair and '60 Ranchero wheels are 5-lug as well.

Edited by ChrisBcritter

That is one awesome looking Mini Cooper (and cute as hell too)!  I drive a Scion xB (the 1st generation Toyota bB, aka. "the box").  It is a small car on American roads full of giant SUVs.  Couple of years ago I was driving on a highway when I came upon a stock (unmodified) Mini Cooper like yours. It was so much smaller than my (already small) car. As I got closer I noticed a sticker on the rear window. It read "Yeah, it's got a HEMI".  I never laughed so hard!

BTW, there seems to be a shark's mouth on the blue vehicle reflected in your Mini - what is that?

Edited by peteski

That is one awesome looking Mini Cooper (and cute as hell too)!  I drive a Scion xB (the 1st generation Toyota bB, aka. "the box").  It is a small car on American roads full of giant SUVs.  Couple of years ago I was driving on a highway when I came upon a stock (unmodified) Mini Cooper like yours. It was so much smaller than my (already small) car. As I got closer I noticed a sticker on the rear window. It read "Yeah, it's got a HEMI".  I never laughed so hard!

BTW, there seems to be a shark's mouth on the blue vehicle reflected in your Mini - what is that?

Thanks a lot! I often forget how tiny it is haha. Even here in the UK it looks miniature compared to some of the cars we have on the roads. 

The car in the reflection is one of my dad's toys; his 1959 Austin Healy Frogeye Sprite. It'e been in the family for generations. The shark mouth was added for a bit of fun for a road trip through France for the Le Mans 24hrs :)

Here's a better pic of it, alongside my Mini before the full rebuild. 

IMG_5076_zpscf5cdb11.jpg

Thanks again for all the help guys! I knew joining this forum was a good idea :) 

The AMT VW Sirocco has 13" wheels, including a deep racing set. They're the mesh type but you may be able to cut the rim away from the centers to use on other style centers.

But looks like the Aoshimas are pretty close to your wheels anyway.

Thanks a lot! I often forget how tiny it is haha. Even here in the UK it looks miniature compared to some of the cars we have on the roads. 

The car in the reflection is one of my dad's toys; his 1959 Austin Healy Frogeye Sprite. It'e been in the family for generations. The shark mouth was added for a bit of fun for a road trip through France for the Le Mans 24hrs :)

Here's a better pic of it, alongside my Mini before the full rebuild. 

Frogeye Sprite?!  Nice! It is so ugly, it's cute. :)  I have a Gunze Sangyo model of that car I'll build one of this days.  Last year I saw one of those in-person for the fist time in my life.  It is so tiny that it coudl almost pass for a child's pedal car!  Must be a fun car to drive.

Here is a good example of how small my xB is. One morning I was leaving work and I saw my car against a silhouette of a Dodge Ram truck of one of my co-workers.  The overall length of my car is just slightly larger then the truck's wheelbase!

XBvsDodgeTruck2sm.thumb.jpg.9cc29538bdf5

Frogeye Sprite?!  Nice! It is so ugly, it's cute. :)  I have a Gunze Sangyo model of that car I'll build one of this days.  Last year I saw one of those in-person for the fist time in my life.  It is so tiny that it coudl almost pass for a child's pedal car!  Must be a fun car to drive.

Here is a good example of how small my xB is. One morning I was leaving work and I saw my car against a silhouette of a Dodge Ram truck of one of my co-workers.  The overall length of my car is just slightly larger then the truck's wheelbase!

they really are great fun to drive! Tiny little 948cc engine, but it's so light you hardly notice! I've been trying to get hold of one of the Gunze Sangyo kits, but they're quite pricey now!

And to think, my Mini would probably fit inside the wheelbase of your xb! :lol:

You might look into slot car wheels and tires. A few years ago I came across some at an old hobby shop. They were meant for 1/32 scale slot cars, but the tires fit onto a 1/24 Hasegawa 13" wheel that I had so they must have been right.

Edited by oldcarfan
Edited for clarity