Model Cars Magazine Forum

Help and Hints

Thought I'd start this thread to pick everybody's brain when I needed help and to pass on what I learn:rolleyes:

HELP!--------------Need a computer program that will allow me to shrink pictures down to model scale for use in making decals or for whatever:(

20170807_100620.thumb.jpg.53b9d7ebc58329

Hint!---------------Everybody probably already knows this but Bob Smith's two part epoxy dries clear, should work great on molded in headlights to look like glass over them

Had to move down here to finish. In the picture at the bottom of the "V" in the hood is where I put a little of it that I mixed. It dries clear.

I ordered it from either Hobbylinc ot Megahobby. Don't remember

Hope that helps someone:mellow:

Edited by Super28

Epoxy does work but a simpler method for me is Future Floor Polish.  I just place a large drop and it self levels.  It shrinks a lot so a few applications are required.  These gauge lenses are done with this method.

DSCN3243

You can also buy that 2-part clear epoxy in Loew's or Home Depot.  I've used the "Devcon" trade name for years, but Gorilla and several other companies also make it.  It really is useful and versatile stuff.  In dioramas, it's great for making small mud-puddles or even water dripping out of a broken pipe.

One way to shrink pictures down etc. is good old Microsoft Word.  Just paste your poster, sign or whatever into a Word document.  Word will recognize it as a picture and you get the 4 "handles" on the corners so you can re-size it.  Then you can print it on regular paper until the size is just right, then print it on decal paper. Or thick card-stock, if you're making road signs and the like.

Thought I'd start this thread to pick everybody's brain when I needed help and to pass on what I learn:rolleyes:

HELP!--------------Need a computer program that will allow me to shrink pictures down to model scale for use in making decals or for whatever:(

If you have Windows you have MS Paint. Find the image you like, right click, select Open With, the choose Paint.

Clean the image up as desired, select the area you want,  then select Resize (upper left area of the options bar). Enter a percentage for reduction (or enlargement, if that's what you want), and press Enter.

I typically will expand the borders of the image displayed, select the area, and copy it. I then paste, move the pasted area to an open area (provided by the expanded borders) and Resize. I'll paste again, move that image to a clear area, and resize again, using a different percent. Repeat as necessary, until you have the size you want.

Once again, I have a tutorial for this process but I'm being held hostage by PhotoBucket.

Epoxy does work but a simpler method for me is Future Floor Polish.  I just place a large drop and it self levels.  It shrinks a lot so a few applications are required.  These gauge lenses are done with this method.

DSCN3243

WOW!

I use Gimp. It is a cross platform free software that is extremely efficient. Since I don't use Microsloth's windozs and use Linux instead, the procedures may be a little bit different. Open your picture in Gimp. Right click and select "transform tools", "crop". Crop (cut out) the picture to it's outside dimentions. Press enter key. Right click and choose "image", "print size". Enter size as needed. Press enter. Right click and in File, choose "export as". Make sure the extension is jpeg and going to the right folder. Press enter. Done deal.

Be careful using 5 min. epoxy for gauge lenses! Over time especially if the gauges have a white background, the epoxy can yellow making your gauges appear yellow as well. :(

Yes, I agree - I have experienced this problem few times and I no longer use any of the epoxy adhesives (especially the 5-minute type) to represent clear lenses.  Also, most epoxies have slight amber tint to begin with.  But I had it turn deep amber after several years.

DSCN3243

You can do the same thing with "Laser Bond" glue.

Squeeze in a drop, hit it with UV light & it's hardened in a couple of seconds.

Steve

DSCN5419