Model Cars Magazine Forum

D-Revell Panamera

keyser

1 hour ago, Nudel said:

I got my Revell Panamera on Friday.

Rims and tires are more or less o.k., better than in the past - but I hope Plamoz will make new rims, especially the 21" versions.

Daniel

The guys over at USCP are doing a couple of wheel sets and a transkit for the shooting brake body in 2018.

10 hours ago, Bill Eh? said:

Thanks Rob. At first glance, that website could be a real wallet-emptier! :o:lol:

Especially if you like wheel swaps!

I have their WRX STi sedan conversion and it's pretty nice on first impression and inspection. They 3D designed and printed the sedan from the C pillar back and then grafted it into a Aoshima 2010 WRX STi 5 door - then cast that, so you know it will fit the chassis and interior.  I also have the Mansory GT-S conversion for the RevellAG Mercedes AMG GT making the slog over here. 

There's a little wait time on the bodies as they cast to order those, plus the transit time from Ukraine, but nothing I'd consider outrageous (usually 4-6 weeks).

On 12/25/2017 at 9:08 AM, Nudel said:

I got my Revell Panamera on Friday.

Overall a nice kit, but with some issues:

- Sinkmarks on the rear and a grubby mold overall - you have to sand and prime a lot

- Its high as a SUV, you have to lower the suspension, especially on the rear

- Chassis with very low detail

In opposite, the interior looks nice and is very well detailed

Rims and tires are more or less o.k., better than in the past - but I hope Plamoz will make new rims, especially the 21" versions.

Sorry for my english and kind regards from Germany,

Daniel

Thanks for the info Daniel - your English is fine.

To follow up on Peteski's review, the body molding is a step back for Revell. It looks more crude than recent offerings. There are sink marks on the roof (just above the hatch opening), rear bumper, just above the rear lights on the sides where the bumper meets the quarter panels, and 4 sink marks on the deployable wing. Also, the shut lines are very shallow - - the top of the rear hatch shut line is barely there, and it will be tricky to re-scribe.  The rest of the kit looks nicely molded.  

IMG_9046.jpg

IMG_9047.jpg

IMG_9045.jpg

IMG_9044.jpg

Edited by BVC500

In the past Revell Germany had their tooling done in China and production in Poland, think they do it all in Poland now, maybe therefore the change in execution.

Saw the change with their Porsche "Vaillant" racing car, dunno if this one is the first one under the new formula, maybe the Mclaren is, but don't have that one..

13 minutes ago, Luc Janssens said:

In the past Revell Germany had their tooling done in China and production in Poland, think they do it all in Poland now, maybe therefore the change in execution.

Saw the change with their Porsche "Vaillant" racing car, dunno if this one is the first one under the new formula, maybe the Mclaren is, but don't have that one..

I have the McLaren, and its 1000% better than that. I just ordered this kit too, and those sink marks are unacceptable. Revell should be ashamed of their QC personal at that factory...if there are any. For a modern kit from one of the world's largest manufacturers that's horrid. 

I'd say hopefully you just got a bad one....but I'm guessing they're all going to be like that. Mine should be here this week after the 1st, I'll post up pics too to see if its across the board or just a isolated incident.

Even though I somewhat agree, it must be said that Revell operates basically on the low end of the market. There are not much manufactures that offers new tooled 1:24 cars for under 25 dollars.

And that probably has its refelction on some of the quality-issues. Sure, it can be improved, but to what point? The better the quality, the higher the price and if this would've cost 10-15 dollars more, would there still be a market?

3 minutes ago, The Creative Explorer said:

Even though I somewhat agree, it must be said that Revell operates basically on the low end of the market. There are not much manufactures that offers new tooled 1:24 cars for under 25 dollars.

And that probably has its refelction on some of the quality-issues. Sure, it can be improved, but to what point? The better the quality, the higher the price and if this would've cost 10-15 dollars more, would there still be a market?

Heavy molded-in details or assembly fixtures cause sink marks, one would think it's common knowledge ;)

So it's more a tooling design, rather then a quality issue, injecting molding experts please step in.

A couple more things about the body. 1) the fenders around the headlights are sloppy and will need to be smoothed out because they headlights are supposed to fit flush at the top of the fender, and the inboard character line is way too pronounced. I did a test fit and they are not flush at the top, which probably can't be corrected without shaving down the fender, but at least it can be minimized with some smoothing.  2) I think the shape of the rear quarter light is off. It's too rounded and not as sleek as the real car, which despite being a sedan, mimics the window shape of the 911. 3) Finally, the slope of the hatch back should not be one continuous line - it should change angles every so slightly at the base of the rear window so that it looks less like a hatchback and more like a sedan.

I don't want to sound like a big complainer - I do enjoy cleaning up Revell's bodies as part of the build process - its just a favorite pastime to discuss kit flaws!

IMG_9063.jpg

IMG_9062.jpg

porsche-model.png

2017-porsche-panamera-turbo-headlight.jpg

Edited by BVC500

4 hours ago, Luc Janssens said:

Heavy molded-in details or assembly fixtures cause sink marks, one would think it's common knowledge ;)

So it's more a tooling design, rather then a quality issue, injecting molding experts please step in.

Even though that is true, it is the compromise between detail and parts. Revell opted to have a bit more detail into the kit, with fewer parts, making the tooling cheaper. But the compromise comes with consequences. And the marketing department assesed (probably) where and where not they made concessions to the kit.

Ofcourse, the quality can be better, but will the kits still be affordable and well-selling?

40 minutes ago, The Creative Explorer said:

Even though that is true, it is the compromise between detail and parts. Revell opted to have a bit more detail into the kit, with fewer parts, making the tooling cheaper. But the compromise comes with consequences. And the marketing department assesed (probably) where and where not they made concessions to the kit.

Ofcourse, the quality can be better, but will the kits still be affordable and well-selling?

Yes, Tamiya kits , so it can be done.

1 hour ago, martinfan5 said:

Totally agree. Both Tamiya and Aoshima are worlds better than ROG and kit prices are not that different. 

Looking at those photos of the Porsche, it appears to be a model from around 1980 - wavy with poor engraving. 

16 hours ago, BVC500 said:

To follow up on Peteski's review, the body molding is a step back for Revell.

To give credit were it is due, I quoted Daniel's (review) post commenting on his use of English language.

As far as the sink holes go I'm no mold engineer, but as I understand, sinkholes are caused by too-thick of a cross-section of the item being molded.  That is a mold design issue. Or possibly by not injecting enough liquid styrene.

8 hours ago, martinfan5 said:

I doubt it, would you buy a 50-70 dollar Revell Panamera, if it didn't had those issues?

My Panamera left already the building, but when I was glancing over it, mine didn't seem to have much problems. But I didn't go over in detail with it.

9 hours ago, The Creative Explorer said:

IMHO it's issues like that, which drive people towards diecasts, 

My advice, if one wants to cut corners, make the HDLNR with all of its details (handgrips, domelights etc) one big decal or heavy sticker.

For attachment points / assembly fixtures, one uses the design of the subject to it's advantage, so put those in area's, where the possible sinkmarks will be hidden by the attachment of other parts.

Somebody needs to read my 250K Question ;)

Edited by Luc Janssens

5 hours ago, The Creative Explorer said:

I doubt it, would you buy a 50-70 dollar Revell Panamera, if it didn't had those issues?

My Panamera left already the building, but when I was glancing over it, mine didn't seem to have much problems. But I didn't go over in detail with it.

Well nobody with a lick of sense is paying $50-70 for a Tamiya kit either. The most expensive kit they ever made was the LFA and that still clocked in under $50. It also wasn't a weakly engraved, sink riddled box of disappointment either.

11 hours ago, The Creative Explorer said:

Fact, if it was Tamiya, it would not have those issues,  Tamiya proves time and time again that quality kits at affordable prices are very much something that can be done.   

Edited by martinfan5

On ‎1‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 4:25 PM, BVC500 said:

Look, the rear only has one parking sensor! It is also missing the parking sensors on the sides of the front bumper (has them on the bumper front).

349570AA-6302-444B-B83F-F8BD488232EC.jpeg

Looks like you have your work cut out for you. From looking at your photos, it looks a little soft around the front end. If you get a chance, why don't you bring it to the M.A.M.A. meeting, since you are local. I , for one would love to see it.