Model Cars Magazine Forum

Signs of getting old...... at modeling

Forgetting what you have is the fun part for me. I like to cruze eBay just to see. I almost bought a couple kits, then realized I had them. It's also fun to open boxes and find cool surprises stashed in there. I found a Carl Casper Galloping Ghost that way. Found some report decals in another spot. Neat.

1 hour ago, Scott Colmer said:

Forgetting what you have is the fun part for me. I like to cruze eBay just to see. I almost bought a couple kits, then realized I had them. It's also fun to open boxes and find cool surprises stashed in there. I found a Carl Casper Galloping Ghost that way. Found some report decals in another spot. Neat.

I figure that if you work the increasing tendency towards "forgetting" timing just right, eventually you'll only need one kit. Something entirely new every day...:D

On 11/28/2017 at 9:07 AM, rel14 said:

Tell me your story,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,(( this was not meant to be a exercise or start a fight column ,, I honor them who can,, but in my case, 5 pds of steel plates, screws, and wire holding me together, and a bottle of pills, shuffling is a honor for me,))

Let's see, I'm 74 and....

• Cataract surgery (both eyes) in February
  • Lung infection in March
  • Loss of son in May (suicide)
  • Hospitalization for Aortic Abdominal Aneurism in July
  • Hospitalization to remove malignant tumor in lung in October

Yep, the hits keep coming on

9 hours ago, #1 model citizen said:

As for vision cateracts come with age according to my eye doc, if we're "lucky enough to live that long''.

Lucky enough to live that long? I'm only 59, and I just had both eyes done. And I have several friends in their early 50's who have had cataract surgery. So are we lucky to get past 50? I hope people on an average live longer than 50. 

On 11/28/2017 at 9:07 AM, rel14 said:

...but in my case, 5 pds of steel plates, screws, and wire holding me together, and a bottle of pills, shuffling is a honor for me,))

That's rough. Somewhere along the line, I guess you got busted up pretty bad, and for that I'm sincerely sorry. 

People get hurt. Bad. People get sick. Harry was only in his 50s. Yeah, I get it.

My message was only intended for the folks who voluntarily let themselves go...when they have choices every moment...and then complain about the results.

39 minutes ago, unclescott58 said:

Lucky enough to live that long? I'm only 59, and I just had both eyes done. And I have several friends in their early 50's who have had cataract surgery. So are we lucky to get past 50? I hope people on an average live longer than 50. 

Yep, I had 2  eye docs tell me that. I'm 65...

On 11/28/2017 at 8:07 AM, rel14 said:

You have to keep your model room at 65 degrees, cause you use so much light to see, you almost melt the model,   NASA can see the glow from your room,

your glasses are a half inch thick, and you have three magifing lenses to see,  you try to us your kids telescope to see them some parts,

you went to 1/16 scale cause 1/24 is to small to see any more,, or 1/18.

you fall asleep in you chair , and have model pieces glued to your chest,,    You wear depends cause to can't make it to the bathroom that quick any more..( I use a port a pot chair.).)  you accidently super glue your walker to the table,,,, Takes 5 minutes to bend over and pick up the part that fell...

you build a Camaro thinking it was the 66 mustang you dreamed about...  forget what your building, so you start another model.. 

Sorry, but most of this is my life story,  and  I'm sticking to it,,,         

Tell me your story,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,(( this was not meant to be a exercise or start a fight column ,, I honor them who can,, but in my case, 5 pds of steel plates, screws, and wire holding me together, and a bottle of pills, shuffling is a honor for me,))

LOL...!  Now that is funny but I can relate to some of it myself.   My drive to build has never fell any over the years...it just changed my building style some.   if anything it has expanded I have interest in trying out the larger scale kits as well now mostly to see just how much added detail I can put into one....for that the bigger the better...more opportunity for it. 

11 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

I did an inventory a while back and found out that I had a dozen of some of my favorite kits.   I'd go to shows and see one at a cheap price I couldn't pass up.  I just didn't realize I did that 12 times!

Don't feel bad. I've had a spread-sheet inventory for years and still do that.  I recently bought a 1/35 Trumpeter model of a Russian truck, and got home to find I already had one.  I really should put that inventory on my phone and carry it with me at all times.

I exercise by walking several miles at a huge flea market every Wed., and sometimes another flea market on Sat. 

At flea markets, I'm to the point where I often see model car kits and pass them up.  

Which surprises me!  I used to snag everything, using that excuse "for parts."  I try to be more selective nowadays.  With a few exceptions. I always pick up old AMT Trophy Kits, in any version - the '32 and '40 Fords etc.  Easy and fun to build, and hold a lot of memories for this old geezer. 

The flea market yesterday made it easy for me.  The only car kits for sale were old NASCAR stuff.  Quite a few, as usual.  Those are very easy to pass up...

I am only saying this because it is true.  I don't condone drug abuse, but I sure as heck understand it!  What do I mean?  Well, on rare occasions I have to take a course of Methaprednazone(AKA steroids) for joint or back inflammation.  I start the course and within a few days I get out of bed and realize that nothing hurts anymore.  You really don't know how much very low level chronic pain hampers you until you suddenly don't have it anymore.  If I could I would be on the stuff full time, but know that that would kill me pretty quick.  Don't and won't abuse drugs, but boy do I understand what drives some people to do it.  

21 hours ago, Pete J. said:

... You really don't know how much very low level chronic pain hampers you until you suddenly don't have it anymore...

I'm intimately familiar with the almost mind-numbing effects of "low level chronic pain", have been for years, which is why I've lived a large part of the time the last decade on high doses of ibuprofen and aspirin.

I realize a lot of people can't tolerate it as well as I'm thankfully able to, but I've found an interesting effect.

The MORE I exercise, like long hikes on semi-difficult terrain, the LESS I have need for pain killers the rest of the time.

Recently I had to do some very unpleasant physical therapy after an injury, and pain-killers got me through it.

I'm once again able to work a full day, or do a long hike, with only a couple of aspirin to take the edge off.

Had I relied only on pain meds, and declined the physical therapy, I'm convinced I would have become progressively more and more crippled up and useless.

I also have arthritis in one hand in particular, and the more I exercise the REST of my body, the less my hand hurts, and the more I can do with it.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

On 11/30/2017 at 7:54 AM, unclescott58 said:

I'm using my Optivisor more and more. It is getting more and more helpful as time goes on. Cataract surgery or not. 

I have used an Optivisor for at least 20 years.  The difference for me is that I have gone from 3 diopters to 5 and am now at 7 sometimes I break out the ten.  I have also started using them over my bifocal reading glasses.  When 10 doesn't work any more it will be time to quit, but not one minute before. 

On 11/29/2017 at 9:26 AM, Ace-Garageguy said:

Some of you guys really need to push yourselves a little harder. 

Most people don't HAVE to deteriorate and become shuffling, fat, easily winded old fossils.

It's a choice.

Every time I sit on my butt for a while (anything longer than a few days) it's that much harder to get back in some kind of reasonable shape...and every time it hurts more to do it.

But you know what? I can STILL hike 15 miles in a day, and put in a full week's work on cars...usually accomplishing at least as much as men half my age.

Sure, I hurt at the end of the day, and I hurt like hell in the mornings, but it beats being an old blob living on prescription meds and whining about "I can't".

And after some coffee, a couple of aspirin, and a long hot shower, I feel pretty much as good as I ever did...most days anyway.  

And vision? Strenuous exercise increases the blood flow to everything, and my vision is ALWAYS sharper when I've been active.

Exercise also releases endorphins...naturally occurring "feel good" chemicals. Better mood, less fatigue and pain.

If you're not already completely over the hill from inactivity, you can most likely improve the quality of your life (dramatically) by working up a regular sweat.

Your profile or a not tell what year you were born Bill. So just how old are you anyway ?

1 hour ago, misterNNL said:

Your profile or a not tell what year you were born Bill. So just how old are you anyway ?

The internet being what it is, I never post my age. Anywhere. Let's just say I arrived here shortly not too long after the end of WW II. 

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

8 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

I'm intimately familiar with the almost mind-numbing effects of "low level chronic pain", have been for years, which is why I've lived a large part of the time the last decade on high doses of ibuprofen and aspirin.

I realize a lot of people can't tolerate it as well as I'm thankfully able to, but I've found an interesting effect.

The MORE I exercise, like long hikes on semi-difficult terrain, the LESS I have need for pain killers the rest of the time.

Recently I had to do some very unpleasant physical therapy after an injury, and pain-killers got me through it.

I'm once again able to work a full day, or do a long hike, with only a couple of aspirin to take the edge off.

Had I relied only on pain meds, and declined the physical therapy, I'm convinced I would have become progressively more and more crippled up and useless.

I also have arthritis in one hand in particular, and the more I exercise the REST of my body, the less my hand hurts, and the more I can do with it.

You are one of the lucky ones.  I have to disagree with your thoughts about pushing yourself.  There is a lot in growing old that exercise will not or cannot cure.  No exercise on the planet has ever been proven to counter cancer!  I had my first round in my early twenties, likely due to a drug I was given as a child.  I was in SEA at the time it occurred so it is also possible the agent orange was involved, at least that is what the VA concedes.  But what does that have to do with getting older?  Well, the proscribed treatment at the time was radiation therapy.  My cardiologist now tells me that the scaring from radiation is likely the major cause of 4 heart attacks and a v-fib issue that resulted in a pace maker.  In addition to the cancer in the 20's, I have also had prostate and thyroid cancer and some minor basal cell.  None of this would have been effected with "pushing yourself".  Sometimes the body is just like an engine.  It wears out.  For the majority of my life I was very fit and not afraid to exert myself physically, but at 68 things are catching up with me.  I do exercise regularly, but the body just isn't as receptive to "pushing" as it once was.  Hard as I may push, maintenance is the best I can hope for and my heart issues are a major limiting factor in the exercise I can do.  Congratulations on the being lucky enough to have dodged some of the issues, but being critical of others who are not so lucky is inappropriate.

16 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

I'm intimately familiar with the almost mind-numbing effects of "low level chronic pain", have been for years,

I wake up every morning with my back and joints hurting.  I always hobble off to the shower where I stand in a hot stream for a while.  My right shoulder hurts if I stretch or reach too far.  My groin has a sharp pain when I stretch out, as in getting in a car. Sometimes it just stings down my leg.  I attribute that one to when I fell out of the tree this summer.  I have arthritis in my left hand.  I always say if it wasn't for the aches and pains, I wouldn't know I was alive.

A week or so ago, I had a bit too much vodka and woke up the next morning without a single pain... I thought I was dead!    I'll have to try that one again.

9 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

The internet being what it is, I never post my age. Anywhere. Let's just say I arrived here shortly not too long after the end of WW II. 

I respect your decision about not posting your age. My mom and dad were on their way to see a preacher about getting married when the president came on the radio to make the announcement about the attack on Pearl Harbor. Dad said they pulled his '39 Chevy over to the side of the road to listen. I made my debut the following year.

13 hours ago, Pete J. said:

... Congratulations on the being lucky enough to have dodged some of the issues, but being critical of others who are not so lucky is inappropriate.

FIRST: You probably shouldn't assume anything about whether or not I've dodged any age-related health issues. I have several, but I don't choose to make my medical history public on the internet.

SECOND: My experience with said issues has given me first-hand and convincing experience of the benefits of vigorous exercise, whether it hurts to do it or not.

I've already mentioned that I UNDERSTAND some people get seriously injured, and some people get life-changing and life-threatening illnesses. I mentioned Harry's cancer. You're right...no amount of exercise will cure cancer or put people back together.

But with 60% of people in this country now being significantly overweight, and all the medical literature to back up the assertion that overweight and inactivity ADDS TO AGING-RELATED ILLNESS, I'm only reminding people WHO STILL HAVE CHOICES that many of the health problems they have might be, at least in part, THEIR OWN FAULT.

Medical research has demonstrated a pretty convincing link between overweight, inactivity and colon cancer and diabetes.

https://www.cancer.gov/about-cancer/causes-prevention/risk/obesity/physical-activity-fact-sheet

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/08/110823165448.htm

Edited by Ace-Garageguy