Model Cars Magazine Forum

Drill Bits

Does anyone know where to get a quality set of micro drill bits? I bought an Enkay push drill and 61-80 bit set from P/A and the drill won't hold the bits on center. I went to a local R/C dealer and bought a good micro hand drill, but the bit set I bought separately is BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH! Possibly a jeweler?

Thanks. 

Edited by NOBLNG

52 minutes ago, rel14 said:

Harbor freight has a package with micro bits,  its around $8.00,  they would fine on plastic models,  and they hurt really bad when you stick one in your finger too........ there 0,5mm  up to 3.0mm

I also have this set, and with their 20% coupon it is even less.  In case you are not a "frequent flyer' of HF, they almost always have an ad w/coupon in many of the automotive magazines.

Just be advised...a lot of Harbor Freight stuff is crapp.

I've had regular-size drill bits from them go dull drilling one hole in aluminum.

Granted...SOMETIMES you get decent quality there, but if you actually want to USE your tools, you're probably better off springing for a few extra bucks.

NOTE: ANYBODY FEEL FREE to let us know if the micro-bits from Harbor Freight will drill more than two or three holes in styrene.

If they WILL, I'll go get some myself.   ;)

I'll second Chris with McMaster Carr.  If you want really good bits look up circuit board drill bits. https://www.mcmaster.com/#circuit-board-drill-bits/=1bilazv  They are much more expensive but they are carbide bits and are much better quality.  They stay sharp longer but will snap easier if you get a little off center.  I use them for making little bitty holes in little bitty parts. That piece of brass in .020" wide!

clip drilled.jpg

14 minutes ago, R.J said:

Check with a local Dealer/Mechanic shop that has a Snap-on tool dealer, their Blue Point line makes a high quality set of micro bits with the pin vise.

Yeah...for two or three times the $$ that you can buy the exact same set for somewhere else...

I used to buy almost exclusively Snap-on, but they've become as big a rip as 3M.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

I get my drill bits from Harbor Freight mainly because of the cost.  I don't do a lot of drilling, but when I do, they work just fine for me.  I bought two sets of their micro drill bits and two mini drill bit sets and they have lasted me for a years, even if they are cheap bits.  I'm retired and I don't have a lot of extra cash to spend on expensive drill bits and pieces for my model building hobby.  I would rather spend as little as possible and take care of my equipment to get the maximum usage out of my gear.  I am aware that cheap cost doesn't always mean high quality-you get what you pay for.  The amount of drilling I do with what I have is fine with me.  If  bit goes dull or breaks on me, then that is the price I pay.   

Edited by mrmike

I've been using the Zona micro drill bits; so far so good. I have one #72 bit glued between two pieces of half-round Evergreen to make a 3/32" shank; chucked that into the little battery-operated grinder I got at Michael's a while back, and by using only one battery and a light touch on the switch it's like a powered pin vise.

Thanks all! I am thinking McMaster may be the best bet. I want to check with a couple of local suppliers on Monday first. It is a zona set that I got from the R/C dealer. Under a microscope anything smaller than #70 is not sharpened with a tapered point. Very poor quality in my mind. It is doubtful that I will ever need the smaller sizes, but if I am paying $25 bucks for a set, I think they all should be useable!

I use this for drilling in plastic.

https://www.amazon.com/General-Tools-92-Swivel-Head/dp/B000BQW5XS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1518405131&sr=8-2&keywords=general+pin+vise

It works well and handles drills down to #80. I recommend high speed steel drills if you're drilling by hand. Carbide drills snap rather than bend, and they're best used in a milling machine or a drill press. That said, they work extremely well. 

On 2/10/2018 at 6:12 PM, Ace-Garageguy said:

https://www.micromark.com/mini-hand-tools/drill-bits-pin-vises

The 26104 set works well on plastic, but I always center-punch to start holes. and only use a pin-vise.

For drilling with "numbered" micro drill bits, I first twirl the very tip, lightly, of a #11 Xacto blade into a styrene surface,  then use a good quality pinvise to hold the drill bit.  Bit be careful, even with carbon steel drills, they can only flex a small bit then they break readily.

Here is the other set which I was forced to buy as an up-sell, since the local R/C dealer would not refund or credit me for the absolutely useless Zona ones they originally sold me! They are useable?, but nowhere near the quality of the Morse ones.

IMG_2624.JPG

IMG_2630.JPG