Model Cars Magazine Forum

New reissue announcement from Round 2

3 minutes ago, Pat Minarick said:

Yes , I hope the body.is stock. That's all I'm needing!

I'd take a wild guess and say that since it says "Funny Car" on the box, it will more than likely be the funny car out of this kit. 

amt-nostalgic-drag-race-set-bronco_1_5539048ff91d7aed2627ac9e6772f7e3.jpg.4d0703912eaebcd3ddc23a0a871b3147.jpg

I would also take a wild guess that since you said you hoped it was stock, you probably need a body out of one of these two kits. 

lot-2-1969-cougar-eliminator-amp-cj428-amt-1-25-scale-model-kit-6529-6960-sealed-c8a46b2b86adc6e5f1b8a33c2754cdbc.jpg.f7d3e9c2c99f0b1794cce1b8f185ef07.jpg

1 hour ago, highway said:

I'd take a wild guess and say that since it says "Funny Car" on the box, it will more than likely be the funny car out of this kit. 

amt-nostalgic-drag-race-set-bronco_1_5539048ff91d7aed2627ac9e6772f7e3.jpg.4d0703912eaebcd3ddc23a0a871b3147.jpg

I would also take a wild guess that since you said you hoped it was stock, you probably need a body out of one of these two kits. 

lot-2-1969-cougar-eliminator-amp-cj428-amt-1-25-scale-model-kit-6529-6960-sealed-c8a46b2b86adc6e5f1b8a33c2754cdbc.jpg.f7d3e9c2c99f0b1794cce1b8f185ef07.jpg

I'm wanting a 67-8 body to make a fastback , hopefully a AMT 67-8 Mustang chassis would fit.

I know some of the older kits had pretty stock bodies on funny car chassis, was hoping to be able to use the body.

Already did the 6912-24-2010016_zps575c47b1.jpg.5e0c264f682205dbd1cafef912e10507.jpg

Edited by Pat Minarick

Pat, I have some good news and some bad news for you.  I just got out my original AMT annual Cougar and lined it up against a Model King Cougar Country funnycar body. It goes something like this.

Length, width and height of the body are identical. It would be fair to say the funnycar was modified from the annual moulds.

Front and rear bumpers, grilles and lights are identical, except that there is a chute mounting pad where the rear licence plate should go.  An easy fix.

Distance between front and rear wheel arches is identical

Door lines unaltered.

Hood is molded in place but completely stock.

Wipers, handles and badges have been removed.

Windshield surround is unaltered.

Windshield glass has a cutout for a blower or scoop.

The toughest part - the rear wheel arches have been radiussed up and rearwards with a stock-ish moulding on them.  The result looks something like a 1st gen Olds Toronado. Considering that you are doing a "what-if",  with the correct sized tyres you could almost get away with it.

After seeing the awesome job you did on the 69, I would say go for it!

Cheers

Alan

14 minutes ago, alan barton said:

Pat, I have some good news and some bad news for you.  I just got out my original AMT annual Cougar and lined it up against a Model King Cougar Country funnycar body. It goes something like this.

Length, width and height of the body are identical. It would be fair to say the funnycar was modified from the annual moulds.

Front and rear bumpers, grilles and lights are identical, except that there is a chute mounting pad where the rear licence plate should go.  An easy fix.

Distance between front and rear wheel arches is identical

Door lines unaltered.

Hood is molded in place but completely stock.

Wipers, handles and badges have been removed.

Windshield surround is unaltered.

Windshield glass has a cutout for a blower or scoop.

The toughest part - the rear wheel arches have been radiussed up and rearwards with a stock-ish moulding on them.  The result looks something like a 1st gen Olds Toronado. Considering that you are doing a "what-if",  with the correct sized tyres you could almost get away with it.

After seeing the awesome job you did on the 69, I would say go for it!

Cheers

Alan

The funny car kit was MPC, the '67-'68 annual kits were AMT.  They were competing companies at the time those kits were originally made, so one is not converted from the other. 

Good point Mark, I missed that!  Last thing I what to do is spread incorrect information. 

Never the less, the two bodies are extremely similar and don't display the type of differences in size and contour that you sometimes  see when MPC and AMT built the same car.  That's what probably stopped me noticing the difference in manufacturer - they even feel the same!

One last note for Pat or anyone else, there is a separate sunroof style escape panel in the centre of the roof, although I I figure it will disappear during the fastback conversion.

Cheers

Alan

28 minutes ago, alan barton said:

Good point Mark, I missed that!  Last thing I what to do is spread incorrect information. 

Never the less, the two bodies are extremely similar and don't display the type of differences in size and contour that you sometimes  see when MPC and AMT built the same car.  That's what probably stopped me noticing the difference in manufacturer - they even feel the same!

One last note for Pat or anyone else, there is a separate sunroof style escape panel in the centre of the roof, although I I figure it will disappear during the fastback conversion.

Cheers

Alan

I compared an AMT '68 body with the MPC funny a while back, and I had to look at the tool marks on the INSIDE of the body to tell that they didn't come from common tooling. That's how close they are.

I took a good pic of the rear wheel arch of the stock AMT body with a  nice ruler in the pic for anyone who wants to try converting the funny body back to stock. I can post it up tonight if anyone's interested.

6 hours ago, Pat Minarick said:

I'm wanting a 67-8 body to make a fastback , hopefully a AMT 67-8 Mustang chassis would fit.

Cougar wheelbase was three inches longer than Mustang, so, theoretically, not. Unless this is one of those cases where "scale dimensions stack" just happens to work out in your favor and you can get away with it.

28 minutes ago, alan barton said:

Cheers

Alan

Thank you,  the hole in the roof wouldn't be a problem, and it doesn't have to be built as a stock vehicle either. A pro- touring car would work too. Thanks again.

Just now, Snake45 said:

Cougar wheelbase was three inches longer than Mustang, so, theoretically, not. Unless this is one of those cases where "scale dimensions stack" just happens to work out in your favor and you can get away with it.

Yes, on my 69 I was able to move the front and rear suspension around enough. 

49 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

The AMT '69 Cougar underbody ought to work; after all, it originated with their '67/'68 kits.  It's got incorrect inner front fenders, though. 

It's been a while since I checked, but I seem to remember the windows from the AMT '66 Mustang coupe fitting a resin early Cougar body pretty well.  They have to be cut apart and fitted separately, but I usually do that anyway.  If these bodies are as close as suggested, the Mustang windows might work in the MPC body too.  It's worth a try if you have one of the Mustang kits sitting around (most everyone does).

The little I know of all things Cougar is that the '67 & '68 bodies are different than the '69 and newer Cougars. While the rear bumpers and front grill and bumper look similar they are different. The '67 & '68 Cougars also had a very distinct rear quarter design and the '69 and newer shared the Mustang quarters from what I have seen in pictures. I would be interested in a well done stock '67 & '68 Cougar XR7.    

1 hour ago, Drago said:

Yes, just in case it allows me to reproduce Dan Gurney's Bud Moore 1967 Mercury Cougar,

Wondering if it does or doens't <_<

Probably not out of the box. Its going to have a funny car chassis. Dan Gurney's. was a Trans Am racer.

You'll have to do some creative kit bashing!

1 hour ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

Probably not out of the box. Its going to have a funny car chassis. Dan Gurney's. was a Trans Am racer.

You'll have to do some creative kit bashing!

Oh, that's ok for me .. My concern is exactly the body, because so far I only found it in resin.. I could use '69 as a donor...

Thanks ;-)

22 minutes ago, Drago said:

Oh, that's ok for me .. My concern is exactly the body, because so far I only found it in resin.. I could use '69 as a donor...

Thanks ;-)

My suggestion would be to use the 67 or 68 Mustang chassis. It's the right generation and the detail would be better.

I'm using the Mustang interior tub on my Cougar fastback build. The following pic shows how I cut out part of the rear wheel wells of the Cougar chassis in order to clear the rear seat area of the Mustang tub:

DSC01497-vi.jpg

I tried a test fit of the Mustang chassis, and it just didn't seem right on the Cougar.