Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Where did that Li'l Coffin come from ?

What's really a shame about the car now...like so many "restorations" and "reconstructions" and "tributes"... is that the rebuilder missed so many of the subtleties of proportion and line that made the original a good-looking machine, and the re-do is half-backside excrement.

See how many of the just flat wrong things you can find about the "restored" version.

Lil-coffin-dave-stuckey.jpg

0903sr_04_z+lil_coffin+.jpg

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

31 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

See how many of the just flat wrong things you can find about the "restored" version.

IMHO, the original is so ugly that there's nothing you can do to it to make it any worse. Or better, for that matter. 

Oh, wait. The wheels are cool. End of list. 

1 minute ago, Snake45 said:

IMHO, the original is so ugly that there's nothing you can do to it to make it any worse. Or better, for that matter. 

Oh, wait. The wheels are cool. End of list. 

Aside from the resemblance of the car's face to this, I've always rather liked it...

image.jpeg.e577a4ed1b708cf7d0f412ace303f3b0.jpeg

The L'il Coffin had so many rebuilds and changes over the years that when Darryl wanted to restore it, he said it was too far gone, so he started fresh. Yes, there were changes made, such as relocating the door hinges but that was done so the doors would open smoothly :) Other changes were made and each one had a reason. 

In the '60s, when Darryl first bought the car and changed it, it was because Monogram wanted him to and that was when they brought out the kit. In the early '70s, when the car was off the show circuit, Darryl was offered a pile of $$$ to rebuild the car as an ad campaign, so he did :) 

FYI...I have bodies in at least 4 different colours of red, purple, metallic red. 

Edited by Howard Cohen

44 minutes ago, Howard Cohen said:

The L'il Coffin had so many rebuilds and changes over the years that when Darryl wanted to restore it, he said it was too far gone, so he started fresh. Yes, there were changes made, such as relocating the door hinges but that was done so the doors would open smoothly :) Other changes were made and each one had a reason. 

In the '60s, when Darryl first bought the car and changed it, it was because Monogram wanted him to and that was when they brought out the kit. In the early '70s, when the car was off the show circuit, Darryl was offered a pile of $$$ to rebuild the car as an ad campaign, so he did :) 

That rendition doesn't exactly jibe with the 2010 story that Greg linked to in the opening post.   http://retrorides.proboards.com/thread/93064

I can live with the different grille and grille shell, but the way the top is done kills it for me. The original was so graceful but the re-do looks thick and cumbersome. 

Edited by Draggon

5 hours ago, Draggon said:

I can live with the different grille and grille shell, but the way the top is done kills it for me. The original was so graceful but the re-do looks thick and cumbersome. 

Yes, the top is really what kills it, it's too thick and doesn't have the slight rake the original did.

Often overlooked is the Aurora 1/32nd scale rendition of Dave Stuckey's car.  Issued as the 32 Skidoo and as you can see, it is surprisingly accurate except for the 409 that appeared in all but one of the Aurora range.  Aurora then did some chopping up of it's own, adding a gun turret to the roof, a unicycle mounted in the front fender and some sort of mount on the running board, not to mention pink plastic. 

I built the candy red version about 20 years ago .  The pink glue bomb from a friend in Adelaide a couple of years ago. I never did get around to painting the roof insert on the original model and don't have any special plans for the pink one just yet.

IMG_3949.JPG

Aurora 1932 Ford Sedan .JPG

On 5/5/2018 at 3:42 PM, Draggon said:

I wonder if the change to the roof was to strengthen this one in comparison to the original.

• 3 months later...

This is my all time favourite show rod. I have built it a few times and just love the artist rendered boxes as the best boxes ever , the original is great, but the haunted house box is by far the best.Though thats my opinion only.
the 1-1 copy is beset just like those Hollywood remakes of classic films that don't match up to the original by trying to go that little bit more/better but failing dismally.

The front runner for desecration of this iconic car is the un cantilevered roof. Please someone steal it and re cut it(don't forget to give it back now ;) ) . Next I notice the tyres stick out to much though the white wall treatment as in the model do improve the look though these on the 1-1 do look a little toooo wide on the front. From the picture I can't tell too much but the front end looks similar though the lights look repositioned so if anyone is going to re chop it(as above) put these back in their right place.

Well thats all I can see from here, but we do wonder why the changes were made?

Seeya, J.

Edited by HotRodaSaurus
text added

............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Edited by Casey