Model Cars Magazine Forum

Re-engineering Monograms Lotus Esprit...new update!

Dann Tier

Hey, everyone!, Here is how i dealt with the front end suspension lowering. Wish i woulda got to it sooner for you, Randy, but here it is.....

-Photo 1; Here are the bits for the job....to make the slide that the spindles are attached to, i just carefully cut the lips off the C-channel.

-Photo 2; Cant remember the size of rod i used for the spindles, but it was barely loose in there, which helps with Canter, and Camber.....i always use a thicker glue for mounting my wheels, and tyres. E6000 craft glue is my favorite, it gives you time to tweak things....fills in the loose space, and cures great!!

-Photo 3; Starting position, which happens to be where i'm gonna set it at.

-Photo 4; Look how high the spindle on the left can slide up.....drastically lowering the car!!....notice the one on the right is still at the start position.

FINAL THOUGHTS; This technique can be used to fix so many issues....including kits that were built right, but doesnt fit flat on all fours. Hope this helps with other kits as well!!

DSCF8570.JPG

DSCF8571.JPG

DSCF8567.JPG

DSCF8569.JPG

DSCF8576.JPG

DSCF8578.JPG

DSCF8574.JPG

Edited by Dann Tier

• 1 month later...
On 9/8/2019 at 4:18 PM, randyc said:

Mine is done.  Not as nice as yours, but off my bench!!!  Guess I should take some photos...

Can't wait to see how yours ends. Glad you're back.

I bet it feels good to get it off your bench though!!......last i saw of yours was when you lowered it....it looked good to me!.....Thought we were done with the house, then the realitor had some other things we should do, so today is the (new) last day of working on it. We told him that this is it, we wont do anything else, lol

1 hour ago, Dann Tier said:

I bet it feels good to get it off your bench though!!......last i saw of yours was when you lowered it....it looked good to me!.....Thought we were done with the house, then the realitor had some other things we should do, so today is the (new) last day of working on it. We told him that this is it, we wont do anything else, lol

Good for ya!  On the house, that is.

On 9/8/2019 at 3:21 PM, Dann Tier said:

Hey, everyone!, I've been gone for quite a while now, and havent worked on anything except remodelling a house to sell. I will be back to building in the next day or so, starting with this Lotus, and my 1/12 Countach...thanks for following!! -God bless!!

Same with me Dann, had packed away a lot of my modelling dtuff for a house move that didn't happen, i've unpacked it and made progress over the last month, but now we are going to move again, so it's all going to get repacked!

welcome back to the bench "let's git 'em done"

5 minutes ago, Funkychiken said:

Same with me Dann, had packed away a lot of my modelling dtuff for a house move that didn't happen, i've unpacked it and made progress over the last month, but now we are going to move again, so it's all going to get repacked!

welcome back to the bench "let's git 'em done"

Thanks, bud!, sorry to here about your moving situation, i know its rough...i hope it all goes quickly, and smoothly, so that you can build again too!!!

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, beeRS said:

I've been watching this (and your other projects). Great to see you back on them. I have no idea how you multi-task so well.

Thanks for following, Sonny!!....I have some more Lotus coming soon!!   -I'm pretty sure i get my multi-tasking from my military service, lol

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Dann,

I just went through this entire thread. Thanks for posting! I have the Sport kit as well as the regular Turbo kit, and I had the (probably misguided) plan to bash them into something that resembled an X180R race car. After reading about your issues, I'm a little afraid to try to tackle this one straight out of the box! Maybe someday, after I stock up on beer and aspirin, I'll have a go at it.

Ben (the new guy)

5 hours ago, Ben Brown said:

Hi Dann,

I just went through this entire thread. Thanks for posting! I have the Sport kit as well as the regular Turbo kit, and I had the (probably misguided) plan to bash them into something that resembled an X180R race car. After reading about your issues, I'm a little afraid to try to tackle this one straight out of the box! Maybe someday, after I stock up on beer and aspirin, I'll have a go at it.

Ben (the new guy)

Welcome, Ben!, and i'm glad you you stopped in to check it out! I coulda swore that a resin company made the one you are talking about, but it was only curbside. Sadly, i think its out of production now -not sure. I know i said before that i would be back to this one soon, but life keeps getting in the way lately. I will keep trying to get more done as soon as i can.

On 10/9/2019 at 8:01 AM, Ben Brown said:

Hi Dann,

Ben (the new guy)

Oh Ben, go ahead and dive in.   Just know that there are issues you will have to face.   I did a thread as well, using Dann's information here, and solved issues on my own as well.  Deciding how to get the ride height resolved early is very important on this kit.  And if you are even considering a tire change, do it early so you have that out of the way.  

Thanks for the encouragement! I'll eventually get around to tackling this one. I'm using my limited skills with Inkscape to draw up the decals for Yesteryear Motorsports' X180R "Eleanor," as well as a couple of other future auto and aviation projects. I think becoming more proficient with that program is more difficult than modifying the plastic. ?

Cheers!

Ben